Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Last Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: Episode 45 - NBA 2K14 Deep Dive with Mike Wang (/forums/showthread.php?t=665056)

Steve_OS 09-25-2013 11:38 AM

Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: Episode 45 - NBA 2K14 Deep Dive with Mike Wang

Episode 45 is all about NBA 2K14 – and by extension, the PS3-360 generation NBA 2K franchise - as host Rich Grisham (@richgrisham) interviews Mike Wang (@Beluba), the Lead Gameplay Designer for the game. The two have a wide-ranging conversation about the generational transformation of NBA 2K, the road to NBA 2K14, an in-depth gameplay discussion, the decision process to significantly modify the controls again, and much more. If you love the NBA 2K series as much as we do, it’s a fascinating discussion about how these kinds of games come together.

Send us your feedback! We love to hear from you and can’t wait to read your stuff on the air in a future episode. Do it one of these ways:

1) Follow the show on Twitter at @PressRowPodcast and send us some Tweets while you’re there
2) Email the show at [email protected]
3) Respond to this post

Also, the Press Row Podcast is now available on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ow/id563624090) and Stitcher Radio (http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/oper...ss-row-podcast), so subscribe to it and rate it too!

Lastly, be sure to check out our friends at Weekend Confirmed right here: http://www.shacknews.com/tag/weekend-confirmed. If you’re not already a listener, give it a shot. We’re all big fans!

Enjoy the show!

Run Time: 1 Hour, 2 Minutes

If you can't view or listen to the embedded player below, please click here.

<iframe style="border: none" src="http://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/2485064/height/300/width/560/theme/legacy/direction/no/autoplay/no/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/preload/no/no_addthis/no/" height="300" width="560" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

JasonWilliams55 09-25-2013 01:08 PM

Re: Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: Episode 45 - NBA 2K14 Deep Dive with Mike W

Good stuff here around 39 minutes, right after the commercial.

Holding L1/LB (43:30ish)

In backcourt

"...it calls the full blown play for best guy on team in that situtation..."

In frontcourt

"...calls more or less the right set, the right freelance set and play w/in the freelance sets, most teams run 3 out 2 in or 4 out 1 in..."

RipCity71252 09-25-2013 01:32 PM

Re: Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: Episode 45 - NBA 2K14 Deep Dive with Mike W

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55 (Post 2045496987)
Good stuff here around 39 minutes, right after the commercial.

Holding L1/LB (43:30ish)

In backcourt

"...it calls the full blown play for best guy on team in that situtation..."

In frontcourt

"...calls more or less the right set, the right freelance set and play w/in the freelance sets, most teams run 3 out 2 in or 4 out 1 in..."

Wow. That sounds so much better than the "Run Best Play" option from 2k13.

jyoung 09-25-2013 03:52 PM

The "dice roll" on steals is something that has existed in just about every basketball video game I can remember and has bugged the heck out of me for years. As someone who likes to play user defense on the ball handler at all times, it was one of those things that just made defense completely unfair and unfun to play.

Thank goodness a basketball video game will finally penalizes the ball handler for exposing the ball instead of having the defender's hand clip through the ball or charge the defender with a bogus foul call simply because he lost a dice roll.

The first thing you're taught as a ball handler is to keep your head up and use your off hand plus your body to shield the ball from defenders.

It amazes me that protecting the ball has never been a priority in basketball video games over the years, but thank goodness a developer is finally making ball security an important part of gameplay.

VDusen04 09-25-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyoung (Post 2045497512)
The "dice roll" on steals is something that has existed in just about every basketball video game I can remember and has bugged the heck out of me for years. As someone who likes to play user defense on the ball handler at all times, it was one of those things that just made defense completely unfair and unfun to play.

Thank goodness a basketball video game will finally penalizes the ball handler for exposing the ball instead of having the defender's hand clip through the ball or charge the defender with a bogus foul call simply because he lost a dice roll.

The first thing you're taught as a ball handler is to keep your head up and use your off hand plus your body to shield the ball from defenders.

It amazes me that protecting the ball has never been a priority in basketball video games over the years, but thank goodness a developer is finally making ball security an important part of gameplay.

Could you point me in the direction of when that was discussed during the podcast? Or could you at least summarize what was mentioned (unless what you already said pretty much sums it up).

I'm with you 100% on the "dice roll" dynamic. Post-patch 2K13 was about as rough as I've come across when it's come to stealing the basketball. Nearly any and all strategy felt absent, replaced almost entirely with the aforementioned "dice roll", which was heavily stacked against the defense. Faced up, unprotected, waist-high dribble? How about a defender reaches through the basketball and gets whistled for a foul. For a game in which turnovers already seemed tough to come by, a steal mechanic that basically trained gamers to never attempt to force an on-ball turnover was pretty frustrating.

blues rocker 09-25-2013 05:16 PM

awesome interview. definitely reinforces the passion and dedication to quality that 2k has.

Agame 09-25-2013 10:23 PM

Good Interview. Thanks- Can't wait for NEW GEN XBOX ONE GAME PLAY! More memory, Smarter A.I. .....Let's hope that Beluba can say he got what he wanted implemented into Next Gen.

MoultonHawk 09-26-2013 04:10 AM

The best 2K interview to date for me. Thank you.