Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Oktoberfest Awards: Madden NFL Arcade The Worst of the Indie/Arcade Games (/forums/showthread.php?t=667494)

RaychelSnr 10-02-2013 02:42 PM

Oktoberfest Awards: Madden NFL Arcade The Worst of the Indie/Arcade Games

Madden NFL Arcade

Throughout generations comes the good and bad. With the good, we get games that become priceless; games we would never want to trade in or throw away. But with those games comes the bad and the very bad. And with our focus on indie and arcade games this week during Oktoberfest, the bad brings us all the way back to Madden NFL Arcade.

Read More - Oktoberfest Awards: Madden NFL Arcade The Worst of the Indie/Arcade Games

BCDX97 10-02-2013 02:55 PM

I thought the NHL Arcade game was fantastic, but this game was a little lacking in the fun department, sadly.

jyoung 10-02-2013 03:03 PM

Re: Oktoberfest Awards: Madden NFL Arcade The Worst of the Indie/Arcade Games

Of the 50 or so online games I played in Madden NFL Arcade, I think 40 were against the Eagles and 10 were against the Titans.

Because of Michael Vick's and Vince Young's insane speed, those were the only two teams anyone bothered to use online.

Then a roster update came out that replaced Vince Young with Kerry Collins, and no one used the Titans anymore.

So online games became all Eagles, all the time. That was about the time I stopped playing.

RaychelSnr 10-02-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCDX97 (Post 2045522217)
I thought the NHL Arcade game was fantastic, but this game was a little lacking in the fun department, sadly.

The 3 on 3 NHL Arcade game was a fun little game, I think the price was even better for it too. I'm sick of companies thinking Arcade = shallow experiences though. IMHO having seasons and all of that sort of depth is just as important in Arcade titles.

lunaoso 10-02-2013 04:31 PM

Online was-
Mike Vick
Blitz every play so the other offense couldn't do anything.

RACZILLA 10-02-2013 04:48 PM

Maybe I was too close to it or it could be just burn out from working on sports sims, but when we released Madden Arcade I played the hell out of it. There was a group of us on the marketing team that would play pretty much every single day.

Can't really disagree with the general thought here as some valid points where made, but for whatever reason I legitimately enjoyed this one for a time.

jyoung 10-02-2013 05:29 PM

Re: Oktoberfest Awards: Madden NFL Arcade The Worst of the Indie/Arcade Games

3 on 3 NHL Arcade was definitely the better game of the two downloadable titles EA put out this generation.

It was $5 cheaper than Madden NFL Arcade, plus the gameplay was much more enjoyable.

But when you look at the feature list for 3 on 3 NHL Arcade, it really was pathetic compared to other arcade games of the time.

Simple things like saving the user's preferred camera and control method don't work at all.

Then there's maybe 20 NHL players total to choose from, with no actual NHL teams -- just generic red sweaters vs. generic blue sweaters. Yet the first thing you see when you boot up the game is the NHL licensing screen with all 30 team logos.

jmik58 10-02-2013 05:41 PM

I'm surprised no one has chimed in saying that regular Madden was the worst "arcade" game. ;)