Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   OS Roundtable: Recapping a Generation of Individual Sports Games (/forums/showthread.php?t=669197)

RaychelSnr 10-08-2013 02:28 PM

OS Roundtable: Recapping a Generation of Individual Sports Games

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13

From Tiger Woods PGA Tour to Forza Motorsport, we've always tended to classify games which involved an individual effort into the same category for simplicity. However, Top Spin and UFC Undisputed couldn't be more different. Several staff writers take a look at this sub-genre and how it stacked up over the course of the last generation.

Read More - OS Roundtable: Recapping a Generation of Individual Sports Games

SHAKYR 10-08-2013 05:18 PM

No Fight Night!?! I want to read what you had to say about that game.

JohnDoe8865 10-08-2013 08:38 PM

I was personally blown away by Fight Night Rd 3 when it came out. Graphically it was a showcase title and the boxing felt pretty good at the time. I was a huge Fight Night Round 4 fan. I thought that game was the greatest boxing game we got in this generation hands down. Did almost everything right in my opinion. I was less impressed with Fight Night Champion. I never really got into that one.

Jet Sufferer 10-08-2013 09:02 PM

Really think you guys are missing the boat on Tiger 14, they did revolutionize the game by simply making you NOT swing straight up and down anymore. This simple change brought the randomness and shot variety the series was crying for.

While 13 was fun, I was able to hit just about every fairway on PS3 and it was even easier on xbox where the stick has more of a "slot" for easy up and down swing shots.

The short game was improved greatly and you could pull of a variety of shots starting in 13 many of which were very satisfying, it has excellent "feel" in the short game, when you're in a groove you can get up and down like Mickelson, twitch a little and you'll hit a bad shot, good mechanic and fair.

As for the DLC model in 13 on the PS3 I got every single DLC course for free! Yes, free, from EA of all people! LOL

I predicted that was a one year miscalculation on their part and I was right, I subsequently got 14 for Xbox and bought all the DLC making it a $110 dollar game I believe, and I don't regret it one bit, unlike my unfortunate other purchases of a certain football game that shall remain nameless ;)

Feldman011teen 10-08-2013 10:02 PM

To hell with your Forza praise.

SHAKYR 10-09-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865 (Post 2045543479)
I was personally blown away by Fight Night Rd 3 when it came out. Graphically it was a showcase title and the boxing felt pretty good at the time. I was a huge Fight Night Round 4 fan. I thought that game was the greatest boxing game we got in this generation hands down. Did almost everything right in my opinion. I was less impressed with Fight Night Champion. I never really got into that one.

I'm a gameplay guy and none the Fight Nights had the core gameplay or boxing down right. All of them had much to desire as a huge gamer and boxing fan. Fight Night Champion had some great things in it but the story mode had taken away from giving the game a more polished feel. The tendency sliders was a great addition to the series but they were not responsive enough and the career mode got no real attention put in it.

eye guy 10-09-2013 03:14 AM

Fight Night Champion was garbage. They tried to simplify the controls by adding too much to the right stick, meaning the right stick only controlled your movement around the ring. No more user input for punching from angles.

Fight nought 2004 is still the best in the series imo...

Anyway, where were the mentions for Table Tennis? Stoked? Rugby League Live 2? Rugby Challenge? Honourable mentions I guess.

rtkiii 10-09-2013 09:45 AM

FN Round 4 was a great game. Played the crap out of that and I think it was the firs game where you could import faces... I thought that was a cool feature as well.