Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   whats the best defense to use against the run in madden? (/forums/showthread.php?t=67419)

esco 01-26-2004 02:45 AM

whats the best defense to use against the run in madden?

Fellas, I can't win my friend in madden. He runs almost all day and its hard to stop him. whats the best defense for the run and how do i place my linemen and libackers. Thanks for he help in advance.

snivlem 01-26-2004 10:12 PM

Re: whats the best defense to use against the run in madden?

well, I'd change my defense's style.

I guess it's the playbook.

I'd use baltimore's. or a generic 4-3, allthough I'm not sure there is a generic 4-3.

anyway, baltimore is pretty good at stopping the run...two big dt's and good de's.

So one of the best run stopping formations is the 4-3. where you have four guys on the line and three lbs behind them, waiting to annihilate a running back.

In general, if you care a ton about stopping the run, you'll have at least 4 guys on the line.

If you think the guy's going to run it up the middle, move your line closer together to close the gaps.

If you think he's going to run it outside, spread them out.

Linebackers are very important in stopping the run. If you stack all your guys real close to the line, in a blitz lets say, then all the opposing rb has to do is get through a hole and he's off to the races. So the lbs are the second line of defense, and you'd want to put them in position to get a shot at the rb in case the line misses him. If your line is spread out, the lbs should be sort of in the center, theoretically filling the gaps of the line after the play starts. If your line is bunched up, to stop the run up the middle, the lbs could be spread out, to catch a running back trying to break it to the outside.

If one side of his offensive line is crowded (if there are more people on one side as opposed to the other) then chances are he's running to that side.

Also, if he mainly runs, you don't want to have your cbs waaaay back in zone coverage. You can still play zone, but bring them up during obvious running situations.

thats all the help I can think of right now, hope some of it helps and isn't incorrect.