Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   EA Sports Comments On The Future Of NCAA (/forums/showthread.php?t=676973)

BenGerman 11-03-2013 09:45 PM

EA Sports Comments On The Future Of NCAA

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/2/505...tm_source=t.co

Quote:

NCAA football is another matter. With the loss of the NCAA license, the future of a college football franchise seems clear. In short, there is no future without it.

"Just like with Madden and the NFL, you need a connection to the players," he said. "You need a connection to the teams."

For now, EA and Soderlund are concentrating on what they can do with the properties they have. And that, of course, brings us back to next-gen gaming ,which is something that he and the company are excited for.
Not much, but further confirms that we won't be seeing a game from EA until the licensing and likeness stuff is cleared up.

I adamantly believe we'll be getting a college football game sometimes in the next few years. With the self-publishing available on consoles, I wouldn't be surprised if an independent developer takes a shot. Even if they don't, someone will give it a shot. All that said, I still think the likeness stuff gets cleared up after a couple of years, and we might not have to deal with a generic title. We'll see.

Falacer 11-03-2013 10:01 PM

Re: EA Sports Comments On The Future Of NCAA

IMO player likeness for a CFB game doesn't matter what stats they give the Texas A&M QB because places like this will have custom rosters for each team within week(s) of the game being released. I hope someone like 2K Sports can get back into making football games including a NFL game IF (hopefully) the NFL doesn't renew the exclusive licensing to EA Sports.

NEOPARADIGM 11-03-2013 10:39 PM

Was going to start a new thread, but this seems like a good place:

What they should do in the interim is optimize NCAA 14 for next-gen consoles: same code, but performance-optimized (1080p, locked at 60fps, or 120fps since I'm probably just dreaming anyway), throw in a playoff option, and release it as a PS360 "classic" in digital format.

I'd pay full price or at least $40 for that.

RangersCruz 11-03-2013 10:42 PM

Could 2k pick this up?

BenGerman 11-03-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM (Post 2045625606)
Was going to start a new thread, but this seems like a good place:

What they should do in the interim is optimize NCAA 14 for next-gen consoles: same code, but performance-optimized (1080p, locked at 60fps, or 120fps since I'm probably just dreaming anyway), throw in a playoff option, and release it as a PS360 "classic" in digital format.

I'd pay full price or at least $40 for that.

From what I've heard, it wouldn't be quite that easy. Porting the game over would require a decent amount of work.

But yeah, I agree. That would be nice.

RedSoxFox7 11-04-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersCruz (Post 2045625614)
Could 2k pick this up?

2K can do whatever they want, but it's unlikely the NCAA, CLC, conferences, and/or member schools will be licensing anything any time soon, at least not until the O'Bannon case is finished.

SalvArmyMatt 11-04-2013 01:05 AM

Now would be the perfect opportunity to create a generic, fully customizable College Football game and release it summer '14. People could edit and create season files and share them.

I think it would be awesome, actually. I've always kind of hated having to start my dynasties in the current season. Wouldn't it be cool to start in 1960 and try to change history? Get to experience the Big 8 and the Southwest Conference? I guess that just interests me.

With NCAA 15 not existing, people will get that college football itch and buy the game next summer! there is some serious cash to be made (possible this coming summer only!).

Somebody better jump on it... or by golly, I will!!!!

NEOPARADIGM 11-04-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenGerman (Post 2045625627)
From what I've heard, it wouldn't be quite that easy. Porting the game over would require a decent amount of work.

But yeah, I agree. That would be nice.

Well sure it would take work, and would cost money too, but it could be accomplished with a very small team and thus minimal cost. With no college football on next-gen and moreover no college football game at all, there's gotta be plenty of room to turn a profit there.

And anyway, I was more saying it's a way to sideskirt the legal stuff if you're technically not releasing a "new" game but instead rolling out a "classic" title. But maybe I'm wrong about that, too.