Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Old Gen (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   EA-NFL Exclusive License (/forums/showthread.php?t=701108)

tdogg097 01-11-2014 02:32 AM

EA-NFL Exclusive License

My apologies if this topic has already been discussed. According to the ultra reliable wiki the NFL exclusive deal ended after the 2012 season with EA. Does anyone know if that is correct? Or was a new deal struck and wiki is just incorrect. I'm just wondering if EA will ever get competition again.

Charles Xavyer 01-11-2014 02:35 AM

Re: EA-NFL Exclusive License

EA still has an agreement with the NFLPA...

Someone could try to compete, but they won't be able to use player names, or likenesses..

ginix 01-11-2014 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Xavyer (Post 2045849820)
EA still has an agreement with the NFLPA...

Someone could try to compete, but they won't be able to use player names, or likenesses..

Seriously all they need to do is open up roster customisation to the players and it's not a problem. Stadiums are another problem themselves but honestly I couldn't care about that if the game is better than EA's product.

Multi 01-11-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogg097 (Post 2045849814)
My apologies if this topic has already been discussed. According to the ultra reliable wiki the NFL exclusive deal ended after the 2012 season with EA. Does anyone know if that is correct? Or was a new deal struck and wiki is just incorrect. I'm just wondering if EA will ever get competition again.

The license was originally set to expire in 2012, but due to the lockout the NFLPA extended it by a year. It'll now expire in March this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginix (Post 2045849871)
Seriously all they need to do is open up roster customisation to the players and it's not a problem. Stadiums are another problem themselves but honestly I couldn't care about that if the game is better than EA's product.

The game wouldn't sell so a big studio would be unlikely to commit. Best bet would be an independent, Kickstarter type of thing.

dso122783 01-11-2014 11:53 AM

Hmm, an NFL game with real everything, or a "Pro Football" game with generic names and teams...?

Cre8 01-11-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dso122783 (Post 2045850341)
Hmm, an NFL game with real everything, or a "Pro Football" game with generic names and teams...?

If APF2K8 had been opened to be generic with a deep 'franchise' mode and a 32 team league it would have been considered among the best of last generation's sports games.

I still play it when I get fed up with Madden/NCAA.

With the NCAA Football series not coming back in the foreseeable future, don't think for a moment that 2K or another developer will just watch EA walk away with football.

(I say that with high hopes)

xdghgyhpeng 01-13-2014 06:14 AM

Someone could try to compete,

PRO318 01-16-2014 06:30 PM

Ithink there was nfl games that didn't have nflpa license but had nfl license still used players likenesses an names