Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Hockey Dynasties (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   OIL CHANGE: Restoring the Glory of the Edmonton Oilers (NHL 14 Sim) (/forums/showthread.php?t=704965)

SENS_AK27 01-27-2014 05:46 PM

OIL CHANGE: Restoring the Glory of the Edmonton Oilers (NHL 14 Sim)

The Edmonton Oilers have been the laughing stock of the NHL over the past few years and have failed to make the playoffs in the past 7 years. Despite having 3 #1 Draft Picks the Oilers once again appear to be out of playoff contention and the team is heading towards another top 3 pick. One has to wonder if the franchises failures lie with the Senior Management Team or does it go a bit deeper.

In this NHL 14 Sim Chise, I'll be picking up the reigns as the General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers and attempting to make this team competitive in the next 5 years. I'll be simming the 2013-14 season in an attempt to recreate this season and potential draft position for the team before taking over.

I will also have strict Trading and Free Agency Rules in place to prevent me from taking advantage of the lackluster AI logic in the game. I will also be using a Custom Roster, with actual team prospects and future draft prospects for the next 2 years.

The season will be updated (hopefully) once a week in a monthly recap.

SENS_AK27 01-27-2014 05:54 PM

Re: OIL CHANGE: Restoring the Glory of the Edmonton Oilers (NHL 14 Sim)

I'll be following this up with a post with my Trade and Free Agency Rules (inspired by Leafs Seattle Rules) as well as the slider set I'll be using.

SENS_AK27 01-28-2014 05:52 PM

GM GUIDELINES

TRADES:
- Only 4 trades allowed per Calendar year, resetting after the Entry Draft
- 2 Additional Trades can be completed on the Trade Deadline and on the Entry Draft
- Team 1st Round Picks can only be traded at the Entry Draft, to either move up or to trade out of the round.

WAIVERS:
- Only allowed 2 Waiver pickups per season

FREE AGENCY:
- A maximum of 3 Free Agents with an Overall of 75 or high can be signed per season.
- Cannot sign a Free Agent with an overall of 80 or higher until the team has had a winning season (above .500 winning %)
- Cannot sign a Free Agent with an overall of 84 or higher until the team has made the playoffs
- Cannot sign a Free Agent of 88 or higher until the team has won a playoff series

INTERNAL CAP:
- The team will have an internal salary cap of $10M below the cap until the team has had a winning season (above .500 winning %)
- The team will have an internal salary cap of $5M below the cap until the team has made the playoffs.

SENS_AK27 01-30-2014 07:20 PM

RULES & SLIDER SETTINGS

Custom rules I'll be using for the Sims. From my experience they produce realistic statistics.

Offsides: Delayed
Icing: On
Injuries: On
Penalties Max (6)
Post Whistle: Authentic
Pen time scaling: 4
Fighting: 3

Gameplay General (HUM/CPU)
Broken sticks: 3
Game Speed: 5
Attribute Effcts: Max (6)
Fatigue Effect: 5/5
Fatigue Recovery: 1/1
Injuries: 2/2
Puck Control: 1/1
Player Acceleration: 1/1

AI
AI Learning: Max (6)
CPU Diff: 5
CPU Strategy Adjust: Max (6)
Human Strategy: 0
Faceoff Difficulty 4
CPU Fight Diff: 3
CPU Penalties: Max (6)
Teammate Pens: Max (6)

Passing
Pass Assist: 2
Manual Passing: On
Pass Speed: 3
Saucer Speed: 3
Pass Accuracy: 1/1
Reception Ease: 1/1
Interceptions: 5/5

Shooting
Shot Power: 3/3
Shot Accuracy: 3/3
Slap Shot Power: 4/4
Slap Shot Accuracy: 2/2
One-Timer Accuracy: 3/3

Checking
Hit Assist: 2
Aggression: 6/6
Hit Power: 2/2
Stick Lift: 4/4
Poke: 3/4

Goaltenders
Passing: 1/1
Cover Puck: 6/6
Screen Effect: 3/3
Reaction Speed: 5/5

SENS_AK27 01-30-2014 07:21 PM

I'm just about to start the SIM for the 2013-14 season. I plan on having a season recap by the end of the week.

bthomp05 01-31-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SENS_AK27 (Post 2045908692)
I'm just about to start the SIM for the 2013-14 season. I plan on having a season recap by the end of the week.

Excellent, looking forward to it.

SENS_AK27 01-31-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bthomp05 (Post 2045911012)
Excellent, looking forward to it.

Glad to see your following BT. Good to see you on these forums once again.

SENS_AK27 01-31-2014 11:10 PM

OILERS PLUMMET IN THE STANDINGS
Neil Mackenzie - Edmonton Journal (C) 2014

After getting off to a hot start, which saw the Edmonton Oilers go on a 5 game winning streak, the team has plummeted back to reality amidst a 8 game losing streak. The losing streak is just another in a series of setbacks the team has faced over the course of the season. Injuries have plagued the team, right from the opening week. First, Center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins went down with a broken leg, just 4 games into the season then newly acquired defenseman Andrew Ference was injured after colliding with his own teammate.

Then in mid November, when the team appeared to be getting healthy again more injuries occurred. This time it was LW Taylor Hall who was sidelined after falling awkwardly into the boards, then Andrew Ference reaggravated a previously healed groin injury, leading him to be sidelined indefinitely.

The teams terrible record can't all be blamed on the injuries however, terrible team defense and questionable goaltending has also been a downfall for the young team. With the Oilers losing games in which they score 5 or 6 goals, there leaves no doubt that the team has to improve on their defensive zone play.

The poor goaltending has led to some changes in net, as GM Craig MacTavish was clearly in the hot seat after the teams losing streak hit 5 games. He attempted to shore up his net by first dealing Devan Dubnyk to Nashville and then later signing enigmatic free agent Ilya Bryzgalov to a one year contract. Despite Bryzgalov's pedestrian numbers, MacTavish added some depth by trading for LA's Ben Scrivens.

MacTavish has been slowly reforming this roster over the course of the season, first by casting off unproductive players such a Linus Omark, Ladislav Smid and Mike Brown and has brought in new talent such as 4th line Center Matt Hendricks and Oklahoma 1st line Center Roman Horak. Despite all this, the Oilers sit firmly entrenched in last place and it appears that Oilers fans will have to endure another losing season. Rumblings out of the City of Champions are saying that this playoff drought and losing culture isn't sitting well with the Katz family, who own a majority share in the Oilers. This could likely mean that MacTavish and company are still in the hot seat.