Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=497)
-   -   This Lack Of Pull Up Jumpers By The CPU Has Got To Be The Dumbest Ish Ever (/forums/showthread.php?t=719897)

313DBoy 04-01-2014 10:17 AM

This Lack Of Pull Up Jumpers By The CPU Has Got To Be The Dumbest Ish Ever

WOW....................... I just went and bought a PS4 and of course I grab 2k knowing the CPU should play a lil better than they did on last gen systems........................ Hell Naw, I cant believe that this issue carried over to the brand new systems. For 3 of the last 5 years I have posted about this issue to no avail (it was finally right in 2k13, and it was good in 2k11 also) and I think its something that NEEDS attention from more OS members.

Dont get me wrong, I think for the last 2 years the CPU has played amazing as far as scoring realistically, (the way they attack off the dribble, the way bigs play in the post, the ball movement, ect). So I think its just flat out lazy for 2k to ignore the fact that the CPU NEVER just pulls up to take a contested jumper (ya know, since this is something that EVERY great perimeter player does very often). Playing against MJ is not fun, playing against Melo is not fun, playing against Durant is not fun, why??????????? Cause its hard coded in this game for the CPU to NEVER even consider taking a jumper if a defender is close to them, not even from the triple threat after a jab step which happens at least 15 times in every game every night. It forces everybody to try to muscle to the basket on some Lebron type ****. The CPU will just keep running into the defender until they have a lane insted of using the created space for a jumper.

How the hell did this carry over to next gen??????? Especially since there has been patches since release. Do the devs even play the game at all??????? Did they just not ever see anyone mention this issue???????? Or did they notice it, but not think it was important enough to change????????? I mean, this has been going on for years on and off........ How can you be a basketball fan who is a developer for the GOAT sports franchise and not care if the best players in the world actually plays to their stregnths?????????

Crazy part is, I know the cycle will repeat itself. They will probably get it right next year then completely forget about it as always. Why 2k, why do us offline players like that?????

2_headedmonster 04-01-2014 11:00 AM

Re: This Lack Of Pull Up Jumpers By The CPU Has Got To Be The Dumbest Ish Ever

In you are in MyCareer, you of course have no options. But otherwise turn mid-range tendencies to 90.

Heroesandvillains 04-01-2014 03:00 PM

Couldn't agree more.

I'm new to the series, by the way, so I can't speak of legacy issues.

Though it's manageable with significant slider tweaks, it all seems like a band-aid on a hard-coded surgical slash. That requires extensive slider changes to overcome.

The cpu's priority number one is to always drive the paint. Period. And I hate having to adjust the game but it's a necessity (and it does help, by the way).

Again, pull up jumpers happen much more organically with mid-range turned up and attack the basket turned down. But we shouldn't have to do this. It takes a lot of slidering to compensate for.

Enjoying the game here. Don't get me wrong. It just makes me bitter that a game needs so much user tweaking to resemble real life basketball.

313DBoy 04-01-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster (Post 2046088498)
In you are in MyCareer, you of course have no options. But otherwise turn mid-range tendencies to 90.

I have tried all slider options and it just does not do what it suppose to do. If you turn take inside shots to 0, attack the basket to 0, take mid range to 100, take close shots to 100, they still power dribble and force pass into the paint insted of pulling up. It may make them take it sometimes, but NEVER when defended up close. This is the most common shot taken in the sport, I dont undeestand how this goes unnoticed or ignored.

313DBoy 04-01-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains (Post 2046089280)
Couldn't agree more.

I'm new to the series, by the way, so I can't speak of legacy issues.

Though it's manageable with significant slider tweaks, it all seems like a band-aid on a hard-coded surgical slash. That requires extensive slider changes to overcome.

The cpu's priority number one is to always drive the paint. Period. And I hate having to adjust the game but it's a necessity (and it does help, by the way).

Again, pull up jumpers happen much more organically with mid-range turned up and attack the basket turned down. But we shouldn't have to do this. It takes a lot of slidering to compensate for.

Enjoying the game here. Don't get me wrong. It just makes me bitter that a game needs so much user tweaking to resemble real life basketball.

TBH, the cpu really does resemble real life basketball well as far as every other offensive strategy but the pull up. CPU Wade looks great when attacking the basket, but IRL he sometimes will do his stepback and pull up, this is where the game drops the ball. This specific thing seperates all the great perimeter players from the rest of the bunch IRL.

Heroesandvillains 04-01-2014 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 313DBoy (Post 2046089845)
[/b]TBH, the cpu really does resemble real life basketball well as far as every other offensive strategy but the pull up. CPU Wade looks great when attacking the basket, but IRL he sometimes will do his stepback and pull up, this is where the game drops the ball. This specific thing seperates all the great perimeter players from the rest of the bunch IRL.

Oh yes. Don't get me wrong, love the game for the reasons you mentioned.

But with a Default CPU PIP at around 60 PPG, you can't say that offensive strategy is realistic out of the box. It's not.

PG's are hard coded it seems to drive to the hoop, with kick outs resulting on my defense that particular day. I'm not the biggest basketball fan lately, mainly because I haven't had cable this NBA season, but when I did I watched NBA ball a lot (because I do and still love it) and seem to recall a lot of plays DESIGNED with a mid-range jumper in mind.

Not as a result of getting brick-walled trying to drive the paint constantly.

That's not realistic. It's annoying.

Sometimes how you get to the results matter just as much as the result itself.

chickenboom 04-01-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains (Post 2046089926)
Oh yes. Don't get me wrong, love the game for the reasons you mentioned.

But with a Default CPU PIP at around 60 PPG, you can't say that offensive strategy is realistic out of the box. It's not.

PG's are hard coded it seems to drive to the hoop, with kick outs resulting on my defense that particular day. I'm not the biggest basketball fan lately, mainly because I haven't had cable this NBA season, but when I did I watched NBA ball a lot (because I do and still love it) and seem to recall a lot of plays DESIGNED with a mid-range jumper in mind.

Not as a result of getting brick-walled trying to drive the paint constantly.

That's not realistic. It's annoying.

Sometimes how you get to the results matter just as much as the result itself.

The only team that matches this style is the Houston Rockets. I remember seeing a stat on T.V. that the majority of the shots they are either in the paint or a 3 pointer. They are the team that has taken the least amount of mid-range jumpers, and another stat, the mid-range jumper is the lowest FG% compared to other shots. Obviously, the Rockets are just one team. I'm kind of on the fence with this, the CPU in this game isn't made to take bad shots but when they do, the cheese kicks in. Lose-lose right? :P

2_headedmonster 04-02-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 313DBoy (Post 2046089829)
I have tried all slider options and it just does not do what it suppose to do. If you turn take inside shots to 0, attack the basket to 0, take mid range to 100, take close shots to 100, they still power dribble and force pass into the paint insted of pulling up. It may make them take it sometimes, but NEVER when defended up close. This is the most common shot taken in the sport, I dont undeestand how this goes unnoticed or ignored.

I gotta disagree here, just had Brandon Jennings take four consecutive midrange jumpers on me with these tendencies 3pt: 65 mid: 85 close:35 inside: 50 attack basket:20

what you also have to realize is that the closer thing to NBA defense would be the "conservative" setting in relation to the space between the ballhandler and the defender. closer than that in the NBA and a player is attacking the basket; 2k however employs unrealistic physicality to keep defenders in position, so the CPU may interpret a pull up as a bad shot.