Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Presentation Interview with Brian Murray -- Polygon (/forums/showthread.php?t=745363)

PacMan3000 06-16-2014 10:50 AM

Presentation Interview with Brian Murray -- Polygon

I found this last night and wanted to post it today. If you're into presentation like me, you'll likely enjoy the behind-the-scenes look at all the work that's involved in making the presentation appear as it does in Madden 15:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/15/580...n-brian-murray

Gridiron 06-16-2014 10:58 AM

Re: Presentation Interview with Brian Murray -- Polygon

If any of that's true, it didn't show good in the E3 vids, man. Comparing the vids to Madden 12's cams, Madden 12's were way better to the point that it's not even close. So what was the point to hire an NFL Films guy when you already had this right 3 games before? These Tiburon cats make no sense.

On the real, you gotta ignore what EA says and watch what they do. They say a lot in that article but the product doesn't show it that good from what we can see.

PacMan3000 06-16-2014 11:19 AM

I actually disagree. The Madden 12 cams were great. Close ups of guys walking into the huddle post play and all that were great.

But the pre-play stuff in Madden 15 is much better. Close ups of the QB walking up to the line, or close ups of Kap clapping his hands to encourage his teammates. Post-play, they have camera cutting to the right guy celebrating after making a play--and it's instantaneous now that they've eliminated the cut scenes. It's flow more organically now.

Madden 12 had great cams, but it was essentially the same 15 shots recycled over and over again from perfect camera TV angles.

jpdavis82 06-16-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridiron (Post 2046320048)
If any of that's true, it didn't show good in the E3 vids, man. Comparing the vids to Madden 12's cams, Madden 12's were way better to the point that it's not even close. So what was the point to hire an NFL Films guy when you already had this right 3 games before? These Tiburon cats make no sense.

On the real, you gotta ignore what EA says and watch what they do. They say a lot in that article but the product doesn't show it that good from what we can see.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you, the replays I've seen look exactly like what I see on CBS and in Madden 12 they looked more like what you see on Fox. The cameras and replays look awesome to me so far, I'm interested to see all this jumbotron stuff and I heard that players will actually look up at them when they have a big breakaway TD. Brian Murray seems like the best thing to ever happen to Madden's Presentation but we'll see. You're simply in denial if you don't see the difference between presentation now and last year. It's night and day.

This looks just like what you see on TV

http://twitter.com/jpdavis1982/statu...716544/photo/1

jbd345 06-16-2014 11:52 AM

Can't wait for the jumbotron stuff. A little worried because the videos from e3 the jumbotron didn't look authentic at all.

Aggies7 06-16-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbd345 (Post 2046320150)
Can't wait for the jumbotron stuff. A little worried because the videos from e3 the jumbotron didn't look authentic at all.

They may not have had the team specific jumbotron videos loaded for E3 as from what they have said they are still working on it. Which I hope they are.

I have said for years their goal beyond fine tuning gameplay should be to have as many "little things" in the game. To me those "little things" outside of on field gameplay is what makes it feel real. Fans love "little things" that make them go "I saw that last Sunday, can't believe that's in the game".

Just my opinion.

Gridiron 06-16-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PacMan3000 (Post 2046320079)
But the pre-play stuff in Madden 15 is much better. Close ups of the QB walking up to the line

That was in Madden 06, 07, 10, 11 and 12 already and every once in a blue moon it happened in the newer Maddens, usually when stat cards got shown. So, not much better, just the same.

Quote:

Ior close ups of Kap clapping his hands to encourage his teammates.

The same angles were in other Maddens. Kap clapping is just a new animation, has nothing to do with angles.

Quote:

IPost-play, they have camera cutting to the right guy celebrating after making a play--and it's instantaneous now that they've eliminated the cut scenes. It's flow more organically now.

It also fails to get a proper closeup and face shot like EA claims it does in that article. Madden 12 did this right. Madden 15 is not based on the vids. You see dudes celebrating and the camera is off in the distance, and the worse ones have it shooting guys from behind when it's supposed to be shooting them from the front. That's not how it's supposed to go.

Quote:

IMadden 12 had great cams, but it was essentially the same 15 shots recycled over and over again from perfect camera TV angles.

Just like on TV. There are more shots in a real TV broadcast, but it's broken down to a science to where you can predict which shot is about to come if you've watched enough football like we all have. They only use so many.

Gridiron 06-16-2014 12:48 PM

Yo, check this out. Perfect example of the closeup problem with post-play in Madden 15. 2:16 of this vid, makes a big play, but no tight shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVd8Zz4T5U

Madden 12 gets it right. Watch at 4:36 of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAvfXEPXCzc

Notice how the M12 camera perfectly captures the defender get up and celebrate with a perfect TV angle, just like they do it on TV. I've yet to see that in Madden 15.

In the same vid @ 3:25, look at how the camera perfectly gets that close low shot of Ray Rice about to line up. That's crazy homie! We see it on TV every Sunday. Where is it in Madden 15?

Look at how the camera catches Troy P running across the field @ 4:25. TV perfect. Where is it in Madden 15? And you know what else is bananas about that? The camera system was made intelligent enough to realize that Troy had just made the tackle, so it knew to pick him up during the sequence!

C'mon, baby!