Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Timing Hitting Power Swing : are you guys seeing solid exta base hits ?? (/forums/showthread.php?t=750653)

KingsDream 07-11-2014 04:36 PM

Timing Hitting Power Swing : are you guys seeing solid exta base hits ??

Hey guys. I just started a franchise with the Reds.I play on allstar level. Im not the best hitter to begin with,but im trying. Im only getting 3,4 hits a game using X normal and O contact. I never really use power swing. Should I start to use Power on 2-0,2-1,3-1 counts with just my power hitters like Votto,Bruce ? Are you guys having any success with power swing,hard line drive gappers,homers ? How many times per game do you guys use power swing 1 - 5 ? 5 -10 ? I know power also increases pop-outs and strike outs...thanks for any help out there !!!

Heroesandvillains 07-11-2014 04:52 PM

Re: Timing Hitting Power Swing : are you guys seeing solid exta base hits ??

I use Timing hitting on Default AS too.

When I first started playing this year's game, over my first 50-60 games I was just like you. Hitting for a low average, no pop, and averaging a horrible 1 double per game.

After just going at it, I'm now 145+ games into my Franchise and am easily averaging around 2 doubles and 1.5 homers per game. It's like something clicked.

At first I was over analyzing everything. Maybe I should power swing more? Maybe I should contact swing more? Etc. But over time I just got locked in and my average began to skyrocket and my even most of my outs are getting smoked.

If I power up, it's MAYBE once per game. Same with contact. If I were you I'd drop the pitch speed and just keep on keeping on.

You'll get there with practice. Trust me. Veteran is always an option too while you get your skills down.

vinny_pizza 07-11-2014 06:30 PM

I never use power swing, always regular and when I'm looking to push a run across with a sac fly, I'll influence a fly and hit contact with two strikes. Biggest thing, be patient at the plate and when you work a hitters count, you get great contact since the pitcher is usually more over the plate when down in the count. Don't be afraid to take a strike, seeing pitches is huge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

NDAlum 07-11-2014 07:03 PM

The few times I've used Power swing absolutely nothing good came from it

Gotmadskillzson 07-11-2014 07:19 PM

I hit some homers with power swing. All depends on how the game is going for me. If I see the ball making it to the wall but always getting caught, I would use power swing their next at bat to give them a little more juice. It works for me 88% of the time.

I also like to use power swing when the defense comes in for a double play, just for I can send the ball flying over their heads.

Syce 07-12-2014 07:46 AM

ive personally have not found a difference in if i normal swing or power swing. I dont know if its because im using dynamic difficulty or what but i really see no difference.

dalger21 07-12-2014 10:52 AM

Using Power swing makes your PCI smaller so your ability to get good wood on a pitch is a lot harder. I personally stopped using timing hitting because of the random PCI but when I did use it, I would only use power swing on 3-0 counts while guessing the correct location and pitch. That way, the PCI would be exactly where the ball would and I had a better chance of putting the barrel on the ball.

KBLover 07-12-2014 11:31 AM

I'm a Timing hitter. I use Power swing in a few situations:

1) If the hitter has good bat control (contact, vision) - these guys can often deal with the penalties applied to the power swing.

2) Power hitters with lowish contact - these guys are swing-and-miss candidates anyway, so might as well swing hard in case they hit it, and with a high power rating, they don't NEED "solid" contact to get a HR on a power swing. What might be a long out could turn into an el cheapo home run that makes the first couple rows. And if they do connect full and hit a fly ball, you get to see a majestic home run - those are always fun :D

3) "Slasher" type hitters in hitters counts. I don't do this too much because, maybe it's my sliders but 2-0 and 3-0 are the WORST times for me to swing (pitcher often gets a "Perfect" pitch, which lowers hitting chances, even if said "Perfect" pitch is right down the middle - been burned enough by that in MLB13 to learn my lesson), but 2-1, 3-1, 1-0, I'll take a gamble with your 70/70 or 60/75 type hitters - not true HR threats, but they can take one deep. Might also turn a single into a double (or triple)

4) Extra innings. All bets are off, especially once hitting the 11th or beyond. Won a game with Hechavarria (50/30 hitter) of all people, power swinging a triple past McCutchen (he tried to cut it off, but the ball had too much zip on it). I'm looking for gappers, homers, or walks in extra innings so I get to wear out the square button :D

That said, I don't lean on it too much, even in the above situations. It just let's me feel like I'm playing baseball instead of just dealing with "video game balance".