Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   The Extra Point (/forums/showthread.php?t=750914)

leathrneck34 07-13-2014 05:43 PM

The Extra Point

Why did EA scrap The Extra Point recap show ? What were they thinking? Going back and watching YouTube videos of it made me wonder why they didnt expand on it.

This new team needs to dig up that show and resurrect it

roadman 07-13-2014 05:51 PM

Re: The Extra Point

It was said when they took it out they weren't happy with it and wanted to start over from scratch.

Big FN Deal 07-13-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leathrneck34 (Post 2046389055)
Why did EA scrap The Extra Point recap show ? What were they thinking? Going back and watching YouTube videos of it made me wonder why they didnt expand on it.

This new team needs to dig up that show and resurrect it

According to an interview Ian did with Grisham after leaving Tiburon, he caved to external pressures, at least partly due to the sales of M10 and went another direction for M11, which he regrets in hindsight. So The Extra Point not being fleshed out more the next year in M11 and eventually being scrapped, as Road stated, could presumably have been effected by that.

leathrneck34 07-13-2014 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadman (Post 2046389073)
It was said when they took it out they weren't happy with it and wanted to start over from scratch.

And by start over they probably meant. Never to be seen again until they bring it back in another version and call it all new.

Hopefully this team will see the potential it held and bring it back with more content in the shows.

Kaiser Wilhelm 07-13-2014 07:12 PM

I didn't like the Extra Point. The very concept threw me off. I dislike the idea of green screen actors just randomly popping into the middle of my video game. This isn't the 1990s and I'm not playing C&C (another game EA ruined).

Get somebody an do a decent animation. Keep me immersed in this animated world. You have these well animated scanned models so use them where we could actually see them.

Final point, don't record two people awkwardly trying to do an into to a fake show, just animate it with a good voice-over.

jmurphy31 07-13-2014 07:51 PM

Don't forget the halftime show and weekly show were both called the Extra Point. And they were both far from perfect, but it was an admirable first attempt.

The extra point halftime show
Positives
had your game highlights
Had scores and stats from around the league

Negatives
No audio for your highlights
No highlights from other games
Scores from other games didn't always make sense (usually the score was always the final score even if it said 2nd quarter)

Weekly show
Positives
Had info about the league

Negatives
Only had a few games highlighted
No highlights

It was a good starting spot and I watched each week in my franchise mode. Yet I have never lasted more than a week reading the fake twitter for news. And yes I'm constantly on twitter in real life

SageInfinite 07-13-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm (Post 2046389272)
I didn't like the Extra Point. The very concept threw me off. I dislike the idea of green screen actors just randomly popping into the middle of my video game. This isn't the 1990s and I'm not playing C&C (another game EA ruined).

Get somebody an do a decent animation. Keep me immersed in this animated world. You have these well animated scanned models so use them where we could actually see them.

Same way I feel about the little window they have this year during the QB intros. Should've been in game stuff instead of real life footage.

CM Hooe 07-13-2014 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SageInfinite (Post 2046389558)
Same way I feel about the little window they have this year during the QB intros. Should've been in game stuff instead of real life footage.

This is probably not going to happen given how much detail (be it triangles, texture memory, or shader operation) Tiburon likes to put in just the players and stadiums in the currently-playing game. Not until the console hardware gets at least a generation stronger, at least.

A second render target can be an expensive operation depending on what you're trying to do, and creating a new animated, lit, and shaded 3D animating scene with complex geometry dynamically (i.e. it's not just a simple GUI rendering surface with 2D HUD / presentation elements) is going to be an example of something that's computationally expensive. To simplify it, you basically have to render the graphics of Madden twice with different assets during the time the game currently spends rendering Madden once. That's going to slow the game down dramatically in its current state.

To do this effectively, Tiburon would have to be able to have several teams' uniform assets, rosters, and stadiums loaded at once (possibly home and road for the QB's team if they wanted to go the whole nine yards with this) and be able to switch between these to create new scripted football scenes dynamically at runtime without latency. They'd probably also have to significantly cut back on the detail displayed on the two teams in the actual game, be it triangles in the player models and stadiums, texture quality used on those 3D meshes, and/or complexity of their shader code. All for eight seconds apiece for each quarterback intro.

It's not impossible, but it's also not worth it. The FMV implementation is the much easier, much more practical solution in that it doesn't require any of those above changes, and it has the same 'wow' presentation effect in fooling a user into thinking he's watching a television broadcast.

---

As to the Extra Point - meh. It didn't knock my socks off when it was first introduced and I don't really miss it. If Tiburon revisits it, I agree that they shouldn't go the green-screen route for it.