Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Interesting article regarding Madden ratings (/forums/showthread.php?t=756767)

A_Quiet_Pro 08-19-2014 09:50 PM

Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ichard-sherman

In a nutshell I guess an Eagles kicker hits harder than Sherman. But still a good read.

FBall Life 08-19-2014 09:51 PM

Re: Interesting article regarding Madden ratings

The "ratings czar" needs help. The days of having one person making accurate ratings for hundreds and hundreds of players needs to end.

LBzrule 08-19-2014 09:56 PM

LOL unbelievable on Spear. I watched this guy at Vanderbilt for the last four years in person. He's not afraid to hit you but Donny Moore

Yuss 08-19-2014 10:04 PM

does anyone else find it strange he is basing ratings off of youtube videos? EA can't hire a former scout or evaluator to help with ratings of rookies entering the NFL?

fancyclaps 08-19-2014 10:09 PM

Honestly, that kicker deserves it based off of that hit. Wow.

A_Quiet_Pro 08-19-2014 10:21 PM

I just find it funny that they're telling us, one of the most recognizable and prolific sports games in the world, and the guy they got doing the ratings gets his info for them FROM YOUTUBE!!!!!!?????? Damn, I can do that all day! SMDH!

canes21 08-19-2014 10:24 PM

I think Donny needs help. I do. The job is just too tough for one person to do no matter how skilled they are. The guy just seems to be in a tough spot. It might be the suits, but he sometimes comes off as pleasing the players first and foremost.

When I look at Madden's ratings over the years, I see jacked up ratings. It's like Moore rates everyone off of their highlight reels, not their actual skill set day in and day out.

If the there was a team of scouts or something that could get more accurate ratings in, I'd imagine the ratings could benefit easily. I also think we need to go back to having spread out ratings. Let's get away from every team having 5+ 90+ players and make the whole league have the highest player be a 92 in an AP or Manning/Brady. 99 should represent the GOAT. 90 should represent potential HoF'er. 80's should represent starter/potential pro bowler. 70's still a starter for most teams. 60, starter here and there, just very average. 50's maybe has one good area, below average everywhere else. And so on.

jyoung 08-19-2014 10:24 PM

Carey Spear definitely had a reputation for being a fearless tackler at Vanderbilt, but you have to keep in mind that on his kickoffs, he had the advantage of running full speed at a ball carrier who is also running full speed. Those kind of head-on collisions are naturally going to be more impactful than any hit that would happen during a normal snap from under center.

That said, Spear had a nice highlight reel of hits over the years:

Spoiler

Still, there's no way he should have more hitting power than many defensive linemen and a physical pressing cornerback like Sherman.