Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Your First, and/or Greatest Madden Memory... (/forums/showthread.php?t=756910)

ShavarHayes 08-20-2014 11:28 PM

Your First, and/or Greatest Madden Memory...

First: 1991...I was eight years old. My cousin had Madden '92 (damn, I'm getting old), on Sega Genesis. I was still high as a kite on Tecmo Super Bowl (NES). The verical camera, the passing windows--super advanced. I fell in love, and created a lifelong marriage.

Greatest: When my best friend and I rented a Playstation 2 from Blockbuster Video, just for Madden '01. We literally played all weekend with like 3hrs of sleep. The graphics were amazing, and the competition had never been better. I think my obsession reached another level that summer. It's about that time again fellas! What's your first/greatest memory?

BreakingBad2013 08-20-2014 11:50 PM

Re: Your First, and/or Greatest Madden Memory...

First: pS2 Madden, we would just play head to head play now, never did franchise.

Greatest: hard to say, I'd say my hook was xb360 I played Madden 07 for a weekend straight, no sleep. First time I had online.

Close second would be Madden/2k5 they were awesome Franchise mode.

fballturkey 08-20-2014 11:53 PM

First: When I was a little kid I played a TON of Tecmo against my dad, and it just blew my MIND going from that to the first time I played Madden 98 at my cousins house. Games weren't advertised like they are now and I was still fairly young (10), so I was pretty much in the dark that something more advanced than Super Tecmo existed. It was just a huge leap. But not as huge as

Favorite: It's hard to believe looking back, but one year, we went from this:

To this:

Like, literally one day you're playing that first game, then you go get a brand new PS2 or Xbox, and holy crap you're playing that second game. A couple of my friends came over because I was the first one of us to get a (at the time) next gen system, and we literally just watched the CPU play a couple games in awe. You could see their fingers! The player models weren't obviously polygons! It was crazy and we may never see another leap like that one unless Virtual Reality works out way better than expected.

Raveneff 08-20-2014 11:57 PM

First was on 97 on PS1. Creating a character and for the life of me not figuring out how to sub in.

Greatest would be in the superbowl on madden 05 against a friend (6-8 of us made a franchise and met at my house) he was packers I was ravens and I intercepted a pass from Favre with Kelly Gregg amd returned it for 48 yards for a TD.

Mbalmer 08-21-2014 12:06 AM

I camped at a Target in Ankeny, Iowa overnight with my girlfriend (Now wife) for a PS2 on release day. Got back to our apartment in Ames and I popped in Madden...was floored by how good it look. That would be my best Madden moment.

TecmoZack 08-21-2014 12:26 AM

Madden 93. My cousin brought his Sega and that game over for Thanksgiving. We played for hours. I used 2 plays...lol. HB sweep with Emmit Smith on offense and Jam Middle on defense.

Then for Christmas I got a Sega of my own with a copy of Madden 94. Boom!!!

Good thread by the way. Nice to see something positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheba2011 08-21-2014 08:35 AM

Don't remember my first Madden moment to be honest, I was more into the NFL series featuring Joe Montana and the QB club games.

My greatest Memory was Madden 05 and it's deep franchise mode which I put hundreds of hours into. Everything from the Tony Bruno show to the hometown newspapers to the deep create a team made that game so much fun.

Gorilla Glass 08-21-2014 08:42 AM

I have too many great memories to recall, but my most exciting moment was my first Online match on the PS2.

I sweat a lot in anticipation of the unknown lol

icicle22 08-21-2014 08:46 AM

Madden 93 seemed to be the high point for the series back in the day. 4 of us formed a league and put money in a fund and played an entire 16 game season. We won the money back for certain things like winning the super bowl, most yard rushing, passing etc. We even kept track of all these stats in an old fashioned paper ledger book. We created a "media guide" called the GFL (genesis football league) which tracked our historic stats and such. Great times.

The game has obviously gotten better but sometimes it's the experiences that you remember more than the technical aspects. Shortly after that we all got married and got jobs and while I enjoy gaming still....it's not the same.

You young ones enjoy it while you can!!!

Mav3rek7 08-21-2014 08:53 AM

First: Madden '93 maybe, or somewhere around there. Loved Madden from the first time I played it, and loved watching the ambulance come screeching onto the field knocking everyone out of it's way.

Greatest: I really liked it when the franchise had the pre-season training camps where you could take a player and work on a particular skill. I would always wait until the 7th round of the draft, and take the fastest receiver left. Usually they had a 97 speed, but their catching rating was God awful. First thing I would do is switch them to a DB, and then take them to the training camp and work on their hands year after year. Then I would play as the DB on defense and dominate. Save the highlights to my PS2 memory card and relive them from time to time. That was the most fun I ever had with Madden.

TexasFan2005 08-21-2014 08:56 AM

First Madden memory: Madden 64

My parents took me to Target to get Quarterback Club 98 because I had been spending too much time at my neighbor's house playing the crap out of it. QB Club had just come out during those recent weeks and they were sold out of it, and the attendant said "well, we have this other game called Madden, but it doesn't have the real teams or players." Being as impatient that I was, and the fact that Madden was the only available football game in town (lol), I decided I needed my football gaming fix immediately, so I went with Madden instead of waiting a few days.

My "best" memory of Madden was after getting so hyped with Madden 06 on 360, playing it for few months, and ultimately being disappointed with the leap to those consoles, I went back to Madden 06 on ps2 and felt a relief to how great those versions were: responsive controls, tony bruno, etc

Mauer4MVP 08-21-2014 09:07 AM

My best memory is going over to my cousins and doing a rebuild with an awful fantasy draft. So many hours into building a team. Lol whenever we got the team built up to a consistent winner we got bored and started over.

I know that isn't a single memory or a single instance, but that is what I think of when I think of Madden.

Anaxamander 08-21-2014 10:18 AM

Madden 2003 was the first I actually owned and got into hardcore.

I had a franchise with the Jaguars that I'll always remember. In the second season, it seemed like every game went down to the wire and was decided by a crazy play by Mark Brunell or Fred Taylor.

In week 15, my Jags were tied with Indy and Tennessee, all at 9-5. I lost a heartbreaker head to head with the Colts, and then saw that the Titans won, so I pretty much knew I was out of the playoffs.

Next week, I won against the Texans, so I had a glimmer of hope, and lo and behold, the Titans lost to the Giants and the Colts lost to the Chargers, which put us all three at 10-6. I was thrilled! I had split wins with both the Colts and Titans, so I wasn't exactly sure how the tie-breaker worked, but I thought I would probably make it.

I was wrong. Colts and Titans both got in at 10-6, and I was out in the cold. I was a little salty for a while, but I got over it. I think that's when I fell in love with franchise mode.

ThatMichiganFan 08-21-2014 04:31 PM

First Madden: I got a PS2 and Madden 05 for Christmas and as a kid I thought it was the greatest game of all time.

Greatest Moment: I made a WR superstar in Madden 09 (I miss that mode soo much) and did well enough to made the Hall of Fame after 2 seasons

thinkjoey 08-21-2014 05:23 PM

i must have been 8-10 so 98 - 2000

i had my nintendo 64 and it was christmas...the only thing I got was Madden and I played that as much as I could

I did not complain...Madden was all I needed.

Choc1ateTHUND3R 08-21-2014 05:28 PM

First: Madden 01 on PS2. I was 5 and I begged my older brothers to let me play, after hours of begging they thought me but the only play I ran was 28 sweep with Warrick Dunn.

Best: After years of losing to my brothers, Madden 09 came out and I was able to not only beat them but also humiliate them while I celebrate in the endzone.

raiderphantom 08-21-2014 07:34 PM

I think my biggest victory was Madden 05 against my cousin. It was like 83 to 12 or something lol. I felt really bad but he just kept throwing picks. He was usually better than me but I got pretty good at 05 and a lot of people seemed to struggle.

I've also had some epic CPU games. I can't remember which version anymore but I played Tampa in a SB back on PS2 and it was a really grind it out game and they had scored only 4 FG's and I only had 1 TD. With one play left sonewhere around their 20 yd line, I hit Jerry Porter in the endzone!!..but he didn't get both feet in lol. Considering I didn't mess with sliders back then it was big to get a really competitive game.

falconfansince81 08-21-2014 07:56 PM

Winning online franchise Superbowls are always memorable, but I distinctly remember my first nostalgic memory back on Madden '96 when create-a-player was introduced.

My Falcons were down 30-28 to Chargers under 2 minutes to go in the Superbowl; on a 3rd down pass I user picked it with my safety and took it down to their 20 to set up the game winning FG.

Fun times...remember it like it was yesterday...couldn't tell you what I had for breakfast this morning, but I remember those games always.

T5063 08-21-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxamander (Post 2046500401)
Madden 2003 was the first I actually owned and got into hardcore.

Same here. Ive been playing Madden since 96 but 2003 was the first one where i did multiple seasons. Played as the Panthers, drafted a guy named Lake Stone as my qb and had tonnes of memorable games in the playoffs. I remember having a heated rivalry with the Bucs and Rams. I've been trying to recreate the nostalgia from this game ever since.

The soundtrack from this game was also pretty awesome and i still have some of the songs stuck in my head.

hlhbk 08-21-2014 08:16 PM

First: Playing Madden 95 on SNES with my brother.

Favorite: Every time I beat someone online using the Raiders when they are playing with Denver/SF/Seattle/NO/NE or whoever is the bandwagon pick of that year over the last 12 years. The Raiders have been horrible for a long time but most of the ranked random players don't know how to use their "favorite" teams.

Segagendude 08-21-2014 08:21 PM

First: A shipmate brought his Sega Genesis onboard our ship and it was my first ever look at Madden. Circa 1992, I think (The game that introduced the passing windows)

Greatest: Getting PS1 for the first time and Madden of my own. (Again,

I forget the exact year...)

Unlucky 13 08-21-2014 09:05 PM

First was 1990 or 91. One of my friends in Jr High had gotten Madden on the NES. Up until that point, I was all about Techmo Bowl and Play Action Football. Madden was a whole different game. No real teams or players, but it was really fun. We stayed up all night all weekend playing, and I eventually got it myself.

Greatest, as others said, was the step up from the PS1 to the PS2. It was jaw dropping. I bought Madden with my PS2, and even though I'd seen clips online, I was still shocked at how awesome. That era in my life, when I was about 23-25, single and no kids, was also when I played the most Madden ever. I played 200+ games every year, going though 10 or so seasons. I even played against other people back then, as I had a few friends who were into it as well. Since then, I'm all single player offline franchise.

Worst would be when I moved from the PS2 to the PS3 expecting the same jaw dropping wonderful experience. *SIGH*....no

Lets see what the PS4 brings me next week.

Anaxamander 08-21-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T5063 (Post 2046502485)
Same here. Ive been playing Madden since 96 but 2003 was the first one where i did multiple seasons. Played as the Panthers, drafted a guy named Lake Stone as my qb and had tonnes of memorable games in the playoffs. I remember having a heated rivalry with the Bucs and Rams. I've been trying to recreate the nostalgia from this game ever since.

The soundtrack from this game was also pretty awesome and i still have some of the songs stuck in my head.

Lake Stone, huh? I'm guessing he had hippy parents.

Yeah, there was something special about that game. I really need to pop it in the old PS2 and give it another spin.

Gronk4M13 08-22-2014 07:34 AM

First Madden memory: getting Madden 12 for Christmas that year, and becoming instantly obsessed with it. I used to play Madden when I was a lot younger, but fell out of favor with it (no specific reason why.) I got Madden 12, loved it, and haven't looked back since. I'm so pumped for Madden 15.

Favorite? That's a tough one. I've had a lot of fun CFM/franchise/CCM saves. I remember Maden 13/25 the best.

Madden 13 CCM with the Bills: the Bills were really mediocre in that game (sadly, still are.) I did a CCM with them, as they are a rebuilding project in M13 and I'm also a NY-NJ resident so they're kind of the local team. (one of them.) I knew Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't the answer at QB, nor was any other QB on the team at the time. I think I simmed the first season to get to the draft. I had a pick in the top ten. I traded several draft picks for the #1 pick and took the best quarterback in the draft, I don't remember his name. In the regular season, he was great. I believe he won AFC Offensive Rookie of the Year. The QB, and some minor FA additions, guided us to a wildcard berth. This QB wound up being like Andy Dalton. He just crumbled in the playoffs. We lost that playoff game. I thought, Ok. I went through the offseason, played the next season, and we went 11-5 or something like that (first round bye.) The QB seemed to progress. Yet, even with a first round bye, he crumbled in the playoffs. The next year, we won a divisional playoff game, but the QB crumble din the AFC title game. It was awesome, seeing his confidence differ between the regular and postseason.

I've also won a few Superbowls with my Ravens and the Redskins, which is awesome. In Madden 25, I had a Raiders CFM in which I would draft Johnny Manziel and he guided us to the AFC Title game.

Skyboxer 08-22-2014 08:10 AM

Madden Apple IIe
God I loved that game.
Many many hours with family playing season after season

Reed1417 08-22-2014 08:53 AM

First-The first Christmas I can remember I got a SNES (my parents got that instead of the N64) Madden 95 man. That was my first game and I've loved sports since that day.
Greatest-When I finally beat my friend Nick in a game of Madden. Me and him always had a friendly rivalry when it came to Madden. He would ALWAYS beat me I swear and some days he would just blow me out, other days we had close games. Finally one day I beat him when I was over his house just hanging out...I believe I was about 12. Sadly I forget which Madden it was but the point is I finally got my win damnit!! Hahaha!

Reed is comin' atcha!!

BleedGreen710 08-22-2014 09:46 AM

My greatest madden memory has to be a 31 point 2nd half comeback I pulled off in a playoff game of a long running franchise I had with a team I created. Their QB was injured early and lowly backup QB Dave Ragone comes in and somehow lights it up. Their offense could not be stopped and I couldn't get anything going.

It all changed in the 3rd quarter when a few plays started going my way and I brought life into the stadium, and more importantly, hope. The final minutes I will never forget, I was so nervous, excited, and just so immersed in the action.. like it was my favorite team playing in real life. I've never quite been able to replicate that feeling on a Madden game, but hopefully someday I can.

Here is the entire 2nd half on video, its about 15 minutes long. Definitely worth the watch.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vki8HFGEWzI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I still get chills watching this.

Lisac 08-22-2014 12:18 PM

Has to be when the ambulance comes onto the field and they have to put the guy on the stretcher! Simply classic!

Haze88 08-22-2014 12:26 PM

First memory: Playing Madden 98 on my computer as a three year old. I never figured out extra points so I would punt through the uprights every PAT

Greatest: Madden 2001 finally beating my older cousin who dominated me in Madden for about two years and the various team rivalries we've had over the years between Rams/Ravens, Rams/Vikings, Eagles/Falcons and Eagles/Saints

Yeah...THAT Guy 08-22-2014 12:54 PM

My two favorite moments:

Madden 2001 I think (right around then anyways). I was controlling the Bucs and had a pretty solid team, but my starting QB went down with an injury after a 1-4 start. My backup and 3rd stringer both went down the following game as I fell to 1-5. So I was forced to play my 7th round draft pick, who was somewhere in the 50s or low 60s overall wise (and a rare lefty). He ended up leading my team on a huge run and we snuck into the playoffs. We made it to the NFC championship game before my starter finally came back from injury, but I stuck with my 7th round guy and ended up winning the Super Bowl. A couple years later, he had gone from his low rating to the upper 90s and was a perennial MVP candidate. That was my first and probably one of my favorite madden memories.

#2 would be a couple years ago when I moved Cleveland to Boston and created the Boston Browns. Led by Vonnie Mendenhall at HB and Michael Bolt at QB, Boston became a dynasty. Finally, when Mendenhall and Bolt were in what I expected to be their last years, we made it back to the Super Bowl and found ourselves losing by 4 with 1:30 remaining. We marched down to the 5 yard line and I called my final timeout with just a couple seconds left. On the final play, I ended up rolling out to my left and was able to run it in with Michael Bolt to win the Super Bowl. Mendenhall and Bolt ended up going out on top and both were inducted to the Hall of Fame. That was the last time I really was invested in a madden game. Haven't been able to immerse myself that way the last couple years.

Unlucky 13 08-22-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haze88 (Post 2046504489)
First memory: Playing Madden 98 on my computer as a three year old. I never figured out extra points so I would punt through the uprights every PAT

Greatest: Madden 2001 finally beating my older cousin who dominated me in Madden for about two years and the various team rivalries we've had over the years between Rams/Ravens, Rams/Vikings, Eagles/Falcons and Eagles/Saints

Some of you guys make me feel really old, lol. Fall of 98 was my 4th year of college.

BadAssHskr 08-22-2014 01:11 PM

This will sound crazy...

Madden 15 is my first and greatest memory. true i've played it in the past, for years and years and years, but once NCAA came around i was always NCAA first, deep into my dynasty to busy doing my own thing.

Sure i've bought madden every year just to have it, but rarely did i play.

This year, with anticipation, i followed the madden forums, paid attention to madden, and as i fired up EA Access last night i had that NCAA release day excitement, it was a new game, it was fun, i was eager to dive in, and i enjoyed it as i never have in the past.

That being said, friends and i have spent some very memorable hours playing each other in prior versions, but this year i'm making the game my own, my own franchise, my own team, and i truly am beside myself to play this game.

A ONE MAN R ME 08-22-2014 01:40 PM

Madden 2002, N64.

12 year old me had been dominated by my older cousin for years of playing Madden. I believe I was down by 3 with 1 second left. I'm on defense. He completes a big pass play and is taunting his way into the end zone with 0 time left on the clock(He was always a cocky SOB). I tackle him from behind and he fumbles. I recover the ball and return it 100 yards to win the game. I have completely dominated him in Madden since that point. I believe I ripped out a small piece of his soul in that moment.

Haze88 08-22-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatMichiganFan (Post 2046501794)
First Madden: I got a PS2 and Madden 05 for Christmas and as a kid I thought it was the greatest game of all time.

Greatest Moment: I made a WR superstar in Madden 09 (I miss that mode soo much) and did well enough to made the Hall of Fame after 2 seasons

This needs to come back with the house, agent and everything. I used to love the progression from bum in an apartment to superstar in a mansion wth crazy endorsements

Indyboy180 08-23-2014 12:27 AM

My greatest had to be in my Madden 09 Jets Franchise where I won Super Bowl XLIX on the final play. A beautiful running back draw that I took to the house as time expired to beat the Arizona Cardinals in ARIZONA!

D.S.T.X.B. 08-23-2014 01:42 AM

First: I spent the entire summer playing my cousin in Madden 95 on the Sega Genesis. He always played with the 49ers and he always ran a sweep left with Ricky Waters. Well one timed he called that play again and I was ready. As he comes around I take control of my linebacker and I dive. He timed the most perfect hurdle! and I flew into the sidelines! Lol I'll never forget that.

Greatest: I was in a Madden tournament in college. Madden 05. 8 min quarters. I was decent to pretty good and my opponent was pretty good to beast. I was the Vikings and he was the Jets. It was a dogfight the whole game up until like 2 minutes in the fourth. It was 10-7, him. All of a sudden I can't stop Curtis Martin anymore and he drives down the field killing time and my timeouts. I make 1 of 2 plays of the game and stop him on 3rd down and my last time out, but he was in fg range. 7 seconds left..he makes the fg. So its 13-7 with 4 seconds left. Now, I don't remember if Randy Moss was already there or I put him there, but he was on KR. And prior to this kickoff he had be kicking away from him the entire game. I say to him if you kick it to Moss ima win the game. He kicks it to Moss and I run 109 yards untouched! Game over. Dorm room went crazy! LOL I've never had a better game since!

TheVinylHippo 08-23-2014 02:20 AM

My first memory was this. Madden '99 on PS1. I used to think that "Cyber Athlete" intro was the coolest thing ever when I was an eight-year-old kid. I hated putting it down to get dressed for school, and I'd even think about playing it on my way there.

Good times.

Greatest memory was probably beating my uncle in Madden '02 for the first time. With the Rams or the Buccaneers, I think. Marshall Faulk was my favorite player in the NFL back then. Probably because there wasn't anyone worth caring about playing for the Dallas Cowboys.

Gronk4M13 08-23-2014 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadAssHskr (Post 2046504684)
This will sound crazy...

Madden 15 is my first and greatest memory. true i've played it in the past, for years and years and years, but once NCAA came around i was always NCAA first, deep into my dynasty to busy doing my own thing.

Sure i've bought madden every year just to have it, but rarely did i play.

This year, with anticipation, i followed the madden forums, paid attention to madden, and as i fired up EA Access last night i had that NCAA release day excitement, it was a new game, it was fun, i was eager to dive in, and i enjoyed it as i never have in the past.

That being said, friends and i have spent some very memorable hours playing each other in prior versions, but this year i'm making the game my own, my own franchise, my own team, and i truly am beside myself to play this game.

It doesn't sound crazy to me. I never got Madden 25 for PS4 so next gen Madden will be a whole new experience for me. I didn't get EA Access so my anticipation is at an all time high. I have a good feeling about this game.

JMD 08-23-2014 08:58 AM

My first Madden memory is with Madden 06 for the 360. Although I had madden 05 on the xbox, I was a 2k football guy to the core before the exclusive deal. Saying that I was very disappointed with what I was given with Madden 06.

Greatest moment would have to be Madden 25 on the PS4. I've bought every madden game since 06 and 25 was the first game that I felt the game played good enough to keep me interested for the entire year. I payed multiple seasons offline and for the first time ever I joined an online league and played a few seasons. The game is improving slowly but surely.

Hender3 08-23-2014 10:44 AM

My first Madden was '06 for the PS2. I was in elementary school. I first played at a friends house and then I HAD TO GET IT. I played that game so much. I remember playing with my Colts and just tearing up defense with Manning, Wayne, and Harrison.