Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=495)
-   -   Penalty Explanation Theory (/forums/showthread.php?t=759873)

tdogg097 09-04-2014 12:48 AM

Penalty Explanation Theory

As the title states this is simply a theory and it's nothing revolutionary as people have had similar threads in past versions of madden. I have done a lot of testing and I have come to the conclusion that penalties don't necessarily effect player attributes like sliders but instead how players approach plays. If you remember past versions of NCAA you could increase aggressiveness at the risk of penalties, i.e. "Hold Block" would result in bigger running lanes with the risk of more holding/clipping calls. Changing penalty sliders seems to have the same effect without the risk of penalties. With that said here are my observations of penalty sliders.

Offside: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the defensive line. At 0, d-lineman are more conservative and generate less pass rush.

False Start: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the offensive line. At 100, o-lineman fire off the line quicker to their blocks.

Holding: Similar to the "Hold Block" feature in NCAA. At 100, o-lineman will hold their blocks longer. This seems to be more profound in the passing game.

Facemask: Sadly, this is the only slider that actually works for CPU and Hum. However, this slider also impacts players tackle aggression. At 100, you will definitely see a ton of facemask penalties but also a lot of big hits.

Defensive PI: Increases/decreases DB aggression. At 100, pass coverage is more high risk/high reward.

Offensive PI: Increases/decreases WR aggression. At 100, wr's will lay out for the ball more with the added risk of not being as technically precise. I.e. not getting both feet down in bounds.

KR/PR Int: Increases/decreases special teams aggressiveness. Lower the slider and you will see increases returning.

Clipping: Similar to holding with one noticeable difference. Holding seems to impact pass blocking and clipping seems to have a greater impact on run blocking.

Intentional Grounding: Impacts the qb's release. Increase slider and qb will hold on to the ball longer.

Roughing the Passer: Impacts the pursuit of the qb. At 100, the defense with have greater pursuit to the qb.

Roughing the Kicker: This slider is really unique as it impacts the defenses pursuit. At 0, you will see almost all solo tackles and at 100 you will see a team pursuit effort. At 100, 90% of the time there will 2-3 guys around the ball carrier.

Using this info I've been able to achieve solid gameplay with nearly default All-Madden sliders. The only sliders I have touched besides penalties are QBA (5), Kickoff Power (55), Speed Threshold (0), and fatigue (60).

Here are the penalties I'm currently using.
Offsides: 5
False Start: 95
Holding: 95
Facemask: 65 (-30)
DPI: 95
OPI: 5
KR Int: 5
Clipping: 5
Int Grounding: 0 (-5)
RTP: 5
RTK: 5

With these settings I'm seeing a lot of stuff you see on Sunday. A lot of 2-3yd running plays with an occasional big run. Variety in the passing game with elite pass d's shutting down sub-par passing games and vice versa.

zizoux 09-04-2014 09:07 AM

Re: Penalty Explanation Theory

thank you. Will definitely try these.
as you said user and cpu sliders give attribute boosts and that minimizes the differences between players

iameich 09-04-2014 05:44 PM

I just tried these along with Charter's AM sliders & face mask penalty has been called a totaled of 5 times in 5 mins (15min qt)!!! 3 were called on me while on defense, 2 were called on the CPUs defense smh!!!

tdogg097 09-04-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iameich (Post 2046550147)
I just tried these along with Charter's AM sliders & face mask penalty has been called a totaled of 5 times in 5 mins (15min qt)!!! 3 were called on me while on defense, 2 were called on the CPUs defense smh!!!

I'm still working on the sweet spot for that slider. It's the only penalty that is called with consistency and it also impacts tackler aggression. I tried it at 5 just to see the impact and guys were breaking a lot of tackles. Keep in mind this penalty takes the place of all defensive penalties, PI, horse collar, roughing the passer, illegal hits to the head, etc. You either live with facemask as the only penalty or have virtually no penalties called. But I'm still trying to find the right dial so you get realistic stats, at 95 I'm consistently in double digits which is not realistic. I'm going to try 75.

tdogg097 09-05-2014 01:46 AM

Stats from game with facemask at 75. Still too many penalties. Going to bump down to 65. Overall, this was a great game.

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /><link href="http://dynasties.operationsports.com/css/osdyn.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></head><body><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" class="osdyn" width="575"><tr class="masthead"><td align="center" colspan="6">Indianapolis Colts at Denver Broncos</td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="48%">Jan 1, </td><td align="right" width="10%">1ST</td><td align="right" width="10%">2ND</td><td align="right" width="10%">3RD</td><td align="right" width="10%">4TH</td><td align="right" width="12%">SCORE</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Indianapolis Colts (CPU)</td><td align="right">0</td><td align="right">28</td><td align="right">0</td><td align="right">7</td><td align="right" class="active">35</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Denver Broncos (HUM)</td><td align="right">7</td><td align="right">7</td><td align="right">7</td><td align="right">17</td><td align="right" class="active">38</td></tr></table><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" class="osdyn spacer" width="575"><tr class="masthead"><td colspan="3">Team Stats Comparison</td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="60%"></td><td align="center" width="20%">IND</td><td align="center" width="20%">DEN</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td align="center">Total Offense</td><td align="center">344</td><td align="center">431</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td align="center">Rushing Yards</td><td align="center">115</td><td align="center">106</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td align="center">Passing Yards</td><td align="center">229</td><td align="center">325</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td align="center">First Downs</td><td align="center">25</td><td align="center">26</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td align="center">Punt Return Yards</td><td align="center">14</td><td align="center">1</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td align="center">Kick Return Yards</td><td align="center">0</td><td align="center">125</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td align="center">Total Yards</td><td align="center">358</td><td align="center">557</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td align="center">Turnovers</td><td align="center">2</td><td align="center">3</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td align="center">3rd Down Converstion</td><td align="center">7-14</td><td align="center">5-8</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td align="center">4th Down Conversion</td><td align="center">1-2</td><td align="center">0-0</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td align="center">2-Point Conversion</td><td align="center">0-0</td><td align="center">0-0</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td align="center">Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals</td><td align="center">5-4-0</td><td align="center">6-5-1</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td align="center">Penalties</td><td align="center">9-99</td><td align="center">14-156</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td align="center">Posession Time</td><td align="center">32:55</td><td align="center">27:05</td></tr></table><table cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" class="spacer" style="margin:0 auto;" width="575"><tr><td align="center" valign="top" width="50%"><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" class="osdyn spacer" width="100%"><tr class="masthead_alt"><td bgcolor="#163F83" colspan="5"><span style="color:#FFFFFF;">Indianapolis Colts</span></td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="36%">PASSING</td><td align="right" width="16%">C/A</td><td align="right" width="16%">YDS</td><td align="right" width="16%">TD</td><td align="right" width="16%">INT</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Team</td><td align="right">29/42</td><td align="right">325</td><td align="right">2</td><td align="right">2</td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="36%">RUSHING</td><td align="right" width="16%">ATT</td><td align="right" width="16%">YDS</td><td align="right" width="16%">AVG</td><td align="right" width="16%">TD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Team</td><td align="right">27</td><td align="right">106</td><td align="right">3.9</td><td align="right">3</td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="36%">DEFENSE</td><td align="right" width="16%">TACK</td><td align="right" width="16%">SACK</td><td align="right" width="16%">INT</td><td align="right" width="16%">TD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Team</td><td align="right">63-6</td><td align="right">6</td><td align="right">2</td><td align="right">0</td></tr></table></td><td align="center" valign="top" width="50%"><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" class="osdyn spacer" width="100%"><tr class="masthead_alt"><td bgcolor="#0D254C" colspan="5"><span style="color:#FFFFFF;">Denver Broncos</span></td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="36%">PASSING</td><td align="right" width="16%">C/A</td><td align="right" width="16%">YDS</td><td align="right" width="16%">TD</td><td align="right" width="16%">INT</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Team</td><td align="right">28/37</td><td align="right">267</td><td align="right">2</td><td align="right">2</td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="36%">RUSHING</td><td align="right" width="16%">ATT</td><td align="right" width="16%">YDS</td><td align="right" width="16%">AVG</td><td align="right" width="16%">TD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Team</td><td align="right">36</td><td align="right">115</td><td align="right">3.2</td><td align="right">3</td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="36%">DEFENSE</td><td align="right" width="16%">TACK</td><td align="right" width="16%">SACK</td><td align="right" width="16%">INT</td><td align="right" width="16%">TD</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>Team</td><td align="right">55-0</td><td align="right">0</td><td align="right">2</td><td align="right">0</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></body></html>

chino22 09-05-2014 02:10 AM

Based on the theory, you should be seeing a large reduction in the amount of sacks the CPU has been giving up. Have you noticed that? In your stats above, did that mean that you as Denver did not sack Luck once?

tdogg097 09-05-2014 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chino22 (Post 2046551590)
Based on the theory, you should be seeing a large reduction in the amount of sacks the CPU has been giving up. Have you noticed that? In your stats above, did that mean that you as Denver did not sack Luck once?

Those stats are swapped. I had 6 sacks but I have seen a lot of variety with sacks. From 0, to the 6 that I had in this game. My DT had 3 sacks early and then the AI shored up the pass pro.

Last Gunfighter 09-06-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogg097 (Post 2046547690)
As the title states this is simply a theory and it's nothing revolutionary as people have had similar threads in past versions of madden. I have done a lot of testing and I have come to the conclusion that penalties don't necessarily effect player attributes like sliders but instead how players approach plays. If you remember past versions of NCAA you could increase aggressiveness at the risk of penalties, i.e. "Hold Block" would result in bigger running lanes with the risk of more holding/clipping calls. Changing penalty sliders seems to have the same effect without the risk of penalties. With that said here are my observations of penalty sliders.

Offside: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the defensive line. At 0, d-lineman are more conservative and generate less pass rush.

False Start: Increases/decreases the aggressiveness of the offensive line. At 100, o-lineman fire off the line quicker to their blocks.

Holding: Similar to the "Hold Block" feature in NCAA. At 100, o-lineman will hold their blocks longer. This seems to be more profound in the passing game.

Facemask: Sadly, this is the only slider that actually works for CPU and Hum. However, this slider also impacts players tackle aggression. At 100, you will definitely see a ton of facemask penalties but also a lot of big hits.

Defensive PI: Increases/decreases DB aggression. At 100, pass coverage is more high risk/high reward.

Offensive PI: Increases/decreases WR aggression. At 100, wr's will lay out for the ball more with the added risk of not being as technically precise. I.e. not getting both feet down in bounds.

KR/PR Int: Increases/decreases special teams aggressiveness. Lower the slider and you will see increases returning.

Clipping: Similar to holding with one noticeable difference. Holding seems to impact pass blocking and clipping seems to have a greater impact on run blocking.

Intentional Grounding: Impacts the qb's release. Increase slider and qb will hold on to the ball longer.

Roughing the Passer: Impacts the pursuit of the qb. At 100, the defense with have greater pursuit to the qb.

Roughing the Kicker: This slider is really unique as it impacts the defenses pursuit. At 0, you will see almost all solo tackles and at 100 you will see a team pursuit effort. At 100, 90% of the time there will 2-3 guys around the ball carrier.

Using this info I've been able to achieve solid gameplay with nearly default All-Madden sliders. The only sliders I have touched besides penalties are QBA (5), Kickoff Power (55), Speed Threshold (0), and fatigue (60).

Here are the penalties I'm currently using.
Offsides: 5
False Start: 95
Holding: 95
Facemask: 95 (Still testing because this generates a lot of penalties)
DPI: 95
OPI: 5
KR Int: 5
Clipping: 5
Int Grounding: 5
RTP: 5
RTK: 5

With these settings I'm seeing a lot of stuff you see on Sunday. A lot of 2-3yd running plays with an occasional big run. Variety in the passing game with elite pass d's shutting down sub-par passing games and vice versa.

I tried these just as they are except with face mask at 75. After 3 quarters I turned it off, 18 face mask calls....:jpshakehe