Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports NHL (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   NHL 15 Available Now for PS4 and Xbox One - Post Your Impressions Here (/forums/showthread.php?t=761335)

Qb 09-09-2014 10:52 AM

NHL 15 Available Now for PS4 and Xbox One - Post Your Impressions Here

Have NHL 15
? Want to know what others think of the game before you give it a buy? This is the place for you.

Once you've played the game, post your impressions here. If you have questions about the game, please post them in the Q&A thread. This thread is for impressions only.

What do you think of NHL 15 so far?

Drakar 09-09-2014 11:03 AM

Re: NHL 15 Available Now for PS4 and Xbox One - Post Your Impressions Here

It's EA NHL game alright. The same issue that has been plaguing the series for years is still around : Puck possession, No tool to play defense and poor goalie AI. It even worse this year thanks to lightning speed pass and shooting. I am hoping someone will come up with some good sliders to counter the default settings.

jes5ant 09-09-2014 11:42 AM

Gameplay wise, I loved it. I found the poke check much more effective than in the past. The immersion was amazing. I really felt the bone-crushing hits. This could be due to me playing on Dynamic high and wearing my headphones for the first time.

I found some teams harder to play against. Detroit drove me nuts. I couldn't hit them to save my life. They were very shifty. This could be due to it being my last game before passing out. I don't play well when tired.

* The sim in BAGM is still dreadfully slow.
* Daniel Winnick was not on the team and my team was full so I had to drop a player to waivers. The player not being there wasn't my issue though. It was the fact that I got no notification as to wether or not the player I dropped got claimed.
* I'm into mid November and none of my players have any growth in the progress report. I'm hoping this it due to it still being early.

jes5ant 09-09-2014 11:45 AM

Also done are the days of picking a fight with a non-fighter and mopping the floor with your opponent. I got in a fight with both Ashton and Kessel, (not on purpose) and the fights ended within 3 second both times. Both in devastating fashion.

Sparty10 09-09-2014 11:49 AM

What is the secret to playing good defense? This is my first NHL game since 2007 or so. I've been playing on pro 8 min qtrs. losing games 10-2/3 pretty consistently with the Redwings. Also, in 4 games I've yet to be on the power play with penalties all the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drakar 09-09-2014 11:54 AM

here's a video that expose how weak the AI can be. This was on All-Stars hardcore mode.

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=2...c-b60c1475d1e0

fiddlerpaul 09-09-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparty10 (Post 2046567331)
What is the secret to playing good defense? This is my first NHL game since 2007 or so. I've been playing on pro 8 min qtrs. losing games 10-2/3 pretty consistently with the Redwings. Also, in 4 games I've yet to be on the power play with penalties all the way up.

Ha welcome to my world...others seem to have less trouble...I chalk it up to my age.

jes5ant 09-09-2014 11:56 AM

I've been getting called for almost all the penalties i've seen. But I'm overly aggressive around the boards. I find that I try to funnel the players toward the boards. If they get past me i try to keep pace and cut them off with a poke check. I generally found in the past few years I had to be a lot less aggressive. Also players can dangle you fairly easily in this game if you are always trying to hit them. Detroit torched me last night. So shifty.

Sparty10 09-09-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddlerpaul (Post 2046567359)
Ha welcome to my world...others seem to have less trouble...I chalk it up to my age.

Haha I'm 29, hope this game hasn't passed me by! This is the first time playing it since they switched to the skills stick or whatever it is.

jes5ant 09-09-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakar (Post 2046567357)
here's a video that expose how weak the AI can be. This was on All-Stars hardcore mode.

Have you never seen a tipped pass lead to a breakaway? These things happen.

iamcline 09-09-2014 12:03 PM

My thoughts thus far:

- Gameplay is definitely improved over last-gen/ NHL 14. Only real complaint is that it is still fairly easy to carry the puck into the offensive zone.
- 3D Models are exceptional. Being on the PS4 version I do believe that the texture quality seems a bit washed out, but overall it's okay.
- Hockey Ultimate Team could've been so much better. Kind of embarrassing how bad it truly is. If NHL HUT is your favorite game mode, be prepared to play 1v1 vs. computer against teams of your choice or 1v1 online seasons. That's it, simple as that.

gator3guy 09-09-2014 12:15 PM

Passes are way too fast. Doesn't seem like the trigger is pressure sensitive anymore. A simple puck sends a scorcher. Too magnetic.

Little bit of a dangle fest out there. Guys go through sticks without losing the puck. Dale Weise walked through my entire team and scored a goal. Defenders are once again left with little tools to work with.

Still think the gameplay is too fast and twitchy.

They need to make online hardcore. Guys are flying all over the ice. Hits are still overpowered.

I know this seems like a negative post but the game does some things well. They just need tweaks which unfortunately has been the case for a few years now.

jes5ant 09-09-2014 12:19 PM

BeaGM well into December, still no progression growth on any of my players. You have it working on prev gen. How do you not make sure it works here? FFS! You only have 3 modes and 2 of them are broken!

BillsFan1113 09-09-2014 12:22 PM

Got myself a good slider set now, default anything is way too arcadey which stinks for online play, but having the game speed down and pass and shot speeds down, pass reception ease and pass accuracy needed too, I've been getting very very sloppy games and I love it do far, true broadcast camera, ten minute periods....looks like all I'll play is be a GM for a long time....happy so far, this coming from someone who isn't bothered by eashl and live the life being out....i don't edit players and the draft was always boring anyways, not to excuse them for all this but TO ME it has no bearing. Game is gorgeous on PS4, when I turned my brightness down on the tv and saw how detailed the ice is from fresh to tore up, man that is beautiful. It's a good first step, can't wait to see what happens for nhl 16-20.....I'm happy with what we have for now.

BillsFan1113 09-09-2014 12:24 PM

I'd like to add that I will give a further impression about a week from now when I get 100 games under my belt an see what comes after this honeymoon phase.....

gopher_guy 09-09-2014 12:26 PM

I hate how you have to play Kings vs. Rangers in the first game. Let me choose the teams I want to play with..

edit: Maybe I don't have it fully installed or something, because I quit out and went to Play Now and I still could only use Kings/Rangers.

Or are those the only two teams in the game? ;)

PES3Paul 09-09-2014 12:27 PM

http://o.canada.com/technology/gamin...ssing-features

Canada.com review: 5.5/10

m_maclean24 09-09-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparty10 (Post 2046567331)

A couple of things to keep in mind...we have very little at our disposal on the defensive side of things. You have to use poke check as a weapon...if you continually go for huge hits, you will be burned. Also, just from playing the demo, I noticed the AI really loves to exploit the cross-crease/in the slot one timers. Your defensive positioning and defense against this is going to be key....unfortunately the penalty issue has become a legacy issue in the latest NHL releases, and there is no fix...

CarryTheWeight 09-09-2014 12:38 PM

I am so glad Family Video stores still exist in the Buffalo area. SO glad I was able to rent a copy and have a week's worth of Play Now games instead of wasting 60 dollars and letting the game collect dust until modes/features are patched in.

I'm not too happy with the game's AI on All-Star difficulty. It resorts to "video game tactics" to score goals and passes are just way too perfect/robotic for my liking. That, or the Sabres' defense and goaltending are sieves considering they were the worst in the league by far last year. It just seems too many AI one-timers are going in, but I'll either play with sliders or switch to "Pro" and see what happens.

Teammate AI should get a once-over next year as well. I don't want to be held responsible for the terrible decisions my teammates make when the AI is rifling off laser passes in every direction imaginable to set up another one-timer goal.

Warts and all, I'm enjoying the in-game experience. As someone who freelances on sports broadcasts, the experience just feels authentic. Ray Ferraro NAILED it. FIFA and EA are great examples of presentation done right and I'll be looking forward to seeing it perfected in 16.

It's just too bad the game doesn't really extend beyond Play Now and that makes the game much worse. I'll buy NHL 15 at around the 20-30 dollar mark in a few months but I don't see how this game has any lasting appeal in its current state and price.

jack72 09-09-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PES3Paul (Post 2046567499)

A very well balanced review...

I was going to get an xbox 1 for this, but now I will hold off.

For anyone that has the 360 version, what is the gameplay like and is there the season mode where you can play any team, any league.

Also, for the 360, can you add custom music.

m_maclean24 09-09-2014 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakar (Post 2046567357)

I'm not catching what was wrong with that? Are you pointing out that the defencemen were caught flat footed on a tipped pass? as someone said a few posts back...this happens...

jimlutherdavis 09-09-2014 12:47 PM

please help!!!!!!!!!

could someone who has this game for ps4 tell me whether there is a create a player option or not? ive heard yes and no - please help. if it has it ill buy it, if not i wont. thanks in advance

jake19ny 09-09-2014 12:51 PM

I see a lot of gameplay impressions posted and I'm going to dive into gameplay and sliders in a few minutes to see if the game is playable but I'm not sure why because it looks like offline season gamers like me are screwed. I was hoping I could find a way to make BeaGM work to play a season and I'm not sure I can. Here the things I have found already most of it bad:

Good:
1) The schedule for year one seems to be the real schedule
2) The simmed games had fairly good scoring and variety

that's where the good ends

Bad:
1) You cannot set it to just one season it has a minimum of 5 seasons. Not that big of a deal you can just play the one anyway
2) You can turn off salary cap, CPU to CPU trades but that does not stop them from offering you idiotic trades. 6 games in (simmed) and the Stars offered me Horcoff for 2 no names on in the AHL. restarted a season and 6 games in (simmed again) Dallas offerd the same trade for 2 other no names....weird
3) You have to deal with constant notifications about scouts and other crap I would just assume avoid if I could play season mode
4) Not being able to control all teams is a huge problem. Forget about keeping up with the real rosters as you cannot force trades. Even set on easy I tried to get Parise from the Wild for a few minor leaguers and they wouldn't budge. This is an issue because the only way to keep the rosters realistic with the NHL season would be to trade the player to your team then send him off to his rightful new team. So you may be able to swing many trades this way but if a big name player goes to another team around the trade deadline for virtually nothing good luck making it happen. You also cannot control who the CPU teams call up and down
5) Not being able to edit players is a joke. If you trade a goalie he will wear your teams mask but wear his old colored pads. I traded for Backstrom and he wore Lundqvists mask but had the green and red on his pads still....amazing they have even more goalie gear this year and no way to use it except on a created player. On a side note there several new masks (Arizona, Dallas, Montreal, NYR, Winnipeg, and Vancouver) the rest are the same old same old.

4 and 5 may be the real deal breaker for me I could have dealt with the rest and could maybe find sliders to make the game playable but without roster control (which apparently you only get in season mode) and player edit this game may be useless to me. Rammers answers on both lead me to believe they will not be in an update but rather NHL 16 :mad:

To the poster above yes it has player create

UPDATE: There is also a problem in the menus. In BeaGM when you set your settings on the first page and then move on to advanced settings it keeps resetting the first page it also does this with sliders. If you set quick settings then change advanced it resets the quick settings menu.....ugh

m_maclean24 09-09-2014 12:51 PM

Re: please help!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimlutherdavis (Post 2046567578)
could someone who has this game for ps4 tell me whether there is a create a player option or not? ive heard yes and no - please help. if it has it ill buy it, if not i wont. thanks in advance

Game has create a player, but no edit player.

jimlutherdavis 09-09-2014 12:53 PM

thank you m_mclaine

PES3Paul 09-09-2014 12:58 PM

Hardcore Gamer: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/09...nhl-15/102931/

2.5/5

gopher_guy 09-09-2014 12:58 PM

I think it's pretty simple, folks.

The people who care about things like editing player equipment, EASHL, etc, etc, etc, aren't going to like the game.

People like me, who are just looking for a fun hockey game to play, will enjoy it.

I've played one game, and I had fun with it. The game looks fantastic, and plays pretty smoothly. I think once I figure out a good set of sliders, I will really enjoy it.

The jump from 360 to XB1, and the fact that I skipped NHL 14, I'm glad I bought this game.

PES3Paul 09-09-2014 01:00 PM

IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/09/nhl-15-review

7/10

PES3Paul 09-09-2014 01:14 PM

Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/nhl-15

Critics: 61 (PS4 version)
Gamers: 3.4/10

EliJ27 09-09-2014 01:31 PM

Problem...
I like to customize my game alot to my liking and here's a couple issues about CAP that i really don't like

in create a player you can't even edit a goalies pad color, custom faces are gone, you have to pick from the generic faces they put in the game, the word bank for your player name is really shrunken down, no more option to tuck in jerseys so you have to deal with the stupid things waving around the whole time..

Can't really put your home town in the game those options are really limited as well.

The one change I did like however is that you can actually set desired years for a contract of your created player.

In all i just kinda wish they would give you complete freedom in the game to do whatever you want, tweak it however you want, just give us complete control over a game that we pay nearly $70 for..

cake612 09-09-2014 01:41 PM

I played about 5 games online last night, one HUT and the rest H2H. The HUT game had a little lag but the other games ran super smooth which is good at least. I really don't notice a huge difference in gameplay. It's good and I didn't see any physics weirdness like Madden gets once in awhile but it's a bunch of smaller changes and nothing really jumps out at me right away as being a huge difference.

Yeah, don't really know what else to say, it is a solid functioning game of hockey on the ice especially for H2H play. Losing OTP is a huge blow, and it's also complete BS they don't have seasons in online H2H just HUT. I never dive that deep into GM mode anyways so not really sure how the AI compares in just single player games.

Also when watch the intro video again is an option on your main menu, perhaps you should hold off on shipping the game until you have enough modes to fill up the first screen of the menu.

gopher_guy 09-09-2014 01:51 PM

I think the ice degradation is a little over done.

SVCbearcat10 09-09-2014 01:52 PM

Some of the initial reviews turned this from a no buy to a buy from me. I don't care to edit players, nor to I play online outside of the occassion game to mix it up. If you enjoy playing a hockey video because you like the sport, rather than spending your time in the menus, then it is a buy.

Unlike MLB the Show, what I don't like with EA games is the inability to delegate certain tasks automatically (like scouting). I'm one of those who usually lets the CPU do most of the stuff, outside of major trades or signing top 2 line players. All I care about is how it plays hockey and it does a great job at that.

Side note, poor positioning, unlucky puck bounces, bad goalie positioning happens all the time in the NHL. We expect everyone in a video game to play perfect when it doesn't happen in real life. Goalies give up awful, soft goals almost every game. Sometimes the shooter just beats him even though he's in position. Defenders get caught flat footed, out of position multiple times a game. The game does a good job simulating those aspects. You remember the 2 or 3 bad plays that give up goals and think the AI is awful but forget the other 90% of the game where they were doing their job... just like in real life.

In the end, if you care about gamplay, then it's a buy. If you like more of the team management aspects rather than playing the game, then I'd pass. It's that simple.

franch1se 09-09-2014 01:52 PM

How does drew doughty...arguably the Kings best player and a top 5 D, and a finalist for the cover not have a cyber face?

Anyways,

Puck physics are really good, I'm enjoying that.
Obviously the graphics are really good, I have it on the PS4.
Most of the game modes missing do not really bother me as I am an offline GM mode player only and it appears a few missing pieces may be patched in.

I'm enjoying this game so far.

adayinthelife 09-09-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopher_guy (Post 2046567832)
I think the ice degradation is a little over done.

It's actually one of my favourite upgrades, personally...

Played a game yesterday on the Access version where I spent almost the entire 2nd period in the attacking zone. Was neat to see how chewed up the ice was down there vs. my own end, and I like the sense of depth it gives to the surface.

No Pressure 09-09-2014 01:54 PM

Another EA casual sports game. There really isn't much more to be told that hasn't already been said. As a hardcore sports fan in general, it pains me to see EA short change us hardcore fans year in and year out. I get it, EA wants money and money is mostly generated from the casual fan base. From a casual sit down with some buddies and play perspective, EA has always been able to produce a quality game.

This game however was the straw that broke the camels back. The fact that no NHL 14 was released for next gen, and this is the product we get for nhl 15 is just flat out embarrassing. Missing modes? No player customization? Are you serious? Is this 1994 or 2014? Get real EA. My goalie shouldn't be a robot in pads and I shouldn't be able to dangle like Patrick Kane with Raffi Torres..Just the fact that EA is greedy enough to charge full price for a half-*** game is enough to stop buying EA games for me.

Thrash13 09-09-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopher_guy (Post 2046567617)
I think it's pretty simple, folks.

The people who care about things like editing player equipment, EASHL, etc, etc, etc, aren't going to like the game.

People like me, who are just looking for a fun hockey game to play, will enjoy it.

That's how I feel about it as well. The fact FIFA 15 comes out so soon after this game's release will probably be the reason I don't get it for awhile, but the lack of modes isn't the reason for me. I just like how FIFA is looking this year more. My son and I played the demo last night, and the game looks great and plays pretty well. I think people wanting a fun hockey game that looks great will be very happy with this one. I might get it on Black Friday if it's on the cheap, but there are just a couple games ahead of it right now on my radar.

jes5ant 09-09-2014 01:59 PM

Trade deadline day has been completely nerfed. It is no different than any other day. I got one trade request which is declined and that was it.

canucksss 09-09-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PES3Paul (Post 2046567627)

Who is trusting IGN in their reviews of games produced by these giant corporations?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake19ny (Post 2046567591)
I see a lot of gameplay impressions posted and I'm going to dive into gameplay and sliders in a few minutes to see if the game is playable but I'm not sure why because it looks like offline season gamers like me are screwed. I was hoping I could find a way to make BeaGM work to play a season and I'm not sure I can. Here the things I have found already most of it bad:

UPDATE: There is also a problem in the menus. In BeaGM when you set your settings on the first page and then move on to advanced settings it keeps resetting the first page it also does this with sliders. If you set quick settings then change advanced it resets the quick settings menu.....ugh

I am waiting for the copy from my nephew who used to be a game designer in EA. He still get some free stuffs from his buddies working in EA and in return receive games from the company where my nephew works. I'll be posting my take exclusive in BaGM.

Anyhow, can you tell me if you notice the amount of penalties in your games? What difficulty ar you using....AS/Sim? Do you notice the AI defense in particular Neutral zone? Also, is your AI teammates smarter? I will be focusing on these later. Thanks.

ddhex27 09-09-2014 02:33 PM

This is by far the most fun and organic feeling hockey game ever made by EA. The effort put into getting the puck physics right paid huge dividends in the gameplay department, because the puck feels natural.

I am also finding that the skill stick is much improved from the demo and allows for faster response on the left and right deke moves.

It's kind of amazing that probably the best core hockey gameplay experience EA has ever made is going to get lost in all the hoopla surrounding missing features.