Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports NHL Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=556)
-   -   Hardcore vs Simulation (/forums/showthread.php?t=761377)

Steven547 09-09-2014 03:03 PM

Hardcore vs Simulation

Hoping to get clarification here. When I first started to play NHL 15, it asks you to set up your preferences. From this screen, it says that SIMULATION is the more "balanced"gameplay. I would assume this means realism.

However, when you go into the sliders, it says that HARDCORE is the most realistic.

So, I'm confused. Any clarification on which is which and better for a realistic experience? I know that we start with one, then as we change, it moves to custom. But what is the difference between balanced and realistic then??

Thanks.

Al_Tito13 09-09-2014 03:29 PM

Re: Hardcore vs Simulation

To be honest, game style names aren't really good or revealing and it helps bringing a lot of confusion. What they call Simulation to me should be called Arcade, since there is a lot of assist given to the player in term of passing and hitting, there is less fatigue, more puck control and it goes on and on. What they call Hardcore for me could be called Simulation, because it's harder and the most realistic setting.

By the way, All-Star/Hardcore is the setting used for online games.

eal2yf 09-10-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_Tito13 (Post 2046568153)
To be honest, game style names aren't really good or revealing and it helps bringing a lot of confusion. What they call Simulation to me should be called Arcade, since there is a lot of assist given to the player in term of passing and hitting, there is less fatigue, more puck control and it goes on and on. What they call Hardcore for me could be called Simulation, because it's harder and the most realistic setting.

Source? Are you 100% sure? Because the goalies seem awful and i consistently seem to poke check the puck off my opponents stick, only for him to retrieve possession of it within a half second or so...

Basically, i've just spent the last hour trying to figure out how to play online versus in hardcore 'mode', and this is the first i'm hearing of any ability to do so, let alone it being the default.

Steven547 09-10-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_Tito13 (Post 2046568153)

Thanks for the response. And that is what confuses me. On one screen it says SIM is the "balanced" gameplay. Another says Hardcore is the most realistic. So when they say "balanced" I would assume realistic and that the game plays to the ratings and there is no over the top gameplay.

Then I see the "hardcore" definition in a later menu saying "most realistic". I understand that once you change settings, it goes to custom. However, the " basis"has been set underneath.

One thing I'm pretty sure about....the sliders seem to work a whole heck of a lot better this year. I have pass accuracy at 0 with retention real low and see a lot of missed passes. And with one time difficulty at 0, I see guys missing one timers from a few feet out.

Al_Tito13 09-10-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eal2yf (Post 2046570821)
Source?

https://twitter.com/Rammer34/status/504347447292747776

jake19ny 09-11-2014 12:21 PM

Truth is it doesn't matter if your going to make adjustments to sliders. Arcade, Simulation, and Hardcore are just pre set sliders allegedly providing us with that style game play. Its not like there is something hardcoded into the game that makes it play different when you select one or the other. That's why no matter what you select the minute you adjust just one slider the mode changes from whatever you selected to "Custom"

Al_Tito13 09-11-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake19ny (Post 2046574765)
Truth is it doesn't matter if your going to make adjustments to sliders. Arcade, Simulation, and Hardcore are just pre set sliders allegedly providing us with that style game play. Its not like there is something hardcoded into the game that makes it play different when you select one or the other. That's why no matter what you select the minute you adjust just one slider the mode changes from whatever you selected to "Custom"

I also thought this was true, but after some people said the opposite, I tested it last year starting from the High Impact game style, while making the same adjustments. And it was definitely playing differently from Hardcore. I don't know if it's still the case this year though.

iommirules 09-13-2014 01:51 AM

"simulation" is more arcadey than hardcore (go figya). If you like 8-5 games and Lundquist to have an 825 save percentage play simulation. If u like lower scoring defensive games go with hardcore. I personally don't like to mess with sliders unless the game gets to easy or hard in the defined areas.