Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports NHL (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   So I'm absolutely terrible at this game.... (/forums/showthread.php?t=769732)

creamsodaboy 10-14-2014 07:55 PM

So I'm absolutely terrible at this game....

Any tips that you guys would like to give me on how to find success?

Long story short, I am fairly new to the game of hockey. I've only been a casual follower for the past year, and am very unfamiliar with hockey terminology, offensive and defensive strategies, things like that.

I have attempted to play some HUT games because I love the game mode, but I am getting DESTROYED online. I then switched to some play now games, yet still can't figure out how to be successful. I'll get a goal every once in a blue moon, but for the most part opponents are puttying up 3-4 goals a game.

Any help is appreciated!

SoAwesome 10-14-2014 08:05 PM

Re: So I'm absolutely terrible at this game....

Stick to College Football and leave NHL for the pros. Tired of online ruined by garbage players like you

creamsodaboy 10-14-2014 08:17 PM

Seriously man? I come here looking for a little help, that's it. There's no reason to be a jerk about things.

Segagendude 10-14-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creamsodaboy (Post 2046691933)
Any tips that you guys would like to give me on how to find success?

Long story short, I am fairly new to the game of hockey. I've only been a casual follower for the past year, and am very unfamiliar with hockey terminology, offensive and defensive strategies, things like that.

I have attempted to play some HUT games because I love the game mode, but I am getting DESTROYED online. I then switched to some play now games, yet still can't figure out how to be successful. I'll get a goal every once in a blue moon, but for the most part opponents are puttying up 3-4 goals a game.

Any help is appreciated!

I can relate. Bought my first NHL game back in 09 and didn't have a clue. (I don't play online though)

By watching real games and lots of practice in practice mode, I got better.

As for strategies--- I can't really explain those. I set different strategies for each line I use and stick with those that work.

My advice---- play as much offline as you can to get better. Be careful who you play online as there are cheesers galore who will make you look bad. (Which is why I don't play online)

Nicker_Bopper 10-14-2014 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoAwesome (Post 2046691975)
Stick to College Football and leave NHL for the pros. Tired of online ruined by garbage players like you

No reason to act like this. If you have nothing helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

To answer your question sodaboy, I would say your best bet is to go into practice mode and spend a good amount of time in there. Get a handle for all of the moves (dekes and shots) that can be made. If you get on YouTube, you can find a few videos on there that break down specific dekes and scoring strategies that you can try.

After that, try some play now games on the easiest level. It will seem like a joke, but at least your can get a feel for the game with a team aspect. As far as I know, there isn't any practice situations where you can do a 5 on 5 practice. As you get used to it, bump up the difficulty levels step by step.

As for online, I would stay away from that until you get a better handle on the game. Most of the guys on there have a lot of experience with NHL, and most likely will continue to easily beat you until you get a better understanding offline.

Hope this helps.

tessl 10-14-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicker_Bopper (Post 2046692112)
No reason to act like this. If you have nothing helpful to say, don't say anything at all.

To answer your question sodaboy, I would say your best bet is to go into practice mode and spend a good amount of time in there. Get a handle for all of the moves (dekes and shots) that can be made. If you get on YouTube, you can find a few videos on there that break down specific dekes and scoring strategies that you can try.

After that, try some play now games on the easiest level. It will seem like a joke, but at least your can get a feel for the game with a team aspect. As far as I know, there isn't any practice situations where you can do a 5 on 5 practice. As you get used to it, bump up the difficulty levels step by step.

As for online, I would stay away from that until you get a better handle on the game. Most of the guys on there have a lot of experience with NHL, and most likely will continue to easily beat you until you get a better understanding offline.

Hope this helps.

I just got the game today. How do you win a faceoff?

Nicker_Bopper 10-14-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessl (Post 2046692297)

There's a really good video I watched when I started playing a couple years ago. Let me see if the guy has done any updates for this year's version.

Nicker_Bopper 10-14-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tessl (Post 2046692297)

Here it is. Try this out and see if it helps. Timing is everything for faceoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftfeh7fww_0