Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Mobile (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=516)
-   -   Seasons and sleep loss: how do you manage? (/forums/showthread.php?t=772461)

HarrySTruman 10-19-2014 02:51 PM

Seasons and sleep loss: how do you manage?

I enjoy Seasons mode -- except when I have to choose between sleeping and winning. (I've submitted some suggestions to address this in the Seasons forum, such as a 12-hour-on, 12-hour-off Seasons mode, or a short one-day Season.)

But assuming we're stuck with the current round-the-clock mode, I'm wondering: how do you guys manage this? I guess one way would be to time the start of your season so that the playoff rounds happen (mostly) during waking hours. But playoff series can vary in duration from 4 to 7 games, making it somewhat difficult to predict what time of day the later rounds will occur. And if that final series is taking place from 1 a.m. through 8 a.m., it'll disrupt my sleep -- after a five-day investment of time, I can't resist peeking at the thing and recharging at 3 a.m., and then I can't get back to sleep, yada yada.

In particular, is there an optimal time to start a Season? 82 games is 82 hours; then what, another potential 16-to-28 playoff games? So the whole season is between 98 and 120 hours? If 98, I'm tempted to say one should start in the evening, ensuring that game number 96 will wind up at the evening too. But I dunno. Last year I just forced myself to stop playing because I was stressing out too much about sleep loss during playoffs.

Anyone else given this any thought?

NWGameDad 10-19-2014 09:34 PM

Re: Seasons and sleep loss: how do you manage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarrySTruman (Post 2046709530)
I enjoy Seasons mode -- except when I have to choose between sleeping and winning. (I've submitted some suggestions to address this in the Seasons forum, such as a 12-hour-on, 12-hour-off Seasons mode, or a short one-day Season.)

But assuming we're stuck with the current round-the-clock mode, I'm wondering: how do you guys manage this? I guess one way would be to time the start of your season so that the playoff rounds happen (mostly) during waking hours. But playoff series can vary in duration from 4 to 7 games, making it somewhat difficult to predict what time of day the later rounds will occur. And if that final series is taking place from 1 a.m. through 8 a.m., it'll disrupt my sleep -- after a five-day investment of time, I can't resist peeking at the thing and recharging at 3 a.m., and then I can't get back to sleep, yada yada.

In particular, is there an optimal time to start a Season? 82 games is 82 hours; then what, another potential 16-to-28 playoff games? So the whole season is between 98 and 120 hours? If 98, I'm tempted to say one should start in the evening, ensuring that game number 96 will wind up at the evening too. But I dunno. Last year I just forced myself to stop playing because I was stressing out too much about sleep loss during playoffs.

Anyone else given this any thought?

Keep in mind Seasons are played by people around the world. What is your sleep time is someone else's awake time. Seasons are purposely designed to allow for people to miss some games and not completely blow their Season, hence the 1 hour long games.

Now in the Playoffs every game becomes more important. We made several changes to the Season Manager last year to make it a more viable option for use as a means to energize during players. The manager covers only 20 games this year, but it raises energy on 5 cards at a time (vs. the 1 in Supercard), and the cost has been lowered to 300 Credits.

Before you jump in and say, "it's not fair I have to spend money to win in the Playoffs and sleep", remember that we give away lots of free Credits. Both in the Ladder rewards and in the Daily VC Bonus. Saving up 300 Credits is not unreasonable in order to sleep well when you're in the Playoffs.

HarrySTruman 10-19-2014 11:08 PM

Thanks very much for your reply, NWGameDad. Actually, I don't think it's unreasonable for you to charge credits for a sleep-saving mechanic, but 300 sounds like a lot; I've been playing obsessively for a week or so, and I have all of 320 credits to my name. Also, I couldn't find this Manager thing in the game. What screen is it on?

I understand that time zones present a challenge, but I think there might be some creative ways to make a game that more of us are willing to play (and even spend real money on). Maybe leagues organized by time zone, with Seasons broken into a week of 12-hour-per-day matches. Or just Seasons that start every hour for 12-hour periods, repeated seven times, open to anyone who thinks the start-and-end times are reasonable for them. Or mini-seasons only 12 hours long.

Last year I ditched this game because I was stressing out too much over an app too late at night. Even with this Manager thing, I will probably do the same thing this year. That means I won't be tempted into spending real money on credits, etc. I'm just trying to suggest that you guys might have a business reason to make the schedule a bit more sleep-friendly. :)

Thanks again for your reply.

jigz87 10-20-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarrySTruman (Post 2046711284)
Also, I couldn't find this Manager thing in the game. What screen is it on?

When you're in a Season click on Manage Season then click on your boosts then scroll down you will find the Manager in there.

putakti 10-22-2014 03:07 AM

After cracking the best combination for season, I am not worrying about this for regular season but when it comes to playoffs I have to be awake :)

jadeany 10-22-2014 03:59 AM

number 96 will wind up at the evening too. But I dunno. Last year I just forced myself to stop playing because I was stressing out too much about sleep loss during playoffs.

DAROCK2300 10-25-2014 08:59 PM

If you're losing sleep because you want to play a card collecting game then you may have a problem. :google:

Denkiteki 10-25-2014 09:21 PM

The best formula imo is try to make sure the playoff starts BEFORE your bed time (say 1 - 3 hours before). That makes game 2 or 3 the game in which you would be sleeping. It might sound crazy but remember that most playoffs, like you said, are 16 - 28 hours. Majority are likely in the middle so probably closer to 20 - 24 hour range. The first round generally goes 6 or 7 games mostly due to having the most series and generally 1 of those series go long (which the rest ends in 4 or 5). If you have an easy round 1 (which is often the case if you manage a top 4 seed), then game 5, 6, and possibly 7 won't matter for you. Winning game 1 and likely being fully rested for 2 should be enough for you to win the series. You might lose 1 or 2 games in round 2 but again this is probably the easiest team (out of the remaining teams) that you'll face and you should be able to recover... and win 4 straight (at least in theory, the best chance you'll get at winning 4 straight).

The rest of the games, you should be awake for unless every series does indeed go 7 games (remember for this to be true, your finals also needs to go 7 games... if you manage to win the finals in 4, then you'll be done before you sleep.).

Of course this doesn't beat the alternative of spending credit or just not sleeping. If you really must win a season, then i guess go with the don't sleep route or sleep in 90 minutes interval.