Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   All Pro Football 2K (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   New APF Football Editor (/forums/showthread.php?t=813202)

KingJavo 12-03-2014 09:13 PM

New APF Football Editor

I'm planning to create the missing pieces and pick up where Finn's editor left off to edit player names and maybe even have the teams organized so you can scroll through teams.

If people are interested, then I could use help in finding the hex offsets which control the names. If anyone knows where these offsets live, then I can start working on the names.

I just don't have the time to look and if people can help that will speed things up.

I'd also like to gather a list of items the community would like to have so we can do this as a team. It's too daunting to find the offsets and do the coding as well. Much of the hex has been uncovered from what I've seen over the years, it's just a matter of putting it all together.

If anyone can help and wants the editor, please contribute and I'll get started asap.

K33057 12-03-2014 09:50 PM

Re: New APF Football Editor

Check out this guy,,, darthdestromd
He has a 2k8 fb site where he made rosters.
http://destroapf2k8rosters.webstarts.com/index.html

KingJavo 12-04-2014 12:38 PM

Really I just need someone to go I to the game and change one player's first name to be longer or shorter, save, then look at the before and after in the hex file.

Then complete the same steps for the last name.

I need the offsets in the player attributes which point to the names. I can probably get a little time this weekend if the community can't dig this out.

jyoung 12-04-2014 03:46 PM

It's not that simple, unfortunately.

This is what a normal cell of player data looks like inside a hex editor:

The color-coded areas contain most of a player's information:

Attributes, abilities, position, jersey number, facial structure, tier, shoe type, face mask type, birth year -- all of this stuff is already present in FlyingFinn's editor.

But if all you do is change a player's first and last name, none of the numbers inside that data cell will change.

Best I can tell, the only numbers in one of those cells that have anything to do with the player's name are the two boxes near the top of the data set that I've stenciled in a black outline.

If you mess with those two boxes and manually change their values, you can reset a players name so that it's completely blank, and then you'll be able to retype it from scratch inside the game's regular player editing screen.

KingJavo 12-04-2014 04:00 PM

JYoung, thanks for the info.

Did you try changing the length of the names or were the lengths the same? Meaning if you change the first name from 4 characters to let's say 10, do those numbers change?

I'd be surprised if they didn't. Also you mentioned you can go into the game and change the name from blank to something. Do those attribute values change then?

Let me know.

jyoung 12-04-2014 04:10 PM

Changing the name length won't have any affect on a player's data cell. I can change someone like "David Hawthorne" to "Al Bundy" and his cell will still look identical in hex code.

The only way that the values in the stenciled black boxes will change is if you go into a hex editor and change them manually. They don't seem to react to any changes that you make in FlyingFinn's editor or any changes that you make from the in-game player editor.

So let's say "David Hawthorne" was originally "00 19 72 47 00 19 72 65"

Then I decide that I want to reset his name and change him to "00 19 71 46 00 19 71 64" which causes his name to show up as blank in the game.

When I go into the in-game player editor screen and rename him to something like "Randal Graves" his code would still read "00 19 71 46 00 19 71 64" when I bring that roster file back into a hex editor.

jyoung 12-04-2014 04:19 PM

These are the only other places I know of in the roster file where player names are listed:

offset 00208730 through offset 0020FFF0 (legends and generics)

offset 0021200 through offset 00222000 (legends and generics)

offset 00222020 through offset 00222560 (created players)

If you change the names there by entering new hex values, the new name has to have the same amount of letters as the old name, otherwise the file won't work.

If you use this method, it also only changes a player's displayed name. The announcers will still refer to the athlete's original name in the play-by-play commentary.

I never figured out how to change a player's play-by-play name using hex editing.

KingJavo 12-04-2014 07:41 PM

Ok. I'll play around and see if I can figure it out.

Didn't the rate sports guys figure this all out already?

They seem to have all the names and audio to go with it.