Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Pickoffs? (/forums/showthread.php?t=843926)

Mikeyo918 05-31-2015 07:37 PM

Pickoffs?

What the secret to pick offs? Are you supposed to aim with the left analog stick? 1 out of every 3 quick pick off attempts seem to sail into the stands. It's crazy.

countryboy 05-31-2015 07:42 PM

Re: Pickoffs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyo918 (Post 2047358952)
What the secret to pick offs? Are you supposed to aim with the left analog stick? 1 out of every 3 quick pick off attempts seem to sail into the stands. It's crazy.

Which pickoff move are you using? There are 3 different types (Quick, Deceptive, and Casual)

I will typically use either quick or casual 90% of the time and then deceptive once in a while due to this issue.

Pickoffs still need to be worked on both as the pitcher and the runner.

Mikeyo918 05-31-2015 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy (Post 2047358978)
Which pickoff move are you using? There are 3 different types (Quick, Deceptive, and Casual)

I will typically use either quick or casual 90% of the time and then deceptive once in a while due to this issue.

Pickoffs still need to be worked on both as the pitcher and the runner.

I'm strictly casual now because of the amount of overthrows. Quick is an overthrow almost every time and deceptive is 1/4 attempts.

countryboy 05-31-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeyo918 (Post 2047358997)
I'm strictly casual now because of the amount of overthrows. Quick is an overthrow almost every time and deceptive is 1/4 attempts.

Agreed, I had my buttons mixed up. I use Casual and Deceptive the most. Once is a while I'll throw a quick due to it most of the time ending up in the stands.

I'm hoping at some point we get pickoff ratings for pitchers that will help determine the success/failure rate of a pickoff, instead of the random roll of the dice.

canes21 05-31-2015 08:01 PM

Maybe I am odd, but some signature pickoffs or just per base ratings would be nice. Teheran has one of the best moves to 2nd in all of the majors, but it's no different from Lester's in the game.

PadreFan84 05-31-2015 08:37 PM

Can you even pick anyone off this year? I haven't been able to. And the runner seems to NEVER slide back into the base this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

canes21 05-31-2015 08:51 PM

I never see that AI take a step anymore. That would explain the no sliding.

Beat LA 05-31-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PadreFan84 (Post 2047359166)
Can you even pick anyone off this year? I haven't been able to. And the runner seems to NEVER slide back into the base this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just last night, I was picked off 4 times in one game. I would do one step leadoff with no problems, usually without even attempting a steal. I would get picked off about once every 5 or so games. My opponent was using Madison Bumgarner, and I know he has a good move, but I don't get that rate when I use MadBum.

The game was all bad anyway, as I had about 15 hits with no runs scored. Any hit to the outfield triggered bad lag, and I had to run station to station because I couldn't tell if the ball actually rolled to the wall, or was in the outfielder's hands already.