Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Commentary Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=846930)

Agatorfan 07-06-2015 06:07 PM

Commentary Thread

It's time to let out your matt vasgerian,Eric Karros and Steve Lyons frustrations here. It's time for a commentary change. I've literally heard Matt say the same exact thing from mlb 07 the show

Syce 07-06-2015 06:34 PM

Re: Commentary Thread

it would be way better if they added in the real commentators for each major league team, then use matt, etc for all the minor league junk.

Jr. 07-06-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sycecg (Post 2047471738)
it would be way better if they added in the real commentators for each major league team, then use matt, etc for all the minor league junk.

Add audio for 32 groups of broadcast teams? You might want to lower your demands a little.

countryboy 07-06-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

This will never happen.

As for the commentary, I'm more than likely in the extreme minority but I like it. Yes there are things I would like to be added but it doesn't bother me like it does others. My thought I guess is that no matter how many lines you add, eventually they are going to be repeated, especially if you play a bunch of games.

:y220b:

WaitTilNextYear 07-06-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jr. (Post 2047471754)
Add audio for 32 groups of broadcast teams? You might want to lower your demands a little.

I think the absolute most we could ever hope for is to have each team's announcers do maybe 5-10 similar lines in their particular idiom (i.e. "here's the lineup for your hometown xxxxxxx"). I would love to hear Pat Hughes say "Chicago Cubs baseball is on the air!" as the game loads; this would be an example of what I mean. Replacing the current broadcast team with all 32 teams (radio or TV) would basically be impossible (although it would be amazing).

Agatorfan 07-06-2015 07:35 PM

Quote:

Whoever invents this system will be filthy rich. Not likely though

HozAndMoose 07-06-2015 08:39 PM

Turn off the commentary. Post an ad on craigslist for 2 guys to sit and commentate in real life while you play the game. Problem solved.

ML 07-06-2015 11:00 PM

My only issue is that the guys upstairs feel the need to constantly remind you when you are throwing a no-hitter / perfect game. Don't jinx it! :splat:

Houston 07-07-2015 12:00 AM

They should try to get Kruk, Jon Miller and Hall of Famer Joe Morgan, The get Jeanne Zelasko and Steve Lyons before the game start introductions and have do on the side line (in the dugouts) reports.

TheWarmWind 07-07-2015 10:12 AM

I said it in the last thread about the commentary and I'll say it again. It would be nice to see some improvement, but it's not the worst thing in the world and there are far more glaring issues in the game. The developers have limited time and resources in order to make improvements for 16, and I prefer if they focus on other things.

bradfish16 07-07-2015 12:36 PM

For the most part the content is ok, the problem is MV asking EK if curveballs should be thrown for strikes in every single game. Most lines are triggered too often and Karros and Lyons's lines are often too long-winded. It would be good if they could record more team- and player-specific content nut I understand it is difficult to avoid excessive repetition.

Armor and Sword 07-07-2015 12:56 PM

NBA2K15.....widely regarded as some of the best play by play and color commentary.

I have heard it all already.

When you play full seasons 82 games (on 2K), 162 games on The Show....no matter what you do, it will get repetitive.

What 2K basketball does better is how the lines come out and how natural the back and forth sounds. Where as MLB can sound more stitched together. But even so....it's not bad at all.

What I would like is far more dynamic commentary regarding your current franchise. More talk about hitter batter matchup's, the division races, injuries and trades around the league.

I used to see trades shown during games on MLB 12 and I believe 13. But I have never seen those trade graphics in 14 or 15 in game.

The Show has solid if unspectacular presentation in the audio department regarding play by play. It has improved each and every year.

I agree though that certain lines are triggered far too often and have become a chuckle for me as I have played well over 300 games already this season between all my leagues/franchises etc. The "establishing the inside part of the plate" to the "Throwing that curve for a strike" needs to be toned down a lot.

But overall it's been good for me. And they are a relaxing crew in the booth. Baseball is a relaxing game for me, the pace, the tension etc. I think the broadcast team on The Show is tempered properly.

knick9mm 07-07-2015 01:09 PM

I think a big problem is how boring the commentators are. Matt sounds like hes just phoning it in

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

videobastard 07-07-2015 01:20 PM

Its behind in all the sports games in commentary delivery.

I would even be grateful for this over what we have now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptpefv5fiiM

Armor and Sword 07-07-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by videobastard (Post 2047474159)
Its behind in all the sports games in commentary delivery.

I would even be grateful for this over what we have now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptpefv5fiiM

I disagree. Madden is not nearly as good nor dynamic.

At all.

Blzer 07-07-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knick9mm (Post 2047474129)
I think a big problem is how boring the commentators are. Matt sounds like hes just phoning it in

I kind of agree. If you've heard this guy live, you'll know how his personality is reflected in his play-by-play commentary. Even his shows on MLB Network allows him to be a lot looser than how he's reading from scripts right now.

I wonder how good NHL 16's commentary will sound as they keep tightening up Doc Emrick's recorded lines from watching actual gameplay, because the first year was pretty darn horrendous.

Agatorfan 07-07-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blzer (Post 2047474343)
I kind of agree. If you've heard this guy live, you'll know how his personality is reflected in his play-by-play commentary. Even his shows on MLB Network allows him to be a lot looser than how he's reading from scripts right now.

I wonder how good NHL 16's commentary will sound as they keep tightening up Doc Emrick's recorded lines from watching actual gameplay, because the first year was pretty darn horrendous.

Yeah I noticed that as well. He actually makes jokes on mlb network. He sounds like a monotone robot on the show.

TheRealC7R 07-07-2015 02:41 PM

I agree with what Armor and Sword said about NBA 2K. Although, you are bound to hear certain lines repeatedly over the course of a season, it's definitely more organic and dynamic than MLB The Show. For example, in 2k, if a player gets injured in game 1 of a playoff series, the commentators may provide an in-game injury update via a sideline reporter and in game 2, they may mention how that player will be a big miss; returns from injury are also mentioned. They'll also mention how previous match-ups went, even match-ups from the past season or if a team was bounced out in the playoffs, etc. I feel MLB The Show gets stale too quickly. For example, that slide-step comment: "he seemed to quicken his delivery..." You can pretty much tell what lines are coming so these days I just play without it.

cardfan07 07-07-2015 05:50 PM

Idea:

Get the dudes in a recording studio together, have them watch a couple games and commentate over them real time while capturing it as a conversation.

Blzer 07-07-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardfan07 (Post 2047475038)
Idea:

Get the dudes in a recording studio together, have them watch a couple games and commentate over them real time while capturing it as a conversation.

Unfortunately the stitching would be poor, there would be lots of repetition, and it would bring us backward rather than forward. While there would be enthusiasm, that's about the best you'll get with it. NHL (and maybe NBA) seem to be the only good sports where you can do that, because of the nonstop action and jargon naturally used as they're commentating.

dazzelle 07-07-2015 11:50 PM

My main issues with the commentary are the lines that are said every game regardless of the teams/situation. Every team is a good fast ball hitting team,with 2 outs any part of a lineup can be trouble ect.

They also need to have more variety in the lines that are available in each situation, even if it's the same line change it up a bit to add some variety.

Would like to hear about how pitchers are going in the season, W/L ect.

One thing i would like to see added is some kind of acknowledgment in later games from the commentators when a player achieves a rare feat or milestone.
For example a pitcher throws a no hitter a line of commentary would be tagged to him so that in future games the commentators would mention his achievement during his intro or just randomly during a game.would be good for RtTS.

Agatorfan 07-08-2015 08:53 AM

I literally had a 25 inning game yesterday. Imagine how many lines were repeated in that game

ML 07-08-2015 11:03 AM

There are some cool unique lines that are said. For example, in my Nationals franchise when Werth came to the plate for the first time against the Phillies they mentioned how he was a key guy in their world series runs. Never introduced him with that same line for the rest of the 3 game series

UK0wnag3 07-08-2015 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agatorfan (Post 2047476800)
I literally had a 25 inning game yesterday. Imagine how many lines were repeated in that game

Both of them?

videobastard 07-08-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armor and Sword (Post 2047474338)
I disagree. Madden is not nearly as good nor dynamic.

At all.

I cant agree with that. What kills it for me with the show series is the two they put together every year with mat v sound like they are giving a tutorial to ******** children.

I could understand if it was a tutorial mode but not the actual game being played. There is no sense of realism with the way they deliver their dialogue.

Then we have matt v who is lifeless, no emotion, will literally put the user to sleep. Its embarrassing that the same commentary from 06 is still going on into this generation.

Phil simms tone of voice in madden at least comes off resembling like he would sound on tv although he may not have a extensive script to go by. Its very annoying such a great game like mlb the show can have such a poor contrast with its commentary.

Cycloniac 07-09-2015 11:45 AM

My main issue with the commentary is that it just feels stale. Like it hasn't been touched in several years.

For example, as a Yankee fan, when CC Sabathia is coming into the game, Matt says: "And starting today is the hard throwing CC Sabathia." CC hasn't thrown above 90 MPH consistently in years, and gets by on more finesse and location than power. Chase Headley is also referred to as being a dangerous hitter during scoring situations when he hasn't been a very good hitter over the last few years now. At least with NBA 2k, the dialogue is updated on a yearly basis.

MLB 2k, while a disappointing series, had the absolute best commentary of a baseball game, ever. Go watch an MLB 2k10 broadcast. I loved it. The flow was excellent, and it sounded natural. The references to historical data were also excellent. MLB the Show is going in the right direction by talking about how the teams are doing during franchise mode; that's a start.

Another nagging issue, as someone said previously, is that the color guys lines drag on way too long, and are interrupted by plays that are made. I literally have to hold down L2 whenever one of them starts talking, in order to prevent this. NBA 2k handles this a bit better by having the play by play guy reference the on-field action after the color guy finishes his analysis.

MythicalGnome 07-09-2015 01:45 PM

It's one of the first things I turn off. I want to feel like I am a hitter and a pitcher, not a guy watching TV.

Dick and Bert in MN are pretty good though, so it makes this game seem extra terrible.

thawkprime 21 07-10-2015 12:37 PM

Im just sick of every pop up that i hit behind home plate gets the "its gonna be a difficult one for him" line. I mean come on not every fly ball to the cather is a difficult one

Syce 07-10-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MythicalGnome (Post 2047481146)
It's one of the first things I turn off. I want to feel like I am a hitter and a pitcher, not a guy watching TV.

Dick and Bert in MN are pretty good though, so it makes this game seem extra terrible.

i find dick and bert to be too quiet a lot more than any other real life commentators. like last nights game they just sit quietly wait until the pitch is complete then they say strike or ball. but they never really say much else.

i enjoy Vin Scully commentary the most, because he talks about the players at bat or pitching or what have you, gives you some really nice info you may not know about with that player. like i learned why Craig Kimbrel has the stance he does. just as a example.

TonyDanzaFan 07-10-2015 02:30 PM

I don't mind Matt because he actually calls games. I've never heard Lyons or karros call games. I know they do but I've personally never heard either. Plus they're boring. Matt in mlb network is far from boring. Maybe get John smoltz or Jim kaat. I don't think they should get rid of Matt but completely revamp his lines. Make it actually seem like they're in the booth together. The old games with soup and rex kinda sounded like they were together and rex added excitement which is lacking completely. Matt goes crazy in real life on calls but is lethargic in the game. Just make them not sound disjointed. 2k does such a good job with this so it's possible. It just feels like virtually no effort has been placed on this aspect in many years

StevenSD 07-10-2015 03:22 PM

All I ask for is a different line when my batter who's well above .300 gets a 2-0 or 2-1 count, I'm kind of tired of, "And this is something we've been seeing him get into a lot lately..."

My only complaint about commentary

Agatorfan 07-10-2015 11:09 PM

Matt- and he's worked his way into another good hitters count how about that
How many times have I heard that line I don't really know

Cyberpunk85 07-11-2015 01:27 PM

That's the only thing I liked about MLB 2k. Kruk is awesome.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Cyberpunk85 07-11-2015 01:28 PM

I wish they could get Bob Ueker.

"Juuuuuust a bit outside. "

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

knick9mm 07-11-2015 07:53 PM

Is it possible (in any sports games) for lines and audio to be added into the game as the season goes on?

Agatorfan 07-13-2015 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knick9mm (Post 2047486954)
Is it possible (in any sports games) for lines and audio to be added into the game as the season goes on?

No, but that would be amazing

countryboy 07-14-2015 10:23 AM

I don't want new announcers as the ones they have don't bother me. But I would like to have more "dead play" talk where they discuss the goings ons of the league. Talk about standings, stats, playoff implications for not only your team, but the entire league as well.

Agatorfan 07-19-2015 03:57 PM

Wonder if 2k would let the show use all of the announcers for the game

zfarrow 07-19-2015 04:53 PM

One weird thing I've noticed that bothers me:

They never say the pitcher's name after the initial introduction at the beginning of the game. Its weird once you notice it.

TonyDanzaFan 07-19-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zfarrow (Post 2047504819)
One weird thing I've noticed that bothers me:

They never say the pitcher's name after the initial introduction at the beginning of the game. Its weird once you notice it.

Yeah, they just say the pause and the pitch,I think. It sounds like boggs with the pitch.