Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Golf (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Actual Golf: General Tourney discussion (/forums/showthread.php?t=847888)

daflyboys 07-20-2015 10:58 AM

Actual Golf: General Tourney discussion

Hard to believe with all of the vid game talk, there aren't thread made for actual events, especially majors.

Presently watching the final round of The Open. Amazing grouping at the top with primarily all of the young stars and some other familiar names, plus an amateur in contention. Of course, Spieth in the hunt to keep his calender grand slam hopes alive. It's crazy to think he has a shot of this when you consider how few people have a career GS. Then again, it's crazy to think that Tiger and Jack have 3 of those. Yes, Bobby Jones is considered to have a calendar GS, but that was before the Masters. Regardless, it's an amazing accomplishment.

Well, looks like the rains are intensifying....hopefully they don't have to suspend play again.

pietasterp 07-20-2015 11:31 AM

Re: Actual Golf: The British Open

I just like the title of the thread: "Actual" golf. Ha!

I hate the Monday finish because I have to watch it at work, as opposed to sitting in my boxers w/ a cup of coffee (fresh-ground pour-over) and donut/pastry...but thanks to the magical wonders of the Interwebs, I can at least keep one eye on the proceedings at work. Although if anyone asks, for the record I am NOT using work bandwidth to watch the Open.

I don't know what's happening out there, but people are going LOW today. Crazy. You might have to get to -16 to be the outright winner. It looks horrible out there, but I guess the wind isn't bad and that's the #1 enemy at St. Andrews. I thought Saturday was endlessly amusing, although I know it wasn't really playable. I loved it.

Go Zack Johnson and Jordan Spieth. Either one of those guys wins and I'll be pumped for them. Although frankly, anyone that's in contention now is supportable in any number of ways. I just like this leaderboard.

daflyboys 07-20-2015 11:36 AM

Heh...I like the "interwebs" term myself. Personally, I use "wide world webatorium". :)

Going for Jason Day.... like his swing and like how he recovered from what looked like a horrible bout with vertigo at the US Open. And how can you not pull for the Irish amateur?

ImTellinTim 07-20-2015 11:37 AM

There's so few of us that we usually just post in the Golfer's Thread when there are majors going on. Or there's the Tiger bash fest thread too if you want to get some hatin' in.

Anyway, since I have weekend tickets for the PGA - go Spieth!

Dustin Johnson has had one of the most incredible collapses. He should be destroying this course the way he hits the ball considering the conditions. He has the length to be putting for eagle on something like 7 holes. Yet he's +3 today...

daflyboys 07-20-2015 11:50 AM

It's crazy now how it's raining like crazy on one part of the course and practically nothing on another.

They're starting up the back 9 for the most part and this is such a great dog fight. Hopefully the rains don't halt things.

When is the PGA?

Now I just heard Leishman's story about his wife almost dying recently.... now, how can you not pull for him too?

pietasterp 07-20-2015 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daflyboys (Post 2047506496)
Heh...I like the "interwebs" term myself. Personally, I use "wide world webatorium".

That's a good one too. For whatever reason, I find it endlessly amusing to use clearly wrong terms that make it seem like you're totally out-of-step with modern technology. I have no idea why...but apparently I'm not the only one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daflyboys (Post 2047506496)
Going for Jason Day.... like his swing and like how he recovered from what looked like a horrible bout with vertigo at the US Open. And how can you not pull for the Irish amateur?

Agree - hard not to root for Day or the amateurs. Like I said, anyone on the board right now I can get behind. There isn't someone I really don't like on there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImTellinTim (Post 2047506498)
There's so few of us that we usually just post in the Golfer's Thread when there are majors going on. Or there's the Tiger bash fest thread too if you want to get some hatin' in.

Heh...I love that thread. I admit to gettin' my hate on once in a while, when I'm feeling less-than-charitable. I was frankly just surprised there were other people that sorta always hated on Tiger like myself...I swear I thought I was the only one. Although now that he's struggling so badly and so lost, it's not fun any more. And some of it was just a response to the way the media slobbered all over him, and of course now that they've totally turned on him I'm starting to find myself pulling for him a bit more these days. Who knows, but this idea that golf can't survive without Tiger is proving to be nonsense. There's no one guy that's all that important to the game - I mean, I forgot Rory wasn't even playing in this Open until one of the announcers mentioned it yesterday. Game's in good shape.

Quote:

Anyway, since I have weekend tickets for the PGA - go Spieth!

He's charging...kid's got ice in his veins. Nothing not to like about him.

Quote:

Dustin Johnson has had one of the most incredible collapses. He should be destroying this course the way he hits the ball considering the conditions. He has the length to be putting for eagle on something like 7 holes. Yet he's +3 today...

I don't get DJ at all...is it just that he's not a good putter? I mean, the course is essentially a big open field where you can spray the ball anywhere and still be in play. Even the rough has been trimmed down to nothing (by Open standards). I recall the good ol' days of waist-high weeds and guys looking like they're harvesting wheat with a sickle trying to hack out of the crap if they missed too badly one way or the other. I'm not a fan of these low scores in major championships, but I'm not ardently opposed either. Personally, I like 2-3 tournaments a year - preferably the majors - to be contested around the even par mark. It just seems like it separates the truly mentally tough from the front-runners. But that's probably just BS, and I'll freely admit it; in the end, I just like seeing these guys hack-and-slash like weekend golfers at least a few times per year. It's compelling.

ImTellinTim 07-20-2015 12:01 PM

Spieth is the anti-DJ. Double bogies 8 and comes back with 2 birdies.

DJ needs to work with a sports psychologist. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that sand thing a couple years back. But every other time he's been ready to grab success in a major, he has failed in spectacular fashion.

fistofrage 07-20-2015 12:15 PM

I'm not sure why they cut the roughs down so much. That used to be a death wish getting in there, now its a minor inconvenience. Because the rough is cut down so much the fairway bunkers aren't even really in play anymore because they can just aim around them and catch the rough instead with a miss.

It's really just a putting contest the last few days. Don't get me wrong, it still takes a ton of skill to put the approach shots where they need to be, but Driving on this course is virtually childs play for these pros. So the course isn't testing their entire game, just approaches and putting. A major should challenge every facet of the game.