Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Coaching Dynasties (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   One more last one: The Cleveland Browns (/forums/showthread.php?t=853208)

Aurabolt127 09-02-2015 02:00 AM

One more last one: The Cleveland Browns

So, I'm back with a new franchise. While my other ones are going ok, I wanted to keep one going on here to help keep the board alive. I didn't want to start another one without a new theme for it though - it'd be terribly boring to have the same team, the same drafted players, the same everything --- so --- here goes:

I was looking through old stories and stuff and came across this article from back when Charlie Weis was Head Coach at Notre Dame and it's pretty touching so - I decided to bring Charlie to the NFL to coach at Cleveland with his former QB... You can find the article on ESPN, but I'm not so great at posting links, so I copy pasted the article below...

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Charlie Weis doesn't usually let anyone
else call plays on offense. He made an exception for 10-year-old
Montana Mazurkiewicz.
The Notre Dame coach met last week with Montana, who had been
told by doctors weeks earlier that there was nothing more they
could do to stop the spread of his inoperable brain tumor.
"He was a big Notre Dame fan in general, but football
especially," said his mother, Cathy Mazurkiewicz.
Weis showed up at the Mazurkiewicz home in Mishawaka, just east
of South Bend, and talked with Montana about his tumor and about
Weis' 10-year-old daughter, Hannah, who has global development
delay, a rare disorder similar to autism.
He told Montana about some pranks he played on Joe Montana --
whom Montana was named after. Weis and
former Irish running back Terry Eurick shared a suite, where
Montana would visit.
"I gave him a chance to hammer me on the Michigan State loss,
which he did very well. He reminded me of my son," said Weis,
whose son, Charlie Jr., is 12 years old.
Weis said the meeting was touching.
"He told me about his love for Notre Dame football and how he
just wanted to make it through this game this week," Weis said.
"He just wanted to be able to live through this game because he
knew he wasn't going to live very much longer."
As Weis talked to the boy, Cathy Mazurkiewicz rubbed her son's
shoulder trying to ease his pain. Weis said he could tell the boy
was trying not to show he was in pain.
His mother told Montana, who had just become paralyzed from the
waist down a day earlier because of the tumor, to toss her a
football Weis had given him. Montana tried to throw the football,
put could barely lift it. So Weis climbed into the reclining chair
with him and helped him complete the pass to his mother.
Before leaving, Weis signed the football.
"He wrote, 'Live for today for tomorrow is always another
day,"' Mazurkiewicz said.
"He told him: 'You can't worry about tomorrow. Just live today
for everything it has and everything you can appreciate,'" she
said. "He said: 'If you're (in pain) today you might not
necessarily be in pain tomorrow, or it might be worse. But there's
always another day.'"
Weis asked Montana if there was something he could do for him.
He agreed to let Montana call the first play against Washington on
Saturday. He called "pass right."
Montana never got to see the play. He died Friday at his home.
Weis heard about the death and called Mazurkiewicz on Friday
night to assure her he would still call Montana's play.
"He said, 'This game is for Montana, and the play still
stands,'" she said.
Weis said he told the team about the visit. He said it wasn't a
"Win one for the Gipper" speech, because he doesn't believe in
using individuals as inspiration. He just wanted the team to know
people like Montana are out there.
"That they represent a lot of people that they don't even
realize they're representing," Weis said.
When the Irish started on their own 1-yard-line following a
fumble recovery, Mazurkiewicz wasn't sure Notre Dame would be able
to throw a pass. Weis was concerned about that, too. So was
quarterback Brady Quinn.
"He said 'What are we going to do?'" Weis said. "I said 'We have
no choice. We're throwing it to the right.'"
Weis called a play where most of the Irish went left, Quinn ran
right and looked for tight end Anthony Fasano on the right.
Mazurkiewicz watched with her family.
"I just closed my eyes. I thought, 'There's no way he's going
to be able to make that pass. Not from where they're at. He's going
to get sacked and Washington's going to get two points,'" she
said.
Fasano caught the pass and leapt over a defender for a 13-yard
gain.
"It's almost like Montana was willing him to beat that defender
and take it to the house," Weis said.
Mazurkiewicz was happy.
"It was an amazing play. Montana would have been very pleased.
I was very pleased," she said. "I was just so overwhelmed. I
couldn't watch much more."
Weis called her again after the game, a 36-17 victory by the
13th-ranked Fighting Irish, and said he had a game ball signed by
the team that he wanted to bring to the family on Sunday.
"He's a very neat man. Very compassionate," she said. "I just
thanked him for using that play, no matter the circumstances."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2172623
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, there's that.

Aurabolt127 09-02-2015 02:17 AM

Re: One more last one: The Cleveland Browns

1 Attachment(s)

The Cleveland Browns - 2007 recap and 2008 preview

The 2007 Cleveland Browns season was one full of hope and promise. Head Coach Romeo Crennel had struck gold with waiver wire pickup Derek Anderson, who led the team to a 10-6 record and earned himself a Pro Bowl nod. The team narrowly missed out on the playoffs; but there was great optimism the team had turned the corner after a disastrous 4-12 2006.

The Browns traded back into the first round of the 2007 draft to select Brady Quinn, expected to be the heir to the throne left vacant by great Browns quarterbacks of yore. No one had any idea Anderson would have a monster season the way he did. There was some behind the scenes tension as the brass still pictured Quinn as the future, despite Anderson's great season. Coach Crennel was hesitant to replace a Pro Bowl quarterback just when things were turning around.

Coach Crennel, 60, soon called a press conference and announced he was stepping down as Head Coach and was moving to more of a front office position. He wasn't firing GM Bill Savant, but was going to work with him as he took care of his health and fulfilled the length of his contract extension. He re-affirmed he was leaving the on the field decisions to the new coach and GM, aside from being a sounding board and offering his opinion when asked. As to the new Head Coach, a no brainer to Coach Crennel, his old partner from their glory days at New England, Charlie Weis.

Charlie Weis, 51, was the Head Coach at Notre Dame; and it didn't seem like the Irish were going to be too happy letting him go, however the Irish has a rough 2007 and there were some grumblings from backers and alumni that maybe Weis was a little too interested in returning to the Pro's; and that a mutual split would be in everyone's best interests. So, on February 1st, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish released Charlie Weis from his contract; and received a "buyout" from Cleveland Browns owner Sandy Burner of an undisclosed sum.

Coach Weis had his work cut out for him no doubt. His first task was to decide if the team was really as good as it's 10-6 record, or was it closer to it's previous 4-12 record. He also had to figure out the quarterback situation: having loyalty to your old college QB is admirable, but the NFL is a business; and can you really afford to bench or trade a young, Pro Bowl quarterback?

{Charlie Weis - 14 - Optimist. Chem3,PC4,Strat3,Perf3. All 5 offensive positions got to level 2 on intangible and play learning. No special skills. All to kind of lean on his history as an offensive coordinator.}

Aurabolt127 09-02-2015 02:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 105638

The 2007 NFL Draft in review:

1-3 Joe Thomas - LT. Grade: A Joe is already one of the top Left Tackles in the business and will only get better. This draft pick was a grand slam.

1-22 Brady Quinn - QB. Grade: B Brady is supposed to be the future of the franchise and has all the tools; however, since the emergence of Derek Anderson, his outlook is unclear. At the time, it was a definite need pick, and a good one; but he wasn't needed in 2007, and now he might not even be on the roster in 2008.

2-53 Eric Wright - CB. Grade A- Eric is a starting caliber corner, and it's his show now as the #1 guy. He only managed a sack and a pick all year, so he needs to step up now, he'll be facing the top receivers every week now.

5-140 Brandon McDonald - CB. Grade C - Brandon didn't get much game action as the dimeback, but still had 2 interceptions. He's currently the #2 now, but raw.

6-200 Melila Purcell - DE - Grade F - Melila never played a snap for the Browns, in fact, he never signed his offer sheet and retired before even signing a contract. His heart wasn't in it apparently.

7-213 Chase Pittman - DE/LB - Grade F - Chase was kind of a tweener than couldn't make it through training camp. This is what happens when you draft a guy thinking you can make him fit your system instead of the other way around.

7-234 Syndric Steptoe - WR - Grade F - Syndric was small receiver expected to make his mark in the return game; however he spent 2007 on the practice squad and was later waived.

So, in retrospect, the 2007 draft was actually pretty good for the Browns depending on the fate of Brady Quinn. It could be a B+ draft, but will drop to a C- if Quinn leaves and McDonald fails to at least be a good nickel back.

As for the 2008 draft? It's all up in the air. The Quinn/Anderson saga needs to get resolved before the draft and then you would think the focus would be on defense. Free Agency, however, is just about to kick off. The Browns only have $25.92 million to spend though. It would appear quarterback Ken Dorsey and either Quinn or Anderson will be moved; but aside from that, it could be a pretty quiet Free Agency period for the Browns.

Aurabolt127 09-02-2015 03:22 AM

Free Agency Moves:

Ken Dorsey to the Dolphins for their 2008 7th round pick (193)

2009 6th round pick to the Cowboys for Anthony Fasano, TE.
(this was done to help get a familiar face for Quinn to help him out, as well as get another player who knows how Weis runs his teams for other players to learn from.)

C LeCharles Bentley to the Ravens for RG Chris Chester (25yo, 76ovr)
(we had 3 quality centers, all affordable; we decided to move on from Bentley as we thought he'd give us the best value. Chester is a pretty solid guard who was buried in the depth chart. Since Baltimore has a new coach in 08 too, they have no loyalty to him. He'll get a chance to compete to start here at least.)

LOLB Willie McGinest to the Jaguars for LT Richard Collier (24y, 66ovr)
(Willie is 35 years old and he knows his time is up - he gets a chance to go, and probably start for a playoff team. We get a young, mammoth 6'7" 358lbs, tackle. He's raw, and a project - but we're still building this team and a young guy with promise is worth more than a veteran on his last legs at this point.)

And - that's it. The decision on Quinn and Anderson will drag into the draft. We need to address our skill positions a bit, specifically finding a weapon to go opposite Braylon Edwards. We have Travis Wilson, but this is his prove-it year. If he can't seize the opportunity, he may end up the 4th or 5th receiver, or cut.

I'd also like to find a powerful back to spell Jamal Lewis. The current reserves are more speedy, receiving backs. While there's value in having a 3rd down scatback, I really hope to find (via the draft or training camp FA) a legit backup to Lewis.

Defensively we still need an edge rusher at OLB, as well as more depth for the Dline. The 3-4 is tough to man, as so many teams, esp in college, have a hard time producing stud 3-4 defensive ends. A couple more corners are mandatory as well, just in case McDonald isn't ready to start opposite Wright just yet.

(Also, we cut TE Darnell Dinkins, TE Steve Heiden, FS Mike Adams, FS Mike Cargile, LOLB David McMillan, C Marvin Phillp and MLB Kris Griffin.)

DRAFT TIME!!!

Mike3207 09-02-2015 10:12 AM

I have tried Quinn as starter, but will admit I didn't have a lot of success with him in that role. He will scramble occasionally, and can be pretty good at that.

I've had Optimist personality as a HC, but it doesn't seem to relate to certain personality types as well as Commander. You should do ok as long as you stick with the unselfish types like Ally and Optimist.

EDIT-The reason Quinn struggled was likely he was starting with a new playbook. He might do better with the Cleveland default playbook.

Aurabolt127 09-02-2015 02:43 PM

I just went with optimistic because it sounds like him - not worried about any in game effects - after all these years of playing, it's more about story to me. It's too easy to play it like a game and max it all out, get all the same sleepers, use the same playbook every time, etc. and dominate. As for Quinn, we'll see what happens - he's got a ton of potential and I've won with far less talented QBs/ He's only going into his second year, it'll take time to develop him to get him near his potential. (I actually used Quinn years ago on a Bears franchise and won the Super Bowl in year 1, I'd have to dig up my old notebooks to see how he did; but I think it was pretty solid overall - better than Grossman could have, for sure!) Also, during the preseason I changed out about 10 plays right off the bat and will probably add/drop another 10 throughout the season to kind of represent a more realistic, fluid playbook so he'll have plenty to learn. You have to figure the playbook will change with a new HC, esp one who was a successful OC previously. By the end of year two it'll be pretty set, with only a few plays changing. I've got the draft done and preseason and will post it up later on. Wish I could play 06 again too (need a new xbox controller) - I never get tired of Head Coach...

Aurabolt127 09-02-2015 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 105688

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" /><link href="http://dynasties.operationsports.com/css/osdyn.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"></head><body><table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" class="osdyn" width="575"><tr class="masthead_alt"><td bgcolor="#0F5B1A" colspan="6"><span style="color:#FFFFFF">The 2008 NFL Draft</span></td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="10%">Pick</td><td width="33%">Team</td><td width="33%">Player</td><td align="center" width="8%">Pos</td><td align="center" width="8%">Ht</td><td align="center" width="8%">Wt</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>1</td><td>Miami</td><td>Jake Long</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>2</td><td>St. Louis</td><td>Chris Long</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>3</td><td>Atlanta</td><td>Darren McFadden</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>4</td><td>Oakland</td><td>Glen Dorsey</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>5</td><td>Kansas City</td><td>Matt Ryan</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>6</td><td>New York Jets</td><td>Vernon Gholston</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>7</td><td>Tampa Bay</td><td>Sedrick Ellis</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>8</td><td>Baltimore</td><td>Leodis McKelvin</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>9</td><td>Cincinnati</td><td>Jerod Mayo</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>10</td><td>Denver</td><td>Keith Rivers</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>11</td><td>Buffalo</td><td>Gosder Cherilus</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>12</td><td>New Orleans</td><td>Derrick Harvey</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>13</td><td>New York Giants</td><td>Brandon Albert</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>14</td><td>Cleveland</td><td>Dominique Cromartie</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>15</td><td>Dallas</td><td>Rashad Mendenhall</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>16</td><td>Arizona</td><td>Aqib Talib</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>17</td><td>Kansas City #2</td><td>Mike Jenkins</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>18</td><td>Houston</td><td>Ryan Clady</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>19</td><td>Baltimore #2</td><td>Chris Johnson</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>20</td><td>Tampa Bay</td><td>Dustin Keller</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>21</td><td>Baltimore #3</td><td>Joe Flacco</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>22</td><td>Detroit</td><td>Jeff Otah</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>23</td><td>Buffalo #2</td><td>Antoine Cason</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>24</td><td>Tennessee</td><td>John Carlson</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>25</td><td>Seattle</td><td>Chris Williams</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>26</td><td>Jacksonville</td><td>Kentwan Balmer</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>27</td><td>San Diego</td><td>Duane Brown</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>28</td><td>Dallas #2</td><td>Phillip Merling</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>29</td><td>San Francisco</td><td>Lawrence Jackson</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>30</td><td>St. Louis #2</td><td>Kenny Phillips</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>31</td><td>New York Giants #2</td><td>Felix Jones</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>32</td><td>Miami</td><td>Devin Thomas</td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td><td align="center"></td></tr></table></body></html>

Kind of an interesting draft. A few things that stuck out:
  • Tampa Bay made the first big move, flying all the way up the board to get Sedrick Ellis at #7 overall.
  • The Super Bowl Champion New York Giants traded into the first round to grab G Brandon Albert. They also had their original pick, #31, that they used to grab running back Felix Jones. Curious choices for both, but obviously the Champs have a plan.
  • Baltimore made a lot of moves and ended up with 3 first round picks. They selected Leodis McKelvin, Chris Johnson, and Joe Flacco.
  • There were 8 teams with 2 first round picks - and Baltimore had 3!
  • Biggest surpise: Dallas taking Phillip Merling with the 28th pick. Most people had a mid-second round grade on him.

Aurabolt127 09-03-2015 12:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 105689

The 2008 Cleveland Browns Draft

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"><link href="http://dynasties.operationsports.com/css/osdyn.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"><table class="osdyn" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="575"><tbody><tr class="masthead_alt"><td colspan="6" bgcolor="#754505">2008 Cleveland Browns Draft</td></tr><tr class="stathead"><td width="10%">Pick</td><td width="33%">Team</td><td width="33%">Player</td><td align="center" width="8%">Pos</td><td align="center" width="8%">Ht</td><td align="center" width="8%">Wt</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>1-14</td><td>Dominique Cromartie</td><td>Tennessee State</td><td align="center">CB</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>3-66</td><td>Kendall Langford</td><td>Hampton</td><td align="center">DE</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>4-127</td><td>Peyton Hillis</td><td>Arkansas</td><td align="center">FB</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>6-184</td><td>Adrian Arrington</td><td>Michigan</td><td align="center">WR</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>6-189</td><td>Ahtyba Rubin</td><td>Iowa State</td><td align="center">DT</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>U</td><td>Kelin Johnson</td><td>Georgia</td><td align="center">SS</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>U</td><td>Adam Kraus</td><td>Michigan</td><td align="center">G</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>U</td><td>Jonathan Hefney</td><td>Tennessee</td><td align="center">FS</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="evenrow"><td>U</td><td>Jeremy Leman</td><td>Illinois</td><td align="center">MLB</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr><tr class="oddrow"><td>U</td><td>Justin Forsett</td><td>California</td><td align="center">RB</td><td align="center">
</td><td align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Dominique Cromartie - DRC, as he's known to his friends, is a tall, super fast defensive back. While he played for an FCS school, he held his own against the big schools, winning Defensive Player of the Game for the South squad in the Senior Bowl. In addition, he was a 3 time conference player of the year and intercepted 11 passes. He also played receiver and returned kicks. This kid is going to bring a level of dynamic playmaking we haven't seen in Cleveland in years.

Kendall Langford - Kendall is a big guy from a small school (Hampton), just like DRC. He was a dominant 4 year player, making all-MEAC squads every year; and was also invited to the Senior Bowl. He has been playing end his whole collegiate career, and will fill that role with Cleveland as well.

Peyton Hillis - Peyton was the third back in the monster rushing attack of Arkansas last year. Both of the backs he blocked for, Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, were first round selections. Peyton is no slouch of a runner either, and we see a bit of Mike Alstott in him. As a senior, he averaged 5.6 YPC; and also caught 5 touchdowns, showing his versatility. We'll be giving Peyton his first opportunity to earn a roster spot as Jamal Lewis's backup.

Adrian Arrington - Adrian was the complement to Mario Manningham in Michigan; but had a really good career there. Coach Weis first noticed him when he scored a TD against Notre Dame in a 37-0 drubbing last season. He made the decision to draft him after watching Arrington catch 9 passes for 153 yards and 2 touchdowns in the Capital One Bowl vs Florida.

Athyba Rubin - Rubin had a solid career at Iowa State, showing power and relentless drive as a nose tackle, something we hope will translate to the NFL as he learns from Shaun Rogers. Rubin's power was well documented as he had the 3rd most reps at the bench press, behind only Jake Long and Vernon Gholston.

UNDRAFTED ROOKIES

Kelin Johnson -
Kelin was a 2 year starter at safety for the Bulldogs, and had 4 interceptions his senior year to help his team to a bowl game, a victory over Virginia Tech, where Kelin had 2 sacks and an interception. We have a solid pair of starting safeties, but the chance to bring a difference maker like Johnson was too good to pass up.

Adam Kraus - a 2 time all Big Ten selection, Adam started 35 of 39 games, the last 26 in a row (with 5 at center). Quarterback Chad Henne (drafted in this draft as well) said he was a standout lineman, as valuable to the team as was 1st overall pick Jake Long. We'll see if he can take the next step.

Jonathan Hefney - While his small size (5'9", 185) had his drop out of the draft, Jonathan was a 4 year starter at corner and safety for the Volunteers, only missing one game. He was a 2 time All-SEC player. He was also a prolific kick returner, specializing in punt returns. He'll hopefully fill a role as an extra corner, reserve safety and reserve kick returner. (as that job is safe with Josh Cribbs.)

Jeremy Leman - A solid linebacker from Illlinois, Jeremy was a 2007 All-American linebacker, and All-Big10 the last 2 years. He led the Big10 in tackles in 2006 with 152, and had 132 last season. It's rumored he went undrafted because he's not necessarily quick and doesn't cover well. Coach Weis went on record saying he is a consumate pro and well-school tackler. He'll be deep on the depth chart, but if he makes some plays on special teams and works at it, who knows where he'll end up.

Justin Forsett - It's rumored that Notre Dame and Texas pulled scholarship offers to Forsett because of his size (5'8"); but Cal took a chance on him and it paid off. Spending his first 3 years behind JJ Arrington and then Marshawn Lynch, Justin got a chance to start his senior year and rushed for 1546 yards and 15 touchdowns. He had 140 yards and 2 tds in a victory over Air Force in the Armed Forces Bowl. While it's true we're bringing in some power backs, a guy like Forsett will be invaluable when we need some speed and agility. He can play special teams too, and once blocked a kick for a TD against the Washington Huskies.

{a quick look at how we did:
  • The Cromartie pick got a 52 approval. Ouch. They wanted us to take Flacco. That would have been stupid since we traded Anderson and announced we were starting Quinn.)
  • The Langford pick was even more hated, a 34. This was who they wanted me to take too. It made all the sense in the world, but we got blasted anyway.
  • The Hillis pick was a home-run - a 92! I hope he works out!
  • The Arrington pick was a 45. They wanted Andre Woodson. Tough.
  • The Rubin pick was a 71. Again, they wanted Woodson, but we don't need him - we needed a stout defensive tackle badly.
So, overall they hated my draft - it sucks my lowest approval was the one pick the bosses told me to take and I did take him!) Still, we didn't have a lot of picks to work with, nor money to really go nuts. I think we got some solid building blocks, and no one except Cromartie should expected to start games this year, barring injury. However, I feel pretty confident that even as rookies these guys can help us.}