Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Attacking 3-4 vs base 3-4 (/forums/showthread.php?t=862969)

Kenjbrand 11-08-2015 11:28 PM

Attacking 3-4 vs base 3-4

So I wanted to fire everyone in the 49ers organization and bring back the glory of the 80s and 90s. I was going to choose a new west coast offense coach with 3-4 defense (since I like that philosophy)

If I have quick (70 speed) yet powerful (90 strength) DEs should I use base 3-4 or attacking 3-4?

RogueHominid 11-09-2015 10:08 AM

Re: Attacking 3-4 vs base 3-4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenjbrand (Post 2047825896)
So I wanted to fire everyone in the 49ers organization and bring back the glory of the 80s and 90s. I was going to choose a new west coast offense coach with 3-4 defense (since I like that philosophy)

If I have quick (70 speed) yet powerful (90 strength) DEs should I use base 3-4 or attacking 3-4?

The difference means little in Madden because you cannot accurately build a one-gap or a two-gap scheme. Madden doesn't have real, authentic gap assignments and gap control schemes.

So if you want a Fairbanks-Bullough 34 were you two-gap, you can't really assure that your players will attack the LOS in such a way that they attract double teams. You can do this for one player--the player you're controlling--by aligning him in the gap between two lineman, but you cannot reasonably assure that your non-controlled players will two-gap. And even when you manually align your player, there's not guarantee that you'll draw a double.

If you want a Phillips 34 where you one-gap, you'll get much closer to that in Madden. My experience by default is that all defenses in Madden are one-gap defenses, with the odd exception of the occasional double team inside.

What I try to do to work with what the game will allow is get 34 end types like Shaughnessy, who are low-70s speed, high 80s strength, and mid 80s block shed. Then I go for one run stopping OLB (LOLB) who has high-60s to low-70s ZCV and one pass rushing OLB (ROLB) who I can play standup in the regular looks or down in the predator look. This is the closes you can get to the Niners' Haley @ the elephant position and Keena Turner on the other side.