Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Job Security (/forums/showthread.php?t=871979)

MJDrocks 12-27-2015 02:53 PM

Job Security

Where do coaches typically have to be as far as Job Security to get fired? I am in Year 3 (2017) where I took Lane Kiffen to try to rejuvenate his career where I am having decent success at Syracuse. Went 9-4 with a bowl win and pulled in a solid recruiting class but I want to move up eventually and Jim Harbaugh is having a tough go of things at Michigan. He went 3-9 in '15, 5-7 in '16, and is 1-2 so far in '17 while sitting at 57 in Job Security. I would love to have the Michgan job so that's why I'm wondering if y'all think he'll get fired. Thanks.

StoneCalf 12-27-2015 03:10 PM

Re: Job Security

Good question. I too would like to hear you guys' experience on how your lack of performance led to getting fired. And, is there any consideration on how close you get to your target wins, or does is it more absolute? Example: will it take longer to get fired if you are only falling short of your target win by 1 game each season, compared to really tanking?

Cheese2121 12-27-2015 03:36 PM

Keeping in mind that these are just my experiences (ie I have not done any significant testing etc. etc) and that I am playing on NCAA '12......Coaches I have seen typically have to be below 50% to be concerned of getting fired and even that is far from absolute. Typically they have to have a pretty low security to get fired mid-contract. I feel like security can be a little higher and them not have their contract renewed. If that makes sense....

In terms of the goals I think it is all or nothing, but that might have changed in later iterations of the game.

Just my two cents...I am sure there are those who know far better than me!

KushNstien 12-27-2015 03:44 PM

I havent done any testing either, but usually say if your Target for the season is 8 wins. You should be able to stay another year only going 6-6 or 5-7 depending on teams you beat? Im sure beating ranked teams(maybe rivals) Will help you stay for another year.

whughes 12-27-2015 04:13 PM

I did a teambuilder dynasty where everyone was walk ons. Went 0-12 season one, 3-9 season 2, and 4-8 season 3. Week 1 of season 4 right now and my job security is 40%. My target wins each year was only 5 which I have yet to reach, but I haven't been fired yet.

On the flip side of that though, Steve spurrier got fired after a 9-4 season and his job security was right around 70% iirc

RyanXGrindle 12-28-2015 02:58 PM

I did a quick teambuilder dynasty just to see what would happen. I simmed the games and recruited. The lowest I have seen target wins go is 5 and that was my goal each year. I brought in a decent class because of my playing time being rated so well, and I also got somewhere around 10 transfers that were all good players. Would have liked to play with them, but go fired after year two. I believe I went 2-9 year one and 1-10 year two. So it seems you can get fired very quickly if your numbers are low enough. As for the Michigan job, it has been my experience that big name schools will get rid of people after 3 bad seasons, which it sounds like is about to happen in your case. It is not an exact science though, some schools will hold on to people long after they should. Perhaps the worst part of the process is when the job you want comes up, and they do not offer it to you. I was an OC with several national championships and Penn St. would not offer me anything because James Franklin got fired, and was on the market, and that is who they wanted.

SilverBullet19 12-29-2015 01:16 PM

It seems to really depend on the school.

In my team builder Dynasty the original head coach got fired after one 0-12 season. I was hired with a target of 5 wins. Got 4 in my first year and my job security was 100%.

I've also had dynasties where 6* schools held onto coaches for 3-4 losing seasons, and 3* schools let them go after just one.

Isura 12-29-2015 07:48 PM

I went 1-11 in my first year at Western Michigan and didn't get canned (target was 7 wins). It was year 1 of a 6 year contract and WMU is rebuilding so it's pretty realistic. Probably one more season like that and I'm gone though.