Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports NHL (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   Help out an NHL newbie. (/forums/showthread.php?t=872561)

Pappy Knuckles 01-06-2016 06:09 PM

Help out an NHL newbie.

This is a very good game, but these boys online are running all over me. Last game he outshot me 28-1 lol. I'm going to need a little help here.

1. I'm hardly winning any faceoffs whatsoever. Any tips would be helpful.

2. Guys seems to have great precision when moving their skaters around, but me not so much. Is it a matter of their HUT team being better than mine or am I missing something here?

3. On defense should I keep following the puck around or stick to a guy?

These are my main questions, but any help that you guys can give me would be very useful. I don't watch the sport, so I know nothing about the strategy involved in this game.

*edit*

Sorry, didn't see the sticky thread above. If this gets deleted, I'll post again in there.

RnRexpress3423 01-06-2016 09:06 PM

Re: Help out an NHL newbie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles (Post 2047938895)
This is a very good game, but these boys online are running all over me. Last game he outshot me 28-1 lol. I'm going to need a little help here.

2. Guys seems to have great precision when moving their skaters around, but me not so much. Is it a matter of their HUT team being better than mine or am I missing something here?

These are my main questions, but any help that you guys can give me would be very useful. I don't watch the sport, so I know nothing about the strategy involved in this game.

*edit*

Sorry, didn't see the sticky thread above. If this gets deleted, I'll post again in there.

Hey I'm not that good either lol and I just started to really dive in. If you want to play a couple games online, I'm down. Assuming your on PS4, Clutch-man24. Add me

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

muelly54 01-07-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnRexpress3423 (Post 2047939234)
Hey I'm not that good either lol and I just started to really dive in. If you want to play a couple games online, I'm down. Assuming your on PS4, Clutch-man24. Add me

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. I suck at face offs I almost never win any. I really wish I could learn how to slip it past the goalie too. Most my goals feel like luck more than anything. I'm not really a hockey fan just like the nhl series. Got both this years and last years on the xmas sales. 16 is by far better.

woodjer 01-08-2016 02:50 PM

I play solely offline but I'm in the same boat as you and will also add that I can't get a decent hit to save my life. I've seen maybe 3 good, solid hits from me but the CPU seems to be able to lay me out the second I get more than a few feet past the blue line, almost every time.

I've worked out some sliders that I'm really liking and having great competitive games with. In fact, 2 of my last 3 games went to a shootout and the biggest margin of victory has been 2 goals. I'd like to eventually get to a point where I understand some of the finer controls and the strategy in general so I can play more like I see IRL. I can cycle the puck a little bit but not nearly as much as I'd like.

Like muelly, I'm not really a HUGE hockey fan (although I can get into playoff hockey quite a bit some years) but I'm having a blast with the game.

A couple tips that I've found recently:
- When I come into the zone against a physical team, if I hold L2 a bit, I seem to brace for a hit and don't get laid out as much.
- Holding down the X/A button protects the puck a bit.
- I've found that learning to poke check effectively does wonders for my defense. I also sell out to block shots a LOT. Probably not great strategy but it seems effective for now.

Pappy Knuckles 01-08-2016 05:13 PM

I'm still getting outshot a lot, but my games are getting more competitive. Dropping this one hurt. It's all good though since we won the fights lol.

https://youtu.be/9ggZmYMCxOo

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

Pappy Knuckles 01-08-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles (Post 2047942354)
I'm still getting outshot a lot, but my games are getting more competitive. Dropping this one hurt. It's all good though since we won the fights lol.

https://youtu.be/9ggZmYMCxOo

I'm completely whiffing on so many slapshots. Can someone please explain to me what I'm doing wrong?

Just won my first legit online game 2-0. Moving up in the world. [emoji41]

jack72 01-09-2016 10:42 AM

The best thing to do is go to the sliders page and pick someones slider suggestion and tailor them to you liking.

It's a pain to do, but I finally got mine close to the way I like, (still changing values but not as many swings in numbers).

- I am getting about 30 - 35 shots per game both sides.
- Scoring is around 3- 4 goals with a few blow out games and just played a 0-1 game ending in overtime. (I lost).
- Checking is close.

The only thing unbalanced is the penalties where I receive more than the opposition in most games. But I am getting more PP then previous though.

DJ 01-09-2016 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles (Post 2047938895)

*edit*

Don't chase the puck. You'll pull more players out of position doing that; stick with one guy and play positional defense.

For face-offs, mix up your strategy. If you're going dominant-hand down each time, your opponent (HUM or ĮPU) will pick up on that.

For skating, it's likely due to your inexperience with the game. Once you get a feel for the skating physics, you'll have a better understanding of how guys move, accelerate, decelerate.

Glad you're enjoying the game!