Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   The community is caught up between people who want gameplay vs aesthetic improvement (/forums/showthread.php?t=875353)

takki 02-26-2016 09:14 PM

The community is caught up between people who want gameplay vs aesthetic improvement

Can we talk about how we have a giant portion of the community that is seemingly more concerned about the length of socks, the perfect shade of green grass in a specific stadium and the pixel count on a mountain in the background...

over gameplay improvement? Go into any improvement suggestion topic and at least 33% of the posts will be "I'm not going to buy this game unless they correct the stitching on the back of the jersey of my favorite team".

I wish we could get on the same page of "I'll sacrifice complaining in threads about whether someone's beard is correct in game so that we can come together to promote actual gameplay improvements like the implementation of weather, ball-park creator, etc."

WaitTilNextYear 02-26-2016 09:21 PM

Re: The community is caught up between people who want gameplay vs aesthetic improvem

We've had this conversation ad nauseum and the reality is that everyone wants everything to be perfect, but since most people realize that's not possible, different people prioritize different things and that's ok. I don't really agree that there's this great divide between different camps of people. I think everyone wants better and more everything, but different people have different priorities and different levels of detail they notice. I think it's inaccurate to reduce the "visual people" to not caring at all about gameplay and vice versa. It's actually better this way because the devs get feedback on a multitude of things, even some things they probably hadn't considered themselves.

SmashMan 02-26-2016 09:23 PM

Re: The community is caught up between people who want gameplay vs aesthetic improvem

What does it say about the strength of your argument if you need to knock on other aspects to make it seem more important? :y11:

(There are different departments that focus on different aspects of the game. These guys are professionals, they can prioritize things well.)

dran1984 02-26-2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takki (Post 2048030545)
Can we talk about how we have a giant portion of the community that is seemingly more concerned about the length of socks, the perfect shade of green grass in a specific stadium and the pixel count on a mountain in the background...

over gameplay improvement? Go into any improvement suggestion topic and at least 33% of the posts will be "I'm not going to buy this game unless they correct the stitching on the back of the jersey of my favorite team".

I wish we could get on the same page of "I'll sacrifice complaining in threads about whether someone's beard is correct in game so that we can come together to promote actual gameplay improvements like the implementation of weather, ball-park creator, etc."

Seriously?? Two things you listed under game play - the implementation of weather and ball-park creator - have nothing to do with game play. If you noticed the devs can walk and chew gum at the same time. They have made significant improvements in every area of the game. Gameplay and and graphics have both been majorly improved. I also find it funny that you want to control everyone's opinion on what should be included. At this point the game is basically done anyway.

nomo17k 02-26-2016 09:27 PM

I used to think that way right when I joined this forum long time ago, but the gameplay crowd (to which I tend to belong more) is not really losing anything even when so many more people appear to be more concerned about so-called aesthetic issues.

I think developer resources between the two aspects are not necessarily shared (e.g., graphic designers would not do game A.I. programming), so it is not one or the other type of situation.

And quite frankly, I continue to be impressed by how SDS incorporates so many of gameplay-related user feedback every year. Few products are created this way these days.

Ghost Of The Year 02-26-2016 09:32 PM

Can't we have our cake & eat it, too?

kehlis 02-26-2016 10:03 PM

All your doing is ignoring the posters that are pointing out the gameplay improvements they want to see and honing in on the posts aimed towards visual specifics.

I'm on your side (gameplay) but there are plenty of posts on both sides of the spectrum and you're being pretty short-sided with this.

It also always comes back to why should your wants be more important than someone else's wants?

My first inclination was actually to close this because as previously mentioned, separate teams work independently on these functions of the game so you're entire premise is flawed but if you feel there is a need to have a discussion I'm willing to have it go on as long as people post appropriately.

Factzzz 02-26-2016 10:22 PM

I guess i'm in the "aethestics" camp, but that's because i don't see much that needs to be improved gameplay wise.

Literally nothing bothers me about the gameplay, i'd say it's near perfect. The lack of doubles down the line to the wall is a little annoying, but other than that, i can't really think of anything i'd change about the gameplay.

More animations maybe?

What do people want to see improved gameplay wise? Serious question.