Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Help with hitting offspeed pitches (/forums/showthread.php?t=878321)

shegotgame 04-08-2016 11:11 AM

Help with hitting offspeed pitches

I'm not a baseball expert. I just enjoy playing the video game. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there a camera angle that is better for gauging speed? I'm tying my batter up in knots trying to swing at pitches that are not crossing the plate when I think they are.

Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HartmanTeets6 04-08-2016 11:14 AM

Re: Help with hitting offspeed pitches

My biggest advice, which is opposite to real baseball, is to sit on off speed and adjust if you see fastball. Also, try to get an idea of what the pitcher throws. Some pitchers throw half off speed stuff, and it makes it easier to let a fastball by for a strike.

chuckm1961 04-08-2016 11:19 AM

One, find a camera setup that makes the pitcher appear larger on the screen.

Two, train yourself to watch the pitch OUT OF THE PITCHER'S HAND very carefully.

Three, go to Sliders and turn down Fastball speed and turn up Offspeed Pitch speed ... thus sorta cheating and decreasing the speed differential between those pitches.

Four, figure out what offspeed pitches hurt you worst and strategize to deal with it. For example, I'm a sucker for low curves and changes so I have my camera set up to prioritize reading low pitches.

jada855 04-08-2016 11:31 AM

* Try the MLB 15 Camera

* Patience is what it's all about I play on HOF and I'm okay with striking out because that's what happens in real life not everyone can hit a 97mph fast ball. HOF feels very realistic in that manner.

* Adjust the timing slider to the right this might help.

* Adjust the pitch speed slider to the left will help you see the pitch better.

* Learn to look for the pitch break

* Adjust the difficulty or use dynamic difficulty

* I usually leave the sliders at default I believe in the out of the box experience.

My average with my created player is usually between 2.80 and 3.10 but I also played in real life. So I enjoy the HOF challenge.

Good Luck

StevenSD 04-08-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HartmanTeets6 (Post 2048104609)
My biggest advice, which is opposite to real baseball, is to sit on off speed and adjust if you see fastball. Also, try to get an idea of what the pitcher throws. Some pitchers throw half off speed stuff, and it makes it easier to let a fastball by for a strike.

This is actually pretty sound advice that I've found work really well for me.

Cito2009 04-08-2016 08:39 PM

Try using Retro camera. Zoom in some so that the top of the pitchers head (avg. Size guy) is centered and the strike zone is across the hat or top of the head. The picther is closer or bigger looking and it helps to read pitches coming out of his hand. I use zone hitting btw, on All-star and rtts for the most part.

NYJin2011tm 04-08-2016 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HartmanTeets6 (Post 2048104609)

Funny you say this because I have actually heard real MLB players say this is their exact strategy with 2 strikes. I can't remember who said it though. It sounds backwards but...

shegotgame 04-09-2016 11:05 AM

Thank you everyone. I should have mentioned that this is for human vs human so I'm trying to leave the sliders as is. I hope your suggestions help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk