Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=502)
-   -   Plays in myteam. Do you run them. Do they matter. How do you do it? (/forums/showthread.php?t=898164)

Erithtotl 12-03-2016 09:07 AM

Plays in myteam. Do you run them. Do they matter. How do you do it?

I would like to be someone who uses plays and playbooks in myteam. There seem to be so many barriers to doing this well:

1) There's no easy way to practice, other than playing old domination games.
2) Many plays take FOREVER to initiate, meaning that if the first option doesn't work, you are often down to a few ticks on the shot clock.
3) The ease of stealing means that if you take your eyes off your PG for a second while you are navigating the play menu, an aggressive opponent will have a good chance to picking your pocket.

So I mostly run pick n rolls and post ups from the quick play menu. This works. But not always. I'm only in the gold league.

So at a point, does it become essential that you run plays? What have people done to get good at it? Or do people use the freelance offenses? And again, what do you do to get good at it?

KyrieAbuser 12-03-2016 09:09 AM

Re: Plays in myteam. Do you run them. Do they matter. How do you do it?

Why run plays when pick and roll works the best in the game lol.

Foldzy 12-03-2016 09:50 AM

I just run simple plays, ISO, Post Up, PNR, get open... you really need to know your playbook if you wanna call real plays or else you'll get stripped and since there is no way to practice them in myteam I don't know them well enough

Scramz718 12-03-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithtotl (Post 2048603267)
I would like to be someone who uses plays and playbooks in myteam. There seem to be so many barriers to doing this well:

2) Many plays take FOREVER to initiate, meaning that if the first option doesn't work, you are often down to a few ticks on the shot clock.

3) The ease of stealing means that if you take your eyes off your PG for a second while you are navigating the play menu, an aggressive opponent will have a good chance to picking your pocket.

So I mostly run pick n rolls and post ups from the quick play menu. This works. But not always. I'm only in the gold league.

So at a point, does it become essential that you run plays? What have people done to get good at it? Or do people use the freelance offenses? And again, what do you do to get good at it?

I run plays and have been for a long time. They're not necessary all the time but when you need a bucket its nice to have a go to play. It'll take some time to get used to play but once you get it the game becomes easier.

This video should help
https://youtu.be/-tigmudQrHA

Also check these YouTube Channels out.

Da_Czar

the blackra1n21

Sam Pham

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyrieAbuser (Post 2048603269)
Why run plays when pick and roll works the best in the game lol.

Because they're are plays that involve PnRs and are way harder to defend than the basic PnR. There's a big deference between someone that masters a playbook vs someone that run PnR all game.

billiethetree 12-03-2016 10:58 AM

Another barrier to using plays in MTO is that half the time your playbook does not load when playing. I spent close to 2k to get the Mavs playbook because it's good and I'm already familiar with it, and half the time I just get a random playbook loaded instead of that one. It's frustrating.

Erithtotl 12-03-2016 11:09 AM

Thanks for the responses. A semi-related question. Is there a setting that will have my guys run to the corner and STAY THERE WHEN OPEN on breaks? Too often, I see a guy run to the corner, then decide to cut across the middle (Where there are defenders) right as I've hit the pass button, resulting in a steal as my player leads them and passes right into the back defender standing in front of the basket.

harryl 12-03-2016 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erithtotl (Post 2048603267)

1. You can Practice Plays and Scrimmage through main Options 2KU menu. To do it MyTeam accurately, you have to edit a roster to stock a team with your lineup and edit the players. And a lot of players in MT are not in the standard roster.

Scrimmage and Practice Plays not being in MT has been a very frustrating omission.

2. It's best to specifically identify and practice plays that develop the useful action(s) quickly. I don't think most people are mastering and using a ton of plays, but a handful.

3. Try to call plays as you bring ball up from backcourt, if not being pressed. Will also help have guys ready to go when your ballhandler gets into initiation position.

Offballer4life 12-03-2016 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billiethetree (Post 2048603345)
Another barrier to using plays in MTO is that half the time your playbook does not load when playing. I spent close to 2k to get the Mavs playbook because it's good and I'm already familiar with it, and half the time I just get a random playbook loaded instead of that one. It's frustrating.

Make sure you match the coach. I use Nets PB. Had same issue till I put Kenny Atkinson as my coach.