Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Defense Chalk Talk Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=903856)

jt2000 03-02-2017 11:18 PM

Defense Chalk Talk Thread

Lets talk defense!

I want to start a thread about playbook setups for defense! What plays look for? What kind of audibles do you set and formations do you build around?

I myself run the 34 mix in nickel, 46, and 44. I run what I like to call my own "speed" packages in the 44 as I take full advantage of formation subs. I also take time to find "hidden gems" that I can plug in as needed. As for plays I go with zone and mix in zone blitzes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StefJoeHalt 03-03-2017 12:13 AM

Defense Chalk Talk Thread

Alittle hint to all..if u want to run 43 under with a LEO always weak side and strong side linebacker always strong side..use 34 Predator (with Auto Flip on)..also if u have a 43 weak side DE who is better always on weak side (i.e. Quick but not strong, or has side to be strong side) in a base 43, use 34 Overed with auto flip on)..
What I do is assign my 3 tech DT to RE
1 tech nose to DT
Weak side DE to ROLB
And strong side DE to LE
Now with Overed u have to us the "Switch DE" to align the LE to strong side DE..but it works well..only issue is u lose some 0 blitzes/and some press cover 1's which are in the normal 43 books..

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

catcher_0_3 03-03-2017 08:57 AM

Re: Defense Chalk Talk Thread

A defense I don't think a lot of people see is the 4-2-5. No not nickel packages, I'm talking about a TCU style 425 alignment. Now it's not perfect, but if you go with a 46 Bear Under alignment, you can then personnel switch your outside backers to be corners (ideally they would be safeties). But then you have 4 CBs on the field but 8 men in the box. It gives more of an allusion that you are set to stop the run but you're actually in a great position for a pass. I like to use it on early downs to try to get people to check out of runs and then throw into the teeth of my defense.

GameBreaker35 03-03-2017 09:30 AM

Playing defense is what I enjoy most about about Madden. There is nothing more satisfying than dominating an offense in such a offensively slanted game. I don't get anything out of scoring touchdowns, but I get excited about big hits, fumbles, and interceptions.

In Madden 17, I have been successful with the 43 Under/Over. Personnel is the biggest factor with any style of defense that you play. I play with the Jaguars, and they come stocked with, what I think, is a first round Madden talent: OLB Telvin Smith. He has the speed to play with almost any default roster receiver, can play great zone defense, and is a great tackler. This important in Madden because of the prevalence of TE Corner and Post routes. I always flip the alignment to ensure that he is on the wide side, and Dante Fowler is on the short side - rushing or dropping into zone. The only wrinkle that I have added is 3-4 pass rusher as the weakside defensive end which gives the personnel a 34 feel out of a 43 alignment.

I play mostly zone, and because I play in an online league, my philosophy has focused on disrupting and distorting the easy reads players have ingrained into their play. I will run alot of Cover 3 out of a two saftey look or 1 saftey look. I also play Cover 4 with the SS just within the box to throw off their defensive alignment keys, and trick them into looking deep for single coverage. I will also use classical zone blitz concepts that replace a player's zone for a blitz and another player's blitz for the zone that was lost. It doesn't create additional pressure, but it creates the illusion of pressure which is even better.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

jt2000 03-03-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catcher_0_3 (Post 2048721807)
A defense I don't think a lot of people see is the 4-2-5. No not nickel packages, I'm talking about a TCU style 425 alignment. Now it's not perfect, but if you go with a 46 Bear Under alignment, you can then personnel switch your outside backers to be corners (ideally they would be safeties). But then you have 4 CBs on the field but 8 men in the box. It gives more of an allusion that you are set to stop the run but you're actually in a great position for a pass. I like to use it on early downs to try to get people to check out of runs and then throw into the teeth of my defense.

I will have to try that. I thought about that as I done the same thing on NCAA 14 as I have a custom pb with bear fronts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameBreaker35 (Post 2048721840)
Playing defense is what I enjoy most about about Madden. There is nothing more satisfying than dominating an offense in such a offensively slanted game. I don't get anything out of scoring touchdowns, but I get excited about big hits, fumbles, and interceptions.

In Madden 17, I have been successful with the 43 Under/Over. Personnel is the biggest factor with any style of defense that you play. I play with the Jaguars, and they come stocked with, what I think, is a first round Madden talent: OLB Telvin Smith. He has the speed to play with almost any default roster receiver, can play great zone defense, and is a great tackler. This important in Madden because of the prevalence of TE Corner and Post routes. I always flip the alignment to ensure that he is on the wide side, and Dante Fowler is on the short side - rushing or dropping into zone. The only wrinkle that I have added is 3-4 pass rusher as the weakside defensive end which gives the personnel a 34 feel out of a 43 alignment.

I play mostly zone, and because I play in an online league, my philosophy has focused on disrupting and distorting the easy reads players have ingrained into their play. I will run alot of Cover 3 out of a two saftey look or 1 saftey look. I also play Cover 4 with the SS just within the box to throw off their defensive alignment keys, and trick them into looking deep for single coverage. I will also use classical zone blitz concepts that replace a player's zone for a blitz and another player's blitz for the zone that was lost. It doesn't create additional pressure, but it creates the illusion of pressure which is even better.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

great ideas

4thQtrStre5S 03-04-2017 01:23 PM

I have been bouncing back and forth between 4-3 and 3-4...I really like the Nickel Normal as my base formation, but at the same time I feel more challenged by working with a 3-4 and fitting in workable personnel...

I am currently running a 3-4 base, and using CB's with high M2M coverage ratings as safeties and trying to go with a pure Cover 0 blitz defense..

My hypothesis is that going Cover 0 with M2M cover players at safety is the best way to get the full benefit from the ideology behind the real life 3-4 which is to have more blitz options in regards to where the blitz is coming from and making it less detectable by the offense, IRL...

And as most probably would agree, blitz options are rather limited in Madden, in regards to where the blitz is originating from unless you commit to Cover 0...It's EA's Rock, Paper, Scissor theory, and I am trying to introduce a Sledge Hammer into their system that beats all..

jt2000 03-05-2017 07:15 AM

After installing the 34 defense play call sheet from the Madden Guide. I went on a 6 game winning streak last night. I must say I am loving the 34 defense as it fun to run If you got the right players. I play as Pittsburgh and I must say its fun playing a chess match with all the ways you can switch it up in the nickle and 34 with them. I am also running the 46 and 52 with them. I have really caused havoc since really getting into this defense.

DSonTL 03-06-2017 05:06 PM

I'm really struggling to find a base this year.. in not knowledgeable enough about the 3-4... I would love to play a Tampa 2 but I struggle with that 2... I've been tampering with having a Cover 6 base but don't know if I want a 4 or 3 man front...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk