Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Madden Franchise Super Bowls (/forums/showthread.php?t=904422)

Toupal 03-11-2017 02:07 PM

Madden Franchise Super Bowls

I have played multiple franchises in this years madden that last over 4 years. Nothing really changes between the franchises I start besides the updated rosters and draft classes that I edit to reflect current draft classes.

One thing that I have noticed is the amount of 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 teams that make it to the Super Bowl.

I am not saying that it couldn't happen. However, it has happened almost every year.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, why do you think so many under-achieving regular season teams are playing in the super bowl.

JoshC1977 03-11-2017 03:05 PM

Re: Madden Franchise Super Bowls

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toupal (Post 2048733398)
I have played multiple franchises in this years madden that last over 4 years. Nothing really changes between the franchises I start besides the updated rosters and draft classes that I edit to reflect current draft classes.

One thing that I have noticed is the amount of 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 teams that make it to the Super Bowl.

I am not saying that it couldn't happen. However, it has happened almost every year.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, why do you think so many under-achieving regular season teams are playing in the super bowl.

I haven't gotten deep enough into a CFM to confirm the observation one way or another, but I have to wonder if this is as much about player/team differentiation. I did do one sim 10 years (without touching anything) and team overalls were very close to each other. With that much parity, those playoff games probably become a true exercise in "any given Sunday".

Toupal 03-11-2017 03:31 PM

That is a legitimate point. I did forget to mention that a lot of these teams were usually 84+ Overall. So they weren't turds by any means.

Some of the Super Bowls that I saved and can recall (Bold is the winner):
CFM 1 Started in August
SB 51: Raiders 10-6 vs Falcons 11-5
SB 52: Jaguars 8-7-1 vs Bears 12-4user
SB 53: Chiefs 11-5 vs Seahawks 15-1
SB 54: Browns 8-8 vs Seahawks 13-3
SB 55: Jets 9-7 vs Rams 9-7

CFM 2 Started in October (Simmed-a-win up to week 7 for real winners)
SB 51: Patriots 12-4 vs Falcons 12-4
SB 52: Patriots 11-5 vs Seahawks 14-2
SB 53: Texans 8-8 vs Seahawks 16-0
SB 54: Browns 7-9 vs Bears 13-3user
SB 55: Steelers 8-8 vs Bears 14-2user
SB 56: Chargers 10-5-1 vs Cowboys 7-9

CFM 3 Started after Super Bowl (Every game was simmed to win based on real life with the exception of the two ties this year)
SB 51: Patriots 14-2 vs Falcons 11-5
SB 52: Chiefs 8-8 vs Cowboys 10-6
SB 53: Raiders 10-6 vs Lions 9-7
SB 54: Jets 9-7 vs Seahawks 14-2

I am not saying that this can't happen, but it just seems flakey to me when that many teams with less than 10 wins are in the super bowl that often. And it is not like they are beating other turds. They are beating 12-4. 13-3. and 14-2 teams to make it to the Super Bowl

Last few Super Bowl Champions Records
Pats- 14-2
Broncos- 12-4
Pats 12-4
Seahawks 13-3
Giants 9-7
Packers 10-6
Saints 13-3
Steelers 12-4

Mattanite 03-11-2017 04:00 PM

Nice to see teams like the bears and browns turn it around though! Look at that 7-9 team in the superbowl!

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app

Toupal 03-11-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshC1977 (Post 2048733443)
I haven't gotten deep enough into a CFM to confirm the observation one way or another, but I have to wonder if this is as much about player/team differentiation. I did do one sim 10 years (without touching anything) and team overalls were very close to each other. With that much parity, those playoff games probably become a true exercise in "any given Sunday".

I did some looking at the whole league in general and this is what I found

I couldn't fit all of the 8-8 teams. However there were 12... that is over a third of the league with the same record. That is not to include theone 8-7-1 team, three 9-7, and the five 7-9 teams

There were a lot of divisions that looked like this. The NFC North was all 8-8 except for the 11-5 Lions.

EricFreakingBerry 03-13-2017 12:26 PM

Yeah, the simple amount of parity that Madden produces is going to consistently cause situations like this. I'm 20+ years in my online CFM now and see this routinely. There are a lot of times that a perennial loser in my franchise will go out and sign a 35+ year old 90+ QB, turn things around with him enough to go 11-5 or 12-4, but get completely run out of the playoffs by teams that are more consistent winning/playoff teams even if they are 8-8, 9-7, etc.

But I mean the fact of the matter is, the entire league becomes better and more "rounded" as more draft classes come in. The ratings are still not varied enough (you'll never see a "run blocking" offensive lineman come in with dreadful pass-blocking, for example - or a zone corner with just truly dreadful man coverage ability). This leads to just a jumbled mess of average, good, and great players who lead to a lot of teams looking extremely similar.

There are times I'll go check out a 3-13 team and think to myself "how in the hell?" I'll point out to the AI as if it understands me that they have a solid young QB, stout O-line, beastly defense and yet they still went off the rails somehow and end up with the 1st overall pick.

timhere1970 03-13-2017 01:08 PM

I have found that the sim engine just doesn't work in the playoffs. I am talking about simming through advancing the week. You can load the game as play the moments and sim To the end and it works. If your 16-0 simming through advance the week, you are going to lose the first game of the playoffs over 75% of the time.

Another thing you can do to undermine parity is turn off the salary cap. This will result in cpu teams keeping more of their drafted good players. Teams that draft better get better.

Toupal 03-13-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricFreakingBerry (Post 2048735496)
Yeah, the simple amount of parity that Madden produces is going to consistently cause situations like this. I'm 20+ years in my online CFM now and see this routinely. There are a lot of times that a perennial loser in my franchise will go out and sign a 35+ year old 90+ QB, turn things around with him enough to go 11-5 or 12-4, but get completely run out of the playoffs by teams that are more consistent winning/playoff teams even if they are 8-8, 9-7, etc.

But I mean the fact of the matter is, the entire league becomes better and more "rounded" as more draft classes come in. The ratings are still not varied enough (you'll never see a "run blocking" offensive lineman come in with dreadful pass-blocking, for example - or a zone corner with just truly dreadful man coverage ability). This leads to just a jumbled mess of average, good, and great players who lead to a lot of teams looking extremely similar.

There are times I'll go check out a 3-13 team and think to myself "how in the hell?" I'll point out to the AI as if it understands me that they have a solid young QB, stout O-line, beastly defense and yet they still went off the rails somehow and end up with the 1st overall pick.

That does remind me. Every team that has had the 1st overall pick have been pretty solid teams. The current CFM I am on now, teams that have had the 1st pick have been pretty good talent wise. Teams with the first pick and draft pick in my league have been:
Browns: Myles Garrett
Ravens: Drafted a QB, edited to Sam Darnold USC
Cardinals: Drafted a QB, edited to Jacob Eason Georgia
Cowboys: Drafted a WR, edited to Donovan Peoples-Jones
Colts: Haven't drafted yet

All of those teams have a team rating of 84+. And yet these are the kind of teams that are going 3-13. That Cowboys team had a healthy Dak, Dez, and Zeke.