Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MMA Forum (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Bas Rutten And Palm Strike (/forums/showthread.php?t=905342)

JayBee74 03-25-2017 07:54 PM

Bas Rutten And Palm Strike

First how is Bas Rutten looked upon by today's MMA fans considering he retired before the 2000's?

Secondly I saw a YouTube video of him fighting some Japanese guy where they didn't use closed fist strikes, but a lot of palm strikes (brutal ones by Bas). Is there a name for this type of MMA?

I liked the guy ever since I saw him in an episode of Lights Out where he fought the lead character (a former Heavyweight Champion boxer) in an impromptu steel cage match. He's a good friend of Kevin James and appears to have recurring role on the comedy actor's Kevin Can Wait CBS show.

Money99 03-25-2017 10:36 PM

Re: Bas Rutten And Palm Strike

I remember seeing that fight.
At the time the organization was described almost like a Japanese wrestling league of some kind. Or so I believe.
I'm not even sure if the rules but they seemed to be similar to the UFC's, with the exception of closed fist strikes.
I can't recall if submissions were allowed either?
All I know is, that large Japanese fighter could take a lot of punishment.

I also recall Bas having a good tilt with Frank Shamrock where the two were tied in a leg lock, sitting on the mat with Bas nailing Frank with one hand-heel strike after another while Frank stuck his tongue out at him, lol.

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

Dave_S 03-25-2017 10:40 PM

Pena has good open hand strikes.

jvalverde88 03-26-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayBee74 (Post 2048752151)
Secondly I saw a YouTube video of him fighting some Japanese guy where they didn't use closed fist strikes, but a lot of palm strikes (brutal ones by Bas). Is there a name for this type of MMA?

Pancrase was the promotion, it was the early stages of MMA. It began around the same time as UFC. It was kind of a hybrid of pro wrestling and MMA, some of the fights were real while others were worked/predetermined.

allBthere 04-03-2017 10:27 PM

I think Sambo is like that. It's MMA w/o closed fists and some other rules I can't remember - it's russian style mma old-school

Fedor was multiple national Sambo champion etc.