Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Anybody prefer MLB The Show 16 over 17 (/forums/showthread.php?t=909051)

laronaickwar 05-14-2017 11:14 PM

Anybody prefer MLB The Show 16 over 17

Strictly franchise mode speaking. I'm just curious if anybody has an valid argument or just genuinely prefers to still play 2016 instead of 2017.

squashbuggie 05-14-2017 11:42 PM

why do you say this ?

JayD 05-14-2017 11:51 PM

Re: Anybody prefer MLB The Show 16 over 17

Nope. Not even close.

Hugh Jars 05-15-2017 02:20 AM

Quick manage alone makes 17 a hundred times better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

countryboy 05-15-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laronaickwar (Post 2048835446)
Strictly franchise mode speaking. I'm just curious if anybody has an valid argument or just genuinely prefers to still play 2016 instead of 2017.

I prefer 16 to 17 personally. Gameplay reasons are the biggest but to answer your question strictly in terms of franchise, I prefer the old budget style in '16, and previous years, to that of '17. The budget system in '17 is far too cumbersome and confusing to use.

Rocket32 05-15-2017 11:16 AM

In my opinion 17 is much better. The only real point you can make that 16 is better is the budget system. Other then that 17 is a major overall upgrade.

tessl 05-15-2017 11:44 AM

yes

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ions-here.html

The caveat is they could still fix 17 in a patch.

kinsmen7 05-15-2017 02:51 PM

Only thing I preferred was the budget system, but after spending a bit of time using this one, it doesn't change that much.

consecutive27 05-17-2017 09:43 AM

It is interesting to see everyone's opinion on this question. I am still playing 16 and enjoying it. I have gone back and forth about getting 17. For now I will continue with 16. I really have no problems with the gameplay and the most intriguing thing to me in 17 is the new interactions in RTTS. The new ball physics sound good, but like I said, 16's gameplay works for me. The budget thing in 17 would probably annoy me as well; though I would adjust I am sure.

Bullit 05-17-2017 11:34 AM

I have gone back to '16 for the second time and baring a patch that fixes my issues, this is where I am probable going to stay. Not going to get into a discussion over which is a better game. But I will say that I am having a lot more fun with '16 and that is what I am looking for.

countryboy 05-17-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullit (Post 2048838742)
I have gone back to '16 for the second time and baring a patch that fixes my issues, this is where I am probable going to stay. Not going to get into a discussion over which is a better game. But I will say that I am having a lot more fun with '16 and that is what I am looking for.

This is how I feel.

I am in no way saying that '17 is a bad game, because it isn't. It's just the issues that I have with it really take away from my enjoyment in playing it.

For me, while '16 isn't without its issues, the ones that I experience don't keep me from enjoying the game.

jsou4646 05-17-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy (Post 2048838894)
This is how I feel.

I am in no way saying that '17 is a bad game, because it isn't. It's just the issues that I have with it really take away from my enjoyment in playing it.

For me, while '16 isn't without its issues, the ones that I experience don't keep me from enjoying the game.

I didn't play a lot of 16, but I'm intrigued by this thread. Without going into major detail what were some of the areas that 16 shines over 17. 17 is good but like you said a couple issues are tough to handle.

countryboy 05-17-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsou4646 (Post 2048839141)
I didn't play a lot of 16, but I'm intrigued by this thread. Without going into major detail what were some of the areas that 16 shines over 17. 17 is good but like you said a couple issues are tough to handle.

For myself, I feel that '16 is more balanced. I really don't know how else to say it. I think '17 took a huge swing with ball physics, Humanity AI, and player quirks, but I think these 3 things have upset the balance of the game and require more tuning for them to deliver the same game play experience that I had/have with '16.

No.27 05-17-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy (Post 2048839161)
For myself, I feel that '16 is more balanced. I really don't know how else to say it. I think '17 took a huge swing with ball physics, Humanity AI, and player quirks, but I think these 3 things have upset the balance of the game and require more tuning for them to deliver the same game play experience that I had/have with '16.

Presently re downloading 16 to have a look for myself but would like to know how you find the hits down the middle? I remember it being a bugbear of mine that the pitcher got in the way of too many. I find the new physics give the ball a lot of different ways to get past the pitcher and this alone has kept me going with 17. Although it's interesting to note I still haven't managed to start my proper franchise!

countryboy 05-17-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No.27 (Post 2048839239)
Presently re downloading 16 to have a look for myself but would like to know how you find the hits down the middle? I remember it being a bugbear of mine that the pitcher got in the way of too many. I find the new physics give the ball a lot of different ways to get past the pitcher and this alone has kept me going with 17. Although it's interesting to note I still haven't managed to start my proper franchise!

I honestly don't have a big problem with it. It happens but not frequently or often. I can go multiple games without seeing it and there are games once in blue moon that it happens a couple times a game

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

addi.aaj 05-18-2017 01:25 AM

My response will be off topic but still worth mentioning. I strictly play RTTS. I have held back from purchasing MLB 17 simply because of the unrealistic homerun distance issue. This is not an issue for MLB 16.

So far MLB 17 has had about 3 patches and none of them address this issue. Therefore I continue to play MLB 16 because I rather have a more sim-like experience.

The homerun distance issue kind of reminds of playing old EA basketball games from the 16 bit era. The issue being that you could dunk from unrealistic distances.... Therefore making the gameplay non-sim and really for children. If I wanted a baseball game with unrealistic homerun distances then either (a) make it a mode, or (b) release some sort of NBA JAM, or 2on2 Open Ice Challenge sort of games.

Thomas7 05-18-2017 02:15 PM

I probably will stay with 17. I like 16 better but since I uninstalled 16 and changed my password the Patch 1.09 did not fixed auto baserunning problems. B4 the uninstalled BR worked perfectly, ???

rkocjay 05-18-2017 02:32 PM

no way not even a question. I am still in the Hollywood phase of mlb the show 17

p00p1 05-18-2017 08:24 PM

I'm curious what their daily active users looks like compared to the same time last year.

sheredia 05-20-2017 05:42 PM

my son recently bought a ps4 and i HAD to get mlb the show....i went with 16 because it was cheaper (which i actually got for $7.99 due to a pricing error). i am more than pleased for a few reasons. cheaper, of course...some great classic team rosters were already in place since the game has been out for some time...current and world baseball classic rosters too...love diamond dynasty and created the defunct montreal expos (using just free agents for an additional challenge). don't see a need for 17, for the time being.

Bunselpower32 05-21-2017 12:26 AM

Not even a little bit.

Caulfield 06-26-2017 08:36 PM

I've spent a great deal of time over the last 2 weeks playing the original Show for ps4 (MLB 14) and while I dont prefer it, or 16 for that matter, over 17, it has been a nice change of pace. IMO 14 holds up well 3 years later though I was mainly playing it because of the default roster and to take a break from what I have going on in 17. I think come late August I will pop in Show 15 and relive those rosters for a bit too.

Culture Rot 06-27-2017 05:03 PM

Before they nerfed hitting in that patch, my answer would be no.

disk 06-30-2017 12:09 PM

I play 90% franchise mode and while there are some changes in 17 that I think are terrible and the overall mode really hasn't changed going back multiple games, the game play is why I prefer 17 to 16. Yes it is not what I would call a polished game (seems like they rushed 17 and didn't finish it honestly), changes to game physics make game play that much more enjoyable and that's what it is really about for me.

SolidSnake07 07-02-2017 04:19 PM

I never played 16 so AFAIC 17 is fine with me.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Regent 07-05-2017 12:27 PM

I decided yesterday to trade in 17 while I can still get a decent amount on it to put towards Madden or NBA.

When 17 first came out, for all of its early problems, I was still having a blast playing franchise and RTTS. The recent patches just sucked the enjoyment out of it for me, and I went from playing every day, to maybe once a week.

With 16, I played it right up until 17 released and enjoyed every session. After packing up 17 last night I fired up 16 and ended up playing way too late, because it was FUN again.

I'm starting to think that, as a strictly offline player, I should start waiting a year, until all the patching is done, before I buy any sports title, then decide. Up until now, I've been a day one guy, but it might be worthwhile to wait it out. If nothing else, it'd be cheaper.

gman2774 07-05-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regent (Post 2048893270)
I decided yesterday to trade in 17 while I can still get a decent amount on it to put towards Madden or NBA.

When 17 first came out, for all of its early problems, I was still having a blast playing franchise and RTTS. The recent patches just sucked the enjoyment out of it for me, and I went from playing every day, to maybe once a week.

With 16, I played it right up until 17 released and enjoyed every session. After packing up 17 last night I fired up 16 again and ended up playing way too late, because it was FUN again.

I'm starting to think that, as a strictly offline player, I should start waiting a year, until all the patching is done, before I buy any sports title, then decide. Up until now, I've been a day one guy, but it might be worthwhile to wait it out. If nothing else, it'd be cheaper.

I echo your sentiment. Not just for the show but all sports games. I don't like how patches can now dramatically change gameplay in a way that we need to recalibrate each time a patch is released. It never really allows me to settle in. Patches use to focus primarily on glitches not fundamentally change the way a game plays. I posted in another thread how this game has changed since release. For me, not in a positive way. Subjective of course but I loved the feel of hitting at release. Now it feels the same as past iterations. Not necessarily a bad thing but just stale vs. the feel of 17 at release. Personal preference. I wish us offliners were allowed to choose which "patch" version we want to play with. Similar to how NHL allows you to choose the tuner version of your liking.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

countryboy 07-05-2017 07:54 PM

While '17 may not have been the game for me this year, I have complete faith in SDS and will be buying '18 on day one. Like I've said, '17 is in no way a bad game, its just the hiccups that it does have really hamper my enjoyment of it. I'm confident these issues will be corrected for '18.

piffbernd 07-07-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Regent (Post 2048893270)

With 16, I played it right up until 17 released and enjoyed every session. After packing up 17 last night I fired up 16 and ended up playing way too late, because it was FUN again.

If u really wanna wait for a later buy. Don't watch any Streams or go in forums. The games will to much hyped.