Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   You'll Be Able to Match-Up by Overall Rating in Pass Coverage in Madden NFL 18 (/forums/showthread.php?t=910201)

Steve_OS 06-10-2017 08:08 PM

You'll Be Able to Match-Up by Overall Rating in Pass Coverage in Madden NFL 18

1 Attachment(s)
Steve reported on Twitter that you can match-up players in defensive coverage by overall rating in Madden NFL 18. This means that your top rated CB will match up with the top rated WR from the other team on defense. There's also other options in coaching adjustments for defense to auto-flip your defensive play call, playing ball in the air defense, option defense, and your pass rush.

No word on the available options here other than the ones shown.

https://twitter.com/Steve_OS/status/873675922943217665

Update: Clint Oldenburg chimed in on Twitter to give a more detailed list of ways you can match up with cornerbacks. Included are height, speed, jumping ability and more.

https://twitter.com/ClintOldenburg/status/873734287807225857

Click here to view the article.

Kanobi 06-10-2017 09:04 PM

A good step in the right direction. Was hoping for something more akin to *NFL2k's system that allowed you to customize specific matchups across the board and designate double coverage when the playcall permitted. Example: Having a linebacker spy the QB, a SS key on the TE...or your speedier (not necessarily your best) corner and their fastest wr. *This was awesome when an opposing wr taking the game over and you could designate double coverage to shut him down. Good times.

adembroski 06-10-2017 09:13 PM

Re: You'll Be Able to Match-Up by Overall Rating in Pass Coverage in Madden NFL 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanobi (Post 2048866352)
A good step in the right direction. Was hoping for something more akin to *NFL2k's system that allowed you to customize specific matchups across the board and designate double coverage when the playcall permitted. Example: Having a linebacker spy the QB, a SS key on the TE...or your speedier (not necessarily your best) corner and their fastest wr. *This was awesome when an opposing wr taking the game over and you could designate double coverage to shut him down. Good times.

Holy wow... like, Kanobi of 2k5 advocating on MaddenMania fame?!?!

jake_h_8 06-10-2017 09:32 PM

I am a bit pessimistic about this. I can see guys in Franchise signing high overall but bad players (see 78 speed regression candidates) just to exploit the highest overall matchup. Hopefully there are more options, as overall is one of the worst ways to rate a player.

Kanobi 06-10-2017 09:43 PM

Re: You'll Be Able to Match-Up by Overall Rating in Pass Coverage in Madden NFL 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by adembroski (Post 2048866357)
Holy wow... like, Kanobi of 2k5 advocating on MaddenMania fame?!?!

Man you took me waaaay back. lol And I believe it was NFL2k3 that I was posting about all over MaddenMania. I couldn't believe how far ahead Nfl2k was at the time and had to spread the word because, like me, a lot of 'Maddenites' (the term I used back then haha!) were in the dark on 2k football.

TheBleedingRed21 06-10-2017 09:47 PM

This wasn't my way of adding matchups in, there are so many variables besides overall that determines a good matchup. Unforutnely, when competitive gamers just say best on best, this is what happens.

I am hoping we get manual matchups or a lot more options, no way of knowing now so I'm gonna reserve the rest of my judgement until then.

DeuceDouglas 06-10-2017 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21 (Post 2048866391)
This wasn't my way of adding matchups in, there are so many variables besides overall that determines a good matchup. Unforutnely, when competitive gamers just say best on best, this is what happens.

I am hoping we get manual matchups or a lot more options, no way of knowing now so I'm gonna reserve the rest of my judgement until then.

Same. It's always said "OVR doesn't matter" so hopefully there's more to it like individual assignments and maybe an nickelback position specific to the depth chart. My initial thought was the other options would be "By Speed, By Height" or "By MCV, By ZCV" and along those lines. But wait and see.

My biggest question as always is whether or not the CPU will use all of them and if they do how smart they are when doing so. I didn't play NCAA14 so I'm not sure if the AI utilized them but this seems like it would fall under the same category as packages which I know they don't utilize in Madden.

Rocky 06-10-2017 10:26 PM

More interested in what the pass rush option does.