Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Basketball Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Unlock Every Player in NBA Playgrounds For $9.99 - Good or Bad Move? (/forums/showthread.php?t=912392)

Steve_OS 08-02-2017 07:00 PM

Unlock Every Player in NBA Playgrounds For $9.99 - Good or Bad Move?

Saber Interactive is offering the ability to unlock every player currently on the NBA Playgrounds roster. This includes every free player added in the future for $9.99 on Steam, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

According to Saber, this was one of the top community requests, but the responses on their Twitter feed show there are many upset fans.

NBA Playgrounds was mostly based off of a player unlock system, opening packs and leveling up. This DLC takes the fun out of that process and angered their fanbase.

What are your thoughts? Is this a good or bad move?

Click here to view the article.

Turbojugend 08-02-2017 07:14 PM

Re: Unlock Every Player in NBA Playgrounds For $9.99 - Good or Bad Move?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_OS (Post 2048926386)
NBA Playgrounds was mostly based off of a player unlock system, opening packs and leveling up. This DLC takes the fun out of that process and angered their fanbase.

I prefer to unlock characters the old-school way. But what about this DLC "takes the fun out of that process"? Can't I just keep unlocking characters per usual and not spend the $9.99? If so, not sure what there is to be angry about.

Steve_OS 08-02-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbojugend (Post 2048926397)
I prefer to unlock characters the old-school way. But what about this DLC "takes the fun out of that process"? Can't I just keep unlocking characters per usual and not spend the $9.99? If so, not sure what there is to be angry about.

Yes, you can do that. Many fans are upset because while they are grinding the right way to get players (like you do), others can simply pay a fee and have them all unlocked, take them online, etc. Kind of a cheesy way to do it. It should have been designed better, but they can learn from it.

Turbojugend 08-02-2017 07:29 PM

Gotcha Steve. To me, paying to unlock characters is like paying to beat a game, I'm not sure why you'd do it but I'm not upset that the option exists for those who choose to do so.

BA2929 08-02-2017 09:12 PM

Great move. A player, or players, someone wants to use shouldn't be locked behind a grind wall in a sports game.*

AndrewNLSC 08-02-2017 09:55 PM

While this approach has its problems, I also think it's a necessary evil in this case, as long as the game lacks offline content. If you're primarily an offline player, it's a really hard grind to level up and earn packs once you've completed the Tournaments, since you earn less XP when replaying them.

Adding more content with chances to earn a higher amount of XP without playing online would have been preferable, and maybe that's still in the long-term plans. As it stands, it's always going to be a controversial move, but it's understandable, and gamers did ask for it, so it's on the fanbase as much as Saber themselves.

Steve_OS 08-02-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewNLSC (Post 2048926599)
While this approach has its problems, I also think it's a necessary evil in this case, as long as the game lacks offline content. If you're primarily an offline player, it's a really hard grind to level up and earn packs once you've completed the Tournaments, since you earn less XP when replaying them.

Adding more content with chances to earn a higher amount of XP without playing online would have been preferable, and maybe that's still in the long-term plans. As it stands, it's always going to be a controversial move, but it's understandable, and gamers did ask for it, so it's on the fanbase as much as Saber themselves.

I see no issue here for the offline gamer, but those online guys that love to grind will be disappointed to see so many out there w/ full rosters. I agree though, no matter what, the fanbase will be split on the decision and Saber heard those specific fans loud and clear.

Murphy7376 08-03-2017 02:18 AM

Totally against it simply because I can not help myself. I have not played this yet but WWE 2K has a similar set up and I used to take great joy in unlocking each character but now that it is an option to buy an unlock the past few years* I always wind up doing it the first day and then regretting it of course because it kills any sense of accomplishment lol. Guess I need more self control : )