Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Basketball Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   989 sports, where you at? (/forums/showthread.php?t=913578)

dilladawg4 08-20-2017 11:19 PM

989 sports, where you at?

I was just feelin EXTREMELY nostalgic and googled the early competition from back in the days...before 2K there was NBA SHOOTOUT& NFL GAMEDAY...well maybe not i remembered dreamcast sports bundle also they were a few years apart. No, 989 was out 1st

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Operation Sports mobile app

Mike2001 08-20-2017 11:40 PM

Re: 989 sports, where you at?

I remember them, wasnt really a fan of them. I think the studio who was 989 has become the team that make MLB the show but i am not sure

Sent from my SM-G925T using Operation Sports mobile app

dilladawg4 08-20-2017 11:49 PM

I think you're right.

youvalss 08-21-2017 12:25 AM

I think 989 flushed themselves down the toilet when they refused to improve the quality of their games. The Shootout series wasn't that great, yet somewhat decent, in my opinion. Then, when they were part of SCEA they may taken part in developing those games with the story mode, but they stopped putting much effort into everything else. Those games had no editing/slider options, which meant that if Billups goes for 360 dunks (and he did), you are going to have to live with it - or don't play at all.

I think that was the motto of that series: "Play it this way, or don't play at all". Most gamers chose not to play at all, and the series was gone forever.

But I do miss the competition. NBA Shootout, NBA In The Zone, NBA Courtside, NBA Inside Drive... It's all gone, and feels so far away...like it happened 30 years ago.

dilladawg4 08-21-2017 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youvalss (Post 2048957945)
I think 989 flushed themselves down the toilet when they refused to improve the quality of their games. The Shootout series wasn't that great, yet somewhat decent, in my opinion. Then, when they were part of SCEA they may taken part in developing those games with the story mode, but they stopped putting much effort into everything else. Those games had no editing/slider options, which meant that if Billups goes for 360 dunks (and he did), you are going to have to live with it - or don't play at all.

I think that was the motto of that series: "Play it this way, or don't play at all". Most gamers chose not to play at all, and the series was gone forever.

But I do miss the competition. NBA Shootout, NBA In The Zone, NBA Courtside, NBA Inside Drive... It's all gone, and feels so far away...like it happened 30 years ago.

Yea it does seem like a lifetime ago...i was that dude buying every single one of those titles...damn,thought i could save them franchises...not so much[emoji57]

dilladawg4 08-21-2017 12:31 AM

I actually still have my genesis nba showdown on up

Chemthethriller 08-21-2017 12:37 AM

I always wonder if anyone from MaddenMania is still on here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youvalss 08-21-2017 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilladawg4 (Post 2048957949)
Yea it does seem like a lifetime ago...i was that dude buying every single one of those titles...damn,thought i could save them franchises...not so much

Ahh, so it was you who bought that unit they sold...:y220d:

There is no way to tell, but when I think about it, I doubt they would have released a game better than Live 14, if they did it today.

I think the last decent non-2K or EA game was either NBA Starting Five 2005 or NBA ID 2004 (which I never played).