Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   CPU Draft Logic is still not correct (/forums/showthread.php?t=914784)

extremeskins04 09-03-2017 01:54 AM

CPU Draft Logic is still not correct

Currently in the first draft (2018) and the Bears took a QB when they had Trubisky who is 24 years old and 79 OVR with 3 years remaining on his deal.

Other teams have made some questionable picks as well. Jaguars who run a 4-3 defense drafted a 3-4 Tackler MLB while they already had Myles Jack who is 79 OVR, a Quick dev, 22 years old and a "Cover 2 MLB".

I distinctively remember an interview with Clint saying that the Drafting was much improved this year and teams won't draft players they don't need or won't draft players where they already have a young player building up.

:signball::signball:

fballturkey 09-03-2017 02:11 AM

Re: CPU Draft Logic is still not correct

Did they take him in the first? It's conceivable that they could take a QB later in the draft (see Washington a couple years ago for an extreme example) but if it's in the first then yeah, that makes no sense.

extremeskins04 09-03-2017 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fballturkey (Post 2048985888)
Did they take him in the first? It's conceivable that they could take a QB later in the draft (see Washington a couple years ago for an extreme example) but if it's in the first then yeah, that makes no sense.

They took him with their 2nd round pick - 4th selection, #37 overall.

So ya think this is still conceivable even if they have a guy that is young and upcoming?

SolidSquid 09-03-2017 02:51 AM

ITs still not correct but it is better, at least they didn't take a qb in rounds 1,2and 3. The devs are never going to completely fix ai logic in one cycle. It's a constant battle.

CM Hooe 09-03-2017 02:59 AM

Maybe I'm using a different roster - my cloud franchise started with the preseason week 3 start point and we just got to regular season week 1 - but I see Myles Jack as the starting LOLB and Paul Posluszny as the starting MLB? The Jaguars definitely run a 4-3 defense (check their defensive playbook) with Jack, Posluszny, and Telvin Smith as their starting LBs from left to right.

I am going to take a wild guess what has happened in your case is that Posluszny retired / was released, the head coach Doug Marrone (with the 4-3 defensive playbook) was fired, the new head coach runs a 3-4 defense and moved Jack inside upon being hired (because Jack is not a great 3-4 edge rusher and a coaching change is the only reason the CPU will ever change players' positions), and the Jags then needed a second MLB for the 3-4 front so they drafted the MLB.

As to the Bears, it's probably a stretch to say Chicago would draft a second-round QB to push Trubisky if Trubisky didn't develop after only his rookie season (which he probably didn't if he's still an OVR 79); they probably wouldn't do that until at least the start of his third year if he continued to show little promise. However, given how much the NFL has moved towards a "what are you doing for me right now" attitude with respect to roster management, I don't think it's that huge a stretch?

EDIT: looks like on the launch roster Jack is listed at MLB and Posluszny is at LOLB, so my position change hypothesis might be bunk. Doesn't rule out the CPU drafting a new MLB if there was a coaching change to a 3-4 scheme, though; they don't have playable depth at that position on the launch-day roster.

SmashMan 09-03-2017 03:07 AM

Bears fan here. That kind of drafting does not surprise me. :lol:

extremeskins04 09-03-2017 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM Hooe (Post 2048985917)
Maybe I'm using a different roster - my cloud franchise started with the preseason week 3 start point and we just got to regular season week 1 - but I see Myles Jack as the starting LOLB and Paul Posluszny as the starting MLB? The Jaguars definitely run a 4-3 defense (check their defensive playbook) with Jack, Posluszny, and Telvin Smith as their starting LBs from left to right.

I am going to take a wild guess what has happened in your case is that Posluszny retired / was released, the head coach Doug Marrone (with the 4-3 defensive playbook) was fired, the new head coach runs a 3-4 defense and moved Jack inside upon being hired (because Jack is not a great 3-4 edge rusher and a coaching change is the only reason the CPU will ever change players' positions), and the Jags then needed a second MLB for the 3-4 front so they drafted the MLB.

As to the Bears, it's probably a stretch to say Chicago would draft a second-round QB to push Trubisky if Trubisky didn't develop after only his rookie season (which he probably didn't if he's still an OVR 79); they probably wouldn't do that until at least the start of his third year if he continued to show little promise. However, given how much the NFL has moved towards a "what are you doing for me right now" attitude with respect to roster management, I don't think it's that huge a stretch?

EDIT: looks like on the launch roster Jack is listed at MLB and Posluszny is at LOLB, so my position change hypothesis might be bunk. Doesn't rule out the CPU drafting a new MLB if there was a coaching change to a 3-4 scheme, though; they don't have playable depth at that position on the launch-day roster.

Yea Chris, I'm using the "SimFootballOS" roster that I downloaded cause it had the latest cuts/releases/retires and the time. Believe it was a few days ago. It had Posluszny retired but Doug Marrone is still the HC.

Offense: Zone Run
Defense: Base 4-3

The MLB1 and MLB2 in his scheme are both: Balanced. So maybe it was just that he liked the Speed, Accel, and Agility.

I kinda wish the coaches would draft based on what fits their system though.

As far as what I bolded in your response, yea I can live with that. Maybe if he progressed above 80, they'd be ok with it.

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ 09-03-2017 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM Hooe (Post 2048985917)

Given that to get Trubisky the Bears gave the 49ers the 3, the 67, the 111, and a 3rd next year, which becamse both Reuban Foster and Solomon Thomas, AND the Saints 2nd round pick next year (essentially two 1's and a 2nd), I would say it is a huge stretch.

Highly drafted QBs are a different breed than other positions.I mean, the Jaguars are still running Blake Bortles out there.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/26/bl...ng-quarterback

So I think in the very least, Madden needs to make an exception for highly drafted QBs. They need to create a specific trait for the quarterback of the future which prevents AI from trying to replace him until at least year 3. Even Jamarcus Russell, possibly the biggest QB draft bust of all time, lasted three years in Oakland (and they did not draft a QB in any of those years).