Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports NHL (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here (/forums/showthread.php?t=915137)

csamuelsvt 09-09-2017 10:27 PM

Re: NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here

By the way, make excuses for the team, how aren't there 5 man celebrations in this game? How are there ZERO updated commentary lines in this game? Would love to hear the reasons why this is expectable?

NHL 2K has the perfect opportunity to capitalize on this. We as a community have to stop saying, its "ok!"

Im just so sick of my sport being overlooked. Look at NBA 2K, NBA live, MLB the SHOW, Madden, etc, this game is TERRIBLE. We can't keep this up!

Christian9 09-09-2017 10:41 PM

Re: NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here

The fact that EA took a chance competing with 2K, and the rebuild that was done for Live is so contra to what we see with NHL. I guess if there is a silver lining, or hope for one. It's that some changes can come for this series, and the new blood can convince the suits that change is needed, and a calculated risk could pay off. Wishful thinking maybe, but to be honest, I thought the Live series was dead, or at least close.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

bad_philanthropy 09-09-2017 11:10 PM

I just think with the profile of the NBA the prospect of tapping into NBA-based Ultimate Team (NUT? BUT?) revenue is a risk they want to take. Also possibly generate youtube culture of "ripping packs" for Live fits with their overall strategy of emphasizing the low cost/high return of Ultimate Team these days. And of course cut out a piece of the massive sales NBA 2k does year after year.

Man, I'd love 2k hockey to come back, but why would 2k do it?

From the outside it seems to me like Andrew Wilson is a good suit for EA Sports, but bad for the older, legacy sports gamer market.

If we really want things to change we have to hope that people get bored of UT. It's digusting if you look at most sports game content on youtube, it's just people spending a ton of money to open packs of cards that cost EA nothing but the overall licensing costs. It's not even lack of competition right now so much as it is that UT is so popular and insanely profitable with limited investment, or extensive development of the software year over year.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this is evident if you just look at the multiple "versions" of the game the sell. The most expensive one comes with more and special cards. and lets you play early. If you just want to play the game and not spend additional money on it you get to play it several days later than its traitional release date.

csamuelsvt 09-09-2017 11:10 PM

The fact that some of the madden team went to the nba live team, and it SHOWS, this team needs to go to the NHL team.....the NHL series is close to being DOA. Its embarrassing. How do you have Rammer say they can get Doc anytime they want and not update 1 commentary line the entire series? Come on!

And STILL no 5 man celebration???

Dolphins88 09-10-2017 12:47 AM

The state of sports gaming Is sad 😭. If they aren't going to upgrade the game majorly they should just keep game and add packs to buy like rosters , gameplay enhancements , sliders, etc . That way they can make a mJor upgrade every 2-3 years.
I wish there was more competition. The NFL needs to let 2K back in the mix and 2K needs to make a NHL game.

jake19ny 09-10-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy (Post 2048999901)
The thing about sales and the NHL series, is that lower sales don't incentivize management to spend more to make the game better, they just won't make an NHL game. We saw this with 2k. It wasn't worth their investment to try and increase sales by spending more resources on the title. The better option was to just not make a hockey game, and roll some of that development budget into NBA or other titles with greater potential for consistent and long term bigger returns.

Not that I'm arguing, "you should buy it or none of us get any hockey games." If people don't like it, they won't buy it, and the market will have spoken that it doesn't support a title that costs what EA NHL costs to develop and is sold the way it is.

Doesn't mean there isn't a model that a segment of the market does support—like indie high customization, or a passion project, and hopefully we'll see that at some point alongside EA's NHL.

I agree. I'm not asking for more I'm asking for instead. All their gimmicks have not led to increased sales so why not start actively and truly listening to the hockey gaming community and focus the resources on that. I honestly think sales would improve a bit. They would not decline.

Fiddy 09-10-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csamuelsvt (Post 2049000297)
NHL 2K has the perfect opportunity to capitalize on this. We as a community have to stop saying, its "ok!"

Im just so sick of my sport being overlooked. Look at NBA 2K, NBA live, MLB the SHOW, Madden, etc, this game is TERRIBLE. We can't keep this up!

Same! Drives me nuts that my favorite sport gets no actual love. If they could even some how get 25% of what games like The Show and NBA2K get, man we would have one heck of an NHL game.

I also don't know how NHL is still a yearly release. They could do a two year cycle. Update rosters and menus with DLC. Maybe a tuner or two and that be that.

Same with a company like 2K, why not just release a digital version of an NHL game only? Every two years etc.

Someone stated this already but the state of sports gaming is sad, the only thing booming is Ultimate Team modes. People buying packs and streaming it.

Drakar 09-10-2017 10:38 AM

You can tell there have a lesser budget and team than other games like NBA, FIFA and Madden. The sales has been declining for years and I predict this year will be the worst to date. So the compulsive gamblers will continue playing HUT and people who don't like really like hockey will play the 3 vs 3 arcade (nhl hitz wannabe mode). There is a need for a competitor to push EA to do something drastic. I am sure Rammer is also frustrated by the whole situation. We like to blame him but he was to work with what he is given.