Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports NHL (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=554)
-   -   NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here (/forums/showthread.php?t=915137)

Millennium 09-08-2017 12:36 AM

Re: NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:

Originally Posted by SocialAssassin (Post 2048995829)
What can be said about NHL 18 that hasn't been said about NHL 17, 16 and 15? It's bombed out and depleted. There's no point in constructive criticism if I've been constructive about it for four years and not one of my major complaints has been listened to.

But there are people out there who keep the fatcats at EA happy by buying the new game every year no matter what.

They be like

So you're telling me that you've played it and the defensive skill stick & upgrades to the CPU AI (which I showed on stream tonight) aren't two HUGE changes to gameplay? Did I miss that?

Just because you personally haven't been heard does not give you and excuse to not be constructive. And if you feel like it does I am telling you it is not welcome at OS.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Operation Sports mobile app

SocialAssassin 09-08-2017 01:24 AM

Re: NHL 18 Trial Available For EA Access Subscribers, Post Your Impressions Here

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millennium (Post 2048995837)
So you're telling me that you've played it and the defensive skill stick & upgrades to the CPU AI (which I showed on stream tonight) aren't two HUGE changes to gameplay? Did I miss that?

Just because you personally haven't been heard does not give you and excuse to not be constructive. And if you feel like it does I am telling you it is not welcome at OS.

They're not massive improvements. When the core game breaking catchup logic still exists and other exploits that have been long running, whatever they added does not matter until they fix all the flaws that has hampered the series for years.

Your tone to members of the community isn't appreciated just because they're not painting a rosy picture for you.

bad_philanthropy 09-08-2017 01:42 AM

Those AI improvements and defensive skillstick should probably have been in a while ago. NHL 15 for this gen should have pushed the series into a new paradigm in the way NHL 07 did, but due to a number of reasons was a complete failure and misstep for the series and its development.

That said, we all know the broader case of NHL's development, and that development costs and returns don't scale the same with today's hardware as they did when NHL 07 was being worked on starting around 2005.

I feel like given the relatively niche status of the game (outside of Canadian markets), development costs, and EA's size and its nature as a publicly traded company, that the NHL series is about as ambitious as it could be. I mean that in a positive way.

The addition of relocation and overall refinements made to Franchise mode last year, and expansion mode this year, and implementing small, hardcore, single player features like in-season re-signing, nmc's, division realignment (which I believe the latter two are coming in a day zero patch), are things I wouldn't really expect in the era of Ultimate Team.

We also don't know the nature of licensing agreements and how that could make things murky when it comes to roster sharing—especially after what EA went through with NCAA. Madden, which has one league has roster sharing. NHL and FIFA have many leagues and do not. It obviously could just be that there is no priority to build the feature, but it could also be a legal roadblock.

I hear the complaints, and I want more ambition, and execution, and a bigger, more impressive hockey video game, but given the scenario that we only have one company willing to develop an NHL game, and it's EA, I'm pretty happy with what NHL has done since 16.

I have my complaints, sure, but I enjoy the game. I can also understand those who are more passionate, and have their own expectations, and are disappointed, or even angry with how the series has turned out over the years.

I guess I could sum up my own feelings of the NHL series as disappointed and underwhelmed, but very satisfied with its feature set and the tools it gives me to make it play in a way I find very enjoyable.

il_tedesco 09-08-2017 03:17 AM

There is no Division realignment in Expansion Mode. You Always start in the Central Division. Very disappointing to me.

Millennium 09-08-2017 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SocialAssassin (Post 2048995969)
They're not massive improvements. When the core game breaking catchup logic still exists and other exploits that have been long running, whatever they added does not matter until they fix all the flaws that has hampered the series for years.

Your tone to members of the community isn't appreciated just because they're not painting a rosy picture for you.

I don't care about a rosy picture. Look at the Madden forums: Lots of feedback both negative and positive. I care about how you give your feedback. This forum specifically has spent years chasing out anyone with anything to say about the game that isn't "Fire Rammer" or "This game sucks, oh yeah I didn't actually play it " and, as I said, it's the same 10-20 cancerous people that it is every year.

And it's already been proven time and time again that there is no catch-up logic in the game - the CPU adjusts their coaching strategies based on situation and if you turn the "User Coach Adjustments" slider to 3 or higher you see an immediate change in that. Even most of the comp guys don't believe in "ice tilt" (Yes, I know what it's called and all of the accusations against it because I actually research the issues outside of OS) anymore due to dev interaction and testing.

As I said - It's time to clean up how we give feedback. I'm 100% okay with negative feedback formed in the way of specific issues that we can show. Every other forum in this site can do it - The NHL forum will no longer be given a pass.

Money99 09-08-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millennium (Post 2048995650)
Toe the line? I'm asking this forum for constructive feedback, something EVERY other forum has been able to give with it's core for years.

Don't like it - go to the EA Forums. Because I'm no longer sitting back and watching senseless bashing as opposed to constructive criticism.

I understand your role in this forum and what you're trying to do.
It must be frustrating to read blanket statements when you're looking for precise pro's and con's.

But if I can ask an honest question, without any agenda attached...
The community here has pointed out some AI issues/flaws for several years now and EA hasn't addressed them yet.
Just a quick inventory;
- CPU can do things users can't.
- every team plays the same.
- not enough player separation

Those three things have been brought up more than anything else (gameplay wise).

Perhaps the OS community has grown tired of trying to help when their requests are ignored?
It's a two-way street (if in fact EA cares about OS's opinion).
If the developers genuinely look to OS for advice, then I believe they should take some time to answer some questions or provide insight as to why the same complaints are never addressed.

Millennium 09-08-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money99 (Post 2048996404)
I understand your role in this forum and what you're trying to do.
It must be frustrating to read blanket statements when you're looking for precise pro's and con's.

But if I can ask an honest question, without any agenda attached...
The community here has pointed out some AI issues/flaws for several years now and EA hasn't addressed them yet.
Just a quick inventory;
- CPU can do things users can't.
- every team plays the same.
- not enough player separation

Those three things have been brought up more than anything else (gameplay wise).

Perhaps the OS community has grown tired of trying to help when their requests are ignored?
It's a two-way street (if in fact EA cares about OS's opinion).
If the developers genuinely look to OS for advice, then I believe they should take some time to answer some questions or provide insight as to why the same complaints are never addressed.

The issue is that dev interaction on this forum WAS a thing in the past until they were attacked enough that now they just read it (and I know for a fact that they do read the forum).

I agree with team separation. Have said it myself for a few years (and on the Press Row Podcast where I tore the beta apart this year, so much for the "company line"). I think player separation/ID is near perfect - you can absolutely feel the difference between roles (moreso this year due to the ratings changes).

The CPU doing things that the player can not is simply not true. Are there a little too accurate when passing? Maybe. But there is a ton of user error involved that I don't believe want to admit to as well.

If you or anyone else is frustrated I'm fine with that. But expression of that needs to be focused in a constructive manner.

csamuelsvt 09-08-2017 08:19 AM

Alright where to start with my initial thoughts after playing a couple hours last night simply only playing offline games in play now:

I'm a sim player who only plays offline. I typically play on PS4 and played the beta on the PRO. The beta seemed to pop on my OLED 4K C7, playing on XBOX one S, the game looked rough, honestly. Was surprised by that. This game is not a looker at all. Frostbite engine did wonders for Madden. Going from Madden to this, yikes. Menu speeds are pretty bad as well. When you play Madden you IMMEDIATELY notice how great it looks especially in 4K, this game, eh. Just my opinion. Also noticed frame-rate issues at the beginning of the faceoff once the puck is dropped.

Presentation/Audio. Besides some new camera angles before faceoffs and new goal replays that we all saw in the beta that look good, it is pretty much exactly the same as last year and the year before. Commentary was tweaked on goal calls to "attempt" to make Doc sound more excited, when all they did was insert his loud "score" that was used for a minute left in the 3rd, into other situations throughout the game. Eddie is the exact same word for word and Ray may have the exact same lines as well(dont quote me on that, but everything sounds verbatim) *edited just watched Millenimum's twitch game and Ray talked about Austin Matthews* The added some new, updated goal horns, however the same ones that have been wrong for years, Minnesota and Florida, are wrong again. I know someone that has been working with the audio guy on this and they are trying to fix the right ones.

It appears EA went all out on presentation with NHL 15 and 16 because they have not really updated commentary lines, graphics, etc since. Was hoping for more. Really disappointed with the commentary. In other games you'll AT LEAST hear some new lines. Everything is pretty much the exact same so far and that is inexcusable.

Gameplay: Defensive Skill Stick is a good addition. Takes time to get a hold of, but it's a good tool that was added to help improve defense. The AI is improved in some areas definitely. They use the boards to pass now! I got dangled as well by the AI which was great to see. The changes are under the hood and don't hit you at first because they are simple hockey plays that they should be and should have been doing all along. I typically play on All-Star Sim and I got my *** handed to be as the Avalanche against the Canucks my first play through which was good to see. Then played as the Hawks vs. Canucks and scored 3 goals in the first period. I liked that. Looks like perhaps the players play to their ratings? I tried deeking with Kane and he was far superior to a 4th line player for example. The 4th line player lost the puck.

AI however STILL does unbelievable, things that makes you scratch your head on how they do some of the moves they do. The turning into the boards and quick turns, etc are eyesores. The skating engine really needs work. You have to be careful not to chase the puck, as if you do, the AI will absolutely punish you with the high slot or backdoor one timer. Have pretty much seen the same old goals.

Very disappointed to not really see any goalie improvements/ new animations. Look exactly the same as the past couple of years. The stances etc are cosmetic like last year, but they all play the same.

Puck pickups are tough and they really need to work on this. We said this last year as well.

All in all, I'd say this is more of a refined of the same game we have seen over the years, with some better AI and defensive skill stick, and new skill stick moves, which are nice.

I don't play 3s and may only play a couple of times.

Need to play more, but these are my initial constructive opinions on NHL 18 so far.

ALSO, sliders, i have NOT touched these at all. Perhaps this can help with some of the issues.

There is probably a day 1 patch coming too to help fix any issues. I noticed there was a gameplay update last night. Not sure what it did.