Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football Sliders (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=495)
-   -   Penalty impact? (/forums/showthread.php?t=919852)

GoodyBucs 10-27-2017 04:56 PM

Penalty impact?

I see the major threads vary on penalties. I have always felt that major penalty adjustments mess up the game play, but every year can be different. What is the consensus for 18? Leave them alone so you don't degrade the game play or go ahead and adjust them to get a better sim feel because they don't impact game play?

GoodyBucs 10-27-2017 10:36 PM

Re: Penalty impact?

Am I missing something here? 54 people read this and not one had an opinion?

SteveMC36 10-27-2017 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodyBucs (Post 2049088169)
I see the major threads vary on penalties. I have always felt that major penalty adjustments mess up the game play, but every year can be different. What is the consensus for 18? Leave them alone so you don't degrade the game play or go ahead and adjust them to get a better sim feel because they don't impact game play?

from what i've seen, it doesnt effect gameplay per se, what it does do is things like increase the time your offensive line will have a false start animation and therefore increase the amount of times that penalty- so when you talk about it effecting gameplay, what exactly do you mean? so far for me i have been quite impressed with how much the animations match up with the penalty flags, like when a defensive back will stand in the way of my receiver and impede his progress forward, preventing him from making the catch, i get really pissed off and yell "thats interference!" lol, but then they (usually) throw the flag, which i think is pretty sweet.

if you watch an NFL game, there are usually anywhere from like 9-15 penalties called, they are a huge part of the game and have huge impact on its outcome, so i employ the same rule for my sim franchise. sometimes ill get like 5-6 called, other games there will be like 13-14, it can suck when they get called on you, but all in all makes the game a lot more enjoyable and much more like real life imo

GoodyBucs 10-27-2017 11:09 PM

I play all pro default and always use "play now" as I like to play games from that weeks upcoming schedule. I have felt penalty changes affect the cpu play calling. Usually causing them to go with a heavy dose of run calls to a lopsided and unrealistic amount of run/pass split.

Aestis 10-27-2017 11:14 PM

I have never seen anyone post any evidence whatsoever that penalty sliders have any impact on gameplay.

All I've ever seen are people make declarative claims. "This penalty slider has a huge impact on gameplay in XYZ ways."

But anyone can type that because our eyes tell us what we want to see. I'd enjoy being proven wrong, but like I said. Zero shreds of evidence that I have seen besides people's impressions.

When I massively swing penalty sliders in my 32-man league, I have never seen any change in key averages in the pass or run game. /shrug

GoodyBucs 10-27-2017 11:49 PM

Armor has almost default sliders with uptick of one on a few plus comments saying that it may cause issues while others like Flazko go far from default. Ugghhhhh, confusing.

Darth Aegis 10-28-2017 10:21 AM

Penalties affect gameplay.....period