Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Operation Sports Content and Other News (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Sports Gaming Subscription Model Roundtable (/forums/showthread.php?t=921114)

RaychelSnr 11-14-2017 10:36 AM

Sports Gaming Subscription Model Roundtable

Last week, EA CEO Andrew Wilson hinted very strongly that a sports gaming subscription model was...

Written By: Operation Sports

Click here to view the article.

The Senator 11-14-2017 01:38 PM

Re: Sports Gaming Subscription Model Roundtable

Like I said on the comments for the previous article, if they shift to the subscription model, I'm done. Period. End of story.

I want to own my games, not pay someone for a long term rental.

Cardot 11-14-2017 03:30 PM

I don't have a ton of time for gaming these days, and would definitely fall in the "casual" category. Typically I'll wait until a game is on sale and then play that for two or even three years before upgrading. Not sure there is even a place for folks like me in the new world??? When I do play sports games, I usually do along with the real season, so in February, any football games go up on the shelf.....and at that point, I don't think I will be too inclined to pay a subscription fee, nor deal with the hassle of cancelling. Meh, will be interesting when more details roll out.

Dazraz 11-14-2017 05:12 PM

We can talk about things like this as if they are simply natural progressions but what we need to accept is that none of these things will become reality unless there is a benefit to the developers.

snc237 11-14-2017 06:45 PM

If EA went 100 to 150 bucks a year I would be okay with that if it was there entire sports library. However what happens if I want the deluxe Edition for let's say NHL then what. **

Eyeman79 11-15-2017 09:29 AM

I doubt that this model would be considered if the developers didn't see the potential for increased profits. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking it will be done because it's what gamers want. Problem is, with limited competition in some sports games and none in others they will do what's best for them and we'll pay what they ask.

GlennN 11-15-2017 10:21 AM

I share the concerns of The Senator and Cardot. As strictly an offline gamer, who usually only plays sporting games during the season of that sport, I would have almost no interest in a subscription. Since I only play Franchise/Career play, updated rosters have no meaning for me. I rarely buy a game when it first comes out, and have stopped buying each year's release (as I had for many years in several sports). There is no way I am playing MORE than $60 a year/season for a game. I am not sure where this leaves me.

misterkrabz 11-15-2017 12:40 PM

I buy 1 EA title (Madden) every year and dabble if FIFA or NHL or one of their racers or shooters every other -or- every third year (or pick them up when the price drops to $30 or lower)....so in other words I buy 1.5 EA titles a year (on average). Any thing that charges me more than $90 a year and forces me to spend beyond that is where I tap out. I don't really care if I "own" a disk or not and usually buy the digital versions of these games anyway.*