Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Cover 2 (/forums/showthread.php?t=921774)

cch99 11-24-2017 04:37 PM

Cover 2

Can anyone explain to me how they use Cover 2 in this game ?

Anytime I am in Cover 2 and the CPU passes even if I shade outside anything on the outside over 10-15 yards is wide open. I get beat for long pass plays constantly when I play Cover 2.

A. Is this how Cover 2 is supposed to work ?

B. When do you usually play it and in what situations ?

I basically have just been avoiding using it. I play man probably 75% of the time. When I play a zone it will always be Cover 3 or Cover 1.

Just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

ggsimmonds 11-24-2017 04:46 PM

Re: Cover 2

Are you pressing?

Shade outside doesn't matter much if they are playing off.

Ultimately though the safety play is just too poor to accurately reflect a cover 2 scheme.

reyes the roof 11-24-2017 05:34 PM

Which variation are you using? Tampa 2 seems to work better at eliminating the window between the CB and safety compared to cover 2 sink and hard flat

Slim4824 11-24-2017 09:27 PM

That would be where the weakness in cover 2 is. Need to drop corners into a buzz to stop those.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Thunderhorse 11-25-2017 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reyes the roof (Post 2049126560)
Which variation are you using? Tampa 2 seems to work better at eliminating the window between the CB and safety compared to cover 2 sink and hard flat

Exactly.

Unless something changed in 18, you can tell your defensive backs to defend deep (triangle/Y and up on the RS) and the corners should give up the underneath route for a deeper one.

Cover 2's holes are behind the corners and the deep third between the safeties. On early downs you should look to keep the ball in front of you. On later downs (assuming your opponent is in a third and short situation) you should be using the press and banking on your pass rush to force the QB into a tough throw.

It really is a "bend don't break" defense.

cch99 11-27-2017 10:42 AM

Thanks for the input.

I messed around a little bit with adjusting the corners. I'm not sure how to put them into a buzz zone together. I can't do it individually fast enough.

I really only know the basic stuff like I can spread my whole defense or back everyone off but it still seems to give up that deep out if I don't get pressure.

Anyway, thanks again.

SpectreBugg 11-28-2017 10:07 AM

There are multiple Variations of cover 2 in the game, and you will want to run them according to the situation. Some basic information about the variations...

Tampa 2 - MLB should be playing deep third(mid read). Corners play cloud flat, meaning they are responsible for rerouting receivers inside and checking underneath deep routes first(outs, comebacks, corners), and jumping underneath routes after.

Cover 2 sink - MLB should be playing deep third(mid read). Corners play a "soft squat". What this means is that the corner will adjust his coverage based on the route concept of the offense. This could mean simply "sinking" back with the receiver, reducing the window between the safety and corner. They could also go man coverage if the route concept leaves them alone with the receiver. In a sink concept, the corner is going to leave the flat open 9/10 times in order to "blanket" deep routes.

Cover 2 carry - Similar to tampa 2(corners playing cloud flat), except in cover 2 carry the MLB is playing a hook zone instead of a mid read. This is designed to take away underneath routes in short yardage situations. He will be looking to attack any curls, slants, HB c routes, etc.. over the middle.(this leaves the safeties in deep halves instead of thirds, making deep routes more dangerous.

Cover 2 hard flat - MLB should be playing deep third(mid read). Corners are playing a hard flat, which means they will redirect and release the receiver, letting them go in favor of covering any routes coming to the flats. This has the most potential to hurt you deep, and should be called sparingly based on your opponents tendencies.

Cover 2 show 4 - Exactly like Tampa 2, except the corners align deeper(similar to what you see when you call cover 4).

Some things to note. In all of these options except cover 2 carry, you should be manually changing the MLB's assignment to deep third because mid read is actually broken this year, and the LB's(including the outside LB's in vert hooks) will not play their assignments properly if you don't. I also suggest that you user the MLB is these situations(especially in nickel as you can't make that adjustment).

when you hold the trigger to view the play art, the players are labeled. Corners will show as cloud flat, hard flat, soft squat... LB's will show as mid read, vert hook, 3rec hook, etc. Another good note is understanding what vert hook means(some people miss this). In most cover 2 situations, the outside lb's(or nickel cb) are in a vert hook assignment. THis means they will play according the route of the inside receiver. If they go vertical, the LB will run with them, otherwise the lb/cb will play the underneath route.

The best example i can think of for that is the dagger concept against cover 2 sink. The corner will drop with the deep in route about 10-13 yards, the nickel corner will carry the vert.. this leaves the drag concept coming across the field wide open in the flats unless the MLB chooses to jump it, which could in turn leave the in route open if the nickel corner doesn't drop the vertical in time. I've seen a lot of people complain about LB's or corners not being "where they should be" in cover 2 plays, but it's really just a matter of calling the right version against whatever your opponent is running.

Hopefully this helps you out.

cch99 11-28-2017 10:16 AM

Awesome. Thanks.