Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Pro Hockey (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022) (/forums/showthread.php?t=922830)

Majingir 12-06-2017 06:31 PM

Seattle Kraken (coming 2021-2022)

With the arena renovations being official, all the speculation on Seattle actually getting a team are coming in fast. Bob McKenzie thinks things could happen real fast. BoG meetings are this week, so they could potentially be discussing Seattle getting a team.

2020-2021 season would be the earliest a team could play.

At this point, it's just a matter of when not if the announcement will be made official. Also seems to be speculation that expansion fees could be over 600M this time around. Almost surely puts QC out of running if they did want to try again(which I doubt they would).

Give Seattle an expansion team in 2018 so teams got 2 years to prepare for the expansion draft. Then in 2018 or 2019 we could have a team relocate to QC.

I think Seattle Emeralds would be a great name for the team. Logo could be an emerald with the top part of it being the space needle shaped like a hockey puck.

TripleCrown9 12-06-2017 07:08 PM

Re: NHL to Seattle?

The best suggestion I've seen is the Seattle Cascades.

Majingir 12-07-2017 04:48 PM

As expected, Seattle expansion was talked about during BoG meetings. Bettman having media conference in about an hour. Though it is the NHL, you'll get alot of nothing.

Canucks seem to be in favour of this happening, so that's good news. Seeing the Jays and Mariners rivalry when jays play in Seattle, I'd expect the Vancouver VS Seattle one in hockey to be even better.

TripleCrown9 12-07-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majingir (Post 2049148380)
As expected, Seattle expansion was talked about during BoG meetings. Bettman having media conference in about an hour. Though it is the NHL, you'll get alot of nothing.

Canucks seem to be in favour of this happening, so that's good news. Seeing the Jays and Mariners rivalry when jays play in Seattle, I'd expect the Vancouver VS Seattle one in hockey to be even better.

Is that a thing? I don't think anyone considers Toronto/Seattle a rivalry.

I could see a hockey rivalry against Vancouver because the cities are a 3 hour drive apart, but I have literally never heard a single thing about the Mariners and Blue Jays being 'rivals'.

Majingir 12-07-2017 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleCrown9 (Post 2049148414)

I could see a hockey rivalry against Vancouver because the cities are a 3 hour drive apart, but I have literally never heard a single thing about the Mariners and Blue Jays being 'rivals'.

Not in the sense that when mariners comes to Toronto it means the same, but there definitely are battling crowds during games in Seattle. It's almost like a home game for jays when going to Seattle.

Majingir 12-07-2017 06:21 PM

Now it's confirmed. Seattle filing application to expand, nhl allowing them to begin a season ticket drive, though "this doesn't guarantee them a team" (to me it sounds like if the drive fails, they won't get a team, basically all other scenarios has them getting one). Applying to expand for 20-21 season.

Canes sold today, Seattle applying for expansion, what about QC? Canes could relocate to Houston. The guy owning them could own 100% of team in 3 years under terms of the sale, so maybe he will be allowed to move them by then, and with him being from Texas, just makes sense. Or even give that 48% to the Houston group wanting to bring a team there.

NHL having good idea about proper conference alignment by 2020, so if an east team needs to move, QC is waiting.

rdnk 12-07-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleCrown9 (Post 2049147196)
The best suggestion I've seen is the Seattle Cascades.

Seattle had a team called Metropolitans that won the Stanley Cup. If I had to place odds though, I'd go with Seattle Steelheads.

Expansion team in QC, and moving Carolina to Seattle makes a lot of sense to me.

TracerBullet 12-07-2017 08:26 PM

Metropolitans, Sockeyes, Steelheads, Sasquatch(es), Pilots and Totems are the names I see thrown around most. There is also a weird movement for Kraken and yeah, no. I personally have always like the Totems, but I don't expect that to be the resurrected Seattle name.

While I get the history, I don't really want the Metropolitans. Just doesn't seem right with a division already named that and it just doesn't really invoke much of what I think about when I think of Seattle.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleCrown9 (Post 2049148414)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majingir (Post 2049148468)
Not in the sense that when mariners comes to Toronto it means the same, but there definitely are battling crowds during games in Seattle. It's almost like a home game for jays when going to Seattle.

Yeah, Canadians come down heavy when the Jays are in town. Not sure I'd call it a rivalry per se, but it is a different type of series than most when the Jays come to Seattle.