Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   EA Sports UFC (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=535)
-   -   Why are fights not scored round by round in game? (/forums/showthread.php?t=923897)

RetractedMonkey 12-25-2017 12:16 AM

Why are fights not scored round by round in game?

I may be wrong or there may be a glitch, but it seems like fights in the beta would not be judged round by round. The scoring resembled PRIDE criteria to me. Even if I clearly win rounds 1-3, if my opponent wins 4-5 by a more significant margin than I won the other three, he will win.

I just want to know if others had this same experience and if a developer or gamechanger is privy to this knowledge. The judging computations appear to "overwrite" rounds that you've won if your opponent wins based the whole fight. Is this true and if so, why? The scoring criteria is far from perfect already, but round by round judging seems like an easy fix.

Dave_S 12-25-2017 12:29 AM

Re: Why are fights not scored round by round in game?

I wonder if it has anything to do with them trying to implement new scoring logic for new "unified:D" rules and scoring.

AeroZeppelin27 12-25-2017 02:27 AM

I found the judging in the beta was just all over the damn place.

The new judging criteria isn't in. From what I tested.
Hell, they barely judged grappling, 1 KD will outscore 4:00 of ragdolling somebody on the ground.

But I tested holding people down. Dominant grappling rounds (all vs the AI) and not one was scored 10-8, not one, some I even lost because my opponent landed a few combos during the 30 seconds the fight was on the feet.

Straight kickboxing matches seemed to be scored alright, not perfectly, but alright.
But I had one fight where grappling actually seemed to make the decision.
Online Ferg (Me) vs Diaz, I got outstruck by maybe 5-6 strikes a round, close as Hell, but I scored early and late TDs in rounds 1 & 3 and held a few minutes of top control, it went to an Majority Dec for me. But it could've easily been a draw, the other way.

That was my one good judging experience.

10-8 (and 10-7 9-8 and a heap of weird variations) seem to be the same as UFC 2, land a HEAP of KD's throughout the fight and you'll get one of them. Usually a 10-8, but yeah, no new criteria. I'm not positive if they're indeed 9-7 rounds, but I've have fights scored 28-23, 50-38, 23-27, all sorts of weirdness my tiny brain cannot comprehend.

Hope it gets patched/fixed up by retail. I don't want to be forced to look for a finish just because you can't have any faith in the judges, I want my finishes to cone naturally if they're gonna come.

And yes, I think this happens too, you can lab it in UFC 2, lose the first 2 rounds of a 3 rounder vs the AI decisively, then utterly dominante the third, sometimes its a split Dec where it should be a draw or Maj dec, and sometimes you'll even win..

Edit: Typo.

Nugget7211 12-25-2017 05:43 AM

As a jab-low kick outfighter, the scoring has been pretty good for me, obviously I've had a few weird scorecards where someone got 2 takedowns and like 45 seconds control time and won the round despite getting their leg chewed apart and kicked in the head a few times, but easily 90% of the time I felt my decisions went the right way and that in fights that got finished late the scorecards were pretty good.

I do think it needs some work and absolutely should be round by round, if I want to do an Aldo and coast the last 2 rounds after winning the first 3, I should be able to. I'd also like draws to be added in, although that might be difficult or they may have satisfaction concerns.

AeroZeppelin27 12-25-2017 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget7211 (Post 2049165927)
As a jab-low kick outfighter, the scoring has been pretty good for me, obviously I've had a few weird scorecards where someone got 2 takedowns and like 45 seconds control time and won the round despite getting their leg chewed apart and kicked in the head a few times, but easily 90% of the time I felt my decisions went the right way and that in fights that got finished late the scorecards were pretty good.

I do think it needs some work and absolutely should be round by round, if I want to do an Aldo and coast the last 2 rounds after winning the first 3, I should be able to. I'd also like draws to be added in, although that might be difficult or they may have satisfaction concerns.

I've found the standup judging to be fairly accurate.
But I've had the polar opposite judge reactions, I've had fights with relatively even standup that I've taken to the ground and dominated that aspect scored for the opponent.
I've had rounds I definately should have lost too just from (it seemed) coming forward and volume striking.

It just seems really inconsistent. One match, grappling seems to be accurately scored, the next, you can ragdoll someone for 15 minutes and then they get the Dec. Whoever scores a KD seems to win the round 90% of the time, too, in my experience, you can get clipped early, then dominate and still lose the round if you don't even out that KD.

(a low end alert KD shouldn't outscore 4 minutes of being outstruck, should it? I'd be interested to hear folks thoughts)

Once the judging was stable. I'd LOVE to see draws too.
I found the judging in 2 after all the patches to be reliable. I've had several offline and online fights I knew i'd won the first 3 rounds of. So i'd play the last two a lot safer, 95% of the time I got the nod.

I have no idea what the Critera was for UD3, and how the judges scored, but that game seemed to do draws well, I only ever had 2, out of about 1000 fights according to the stats,
Crazily enough, both times was Machida v Bader on simulation, both times he wrestled the Hell out of me for the first two rounds, then gassed, and I spent the 3rd handing down Karate kicks and almost finishing him 3 times, got a 28-28x3, and it felt right both times.

Nugget7211 12-25-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroZeppelin27 (Post 2049165937)
I've found the standup judging to be fairly accurate.
But I've had the polar opposite judge reactions, I've had fights with relatively even standup that I've taken to the ground and dominated that aspect scored for the opponent.
I've had rounds I definately should have lost too just from (it seemed) coming forward and volume striking.

It just seems really inconsistent. One match, grappling seems to be accurately scored, the next, you can ragdoll someone for 15 minutes and then they get the Dec. Whoever scores a KD seems to win the round 90% of the time, too, in my experience, you can get clipped early, then dominate and still lose the round if you don't even out that KD.

(a low end alert KD shouldn't outscore 4 minutes of being outstruck, should it? I'd be interested to hear folks thoughts)

Once the judging was stable. I'd LOVE to see draws too.
I found the judging in 2 after all the patches to be reliable. I've had several offline and online fights I knew i'd won the first 3 rounds of. So i'd play the last two a lot safer, 95% of the time I got the nod.

I have no idea what the Critera was for UD3, and how the judges scored, but that game seemed to do draws well, I only ever had 2, out of about 1000 fights according to the stats,
Crazily enough, both times was Machida v Bader on simulation, both times he wrestled the Hell out of me for the first two rounds, then gassed, and I spent the 3rd handing down Karate kicks and almost finishing him 3 times, got a 28-28x3, and it felt right both times.

Pressure and volume do seem to be weighted heavily, but they aren't the be all and end all like they were in 2, I won a decision online in the beta where I got outlanded by about 20ish strikes, but they were all 1-2s and I was landing low kicks and body kicks as well as clean counter 2-3s and I got given the fight 29-28 x3.

It does seem quite inconsistent though, and they seem to treat all knockdowns as equal. Like, alert knockdowns should count as knockdowns on the stats IMO and leg kick knockdowns shouldn't be weighted as heavily a body or head knockdown, because you can pretty easily get like 9 leg kick knockdowns and win a round like 10-6 which never, ever happens. Like, even Stephens-Melendez was scored with no more than 10-8s (30-26,30-26,30-25.) I'd be fine if they hardcoded 10-8s as the limit tbh, because I don't know the last time a 10-7 was awarded.

RetractedMonkey 12-25-2017 07:35 AM

That's another thing I noticed as well. Knockdowns absolutely should NOT be the the primary determining factor on who wins the rounds. I felt UFC 2 had excellent judging (again, it should have been round by round), but in their attempt to fulfill the new scoring method, they seem to have bugged it up.

Overall damage during the round>Positional dominance leading to damage>Knockdowns>Strikes Landed>Control Time>Octagon Control

Of course add in things that accumulate more points for you, but don't by themselves make up large chunks of scoring criteria like takedowns landed and submissions attempted. If I'm barely getting out damaged but, I have 2 takedowns and 2 close submissions, I still win the round-type thing.

Nugget7211 12-25-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey (Post 2049165955)
That's another thing I noticed as well. Knockdowns absolutely should NOT be the the primary determining factor on who wins the rounds. I felt UFC 2 had excellent judging (again, it should have been round by round), but in their attempt to fulfill the new scoring method, they seem to have bugged it up.

Overall damage during the round>Positional dominance leading to damage>Knockdowns>Strikes Landed>Control Time>Octagon Control

Of course add in things that accumulate more points for you, but don't by themselves make up large chunks of scoring criteria like takedowns landed and submissions attempted. If I'm barely getting out damaged but, I have 2 takedowns and 2 close submissions, I still win the round-type thing.

Yeah, I agree with this, except takedowns don't score (because they shouldn't) unless it's a big, damaging slam. Like, you don't get points for the kind of takedowns that happened in Cruz-Dillashaw. Obviously, you'd get points for a minute of top control and some elbows or whatever, but takedowns aren't scoring. But I agree with your fundamental point that knockdowns shouldn't win you the round if you lost 4 minutes before hand, like the first round of Weidman-Gastelum, Weidman won every second apart from the last 5 and people think that's a close round, which is insane to me.