Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Madden 17 Vs Madden 18 (/forums/showthread.php?t=926119)

NoFlyZoneAzCards 02-01-2018 06:15 PM

Madden 17 Vs Madden 18

Does anyone feel that they enjoy Madden 17 more then Madden 18? In my opinion I sure do it feels better and runs so much smoother. Reply with some feedback and tell me why or why you don’t enjoy one or the other thank you

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ 02-01-2018 06:41 PM

Re: Madden 17 Vs Madden 18

Madden 18 is more realistic, hands down. I feel like a lot of people who prefer 17 more do so because it was more arcadey. Easier to complete slants that unrealistically go all the way across the field, easier to just win with speed instead of football strategy, etc.

18 is not without flaw, though. Due to this realism, there is in some respect less user control (some instances are more dependent on dice rolls). Things like your linemen being beat by defenders, for example. The way it’s done looks more realistic, but it also feels a bit more scripted.

Better physics and better procedural awareness would help a lot, but there are limitations to this engine. I prefer better realism, so my vote goes to the more realistic game.

Overall, 18 is the better game, period. And simply for the reason that it is a more accurate representation of NFL football.

NoFlyZoneAzCards 02-01-2018 06:57 PM

Only thing I really do not like in Madden 18 is the tackling engine it’s horrible guys run up to each other and and collide and fall backwards or to the side it’s not tackling whatsoever lol

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ 02-02-2018 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoFlyZoneAzCards (Post 2049211601)
Only thing I really do not like in Madden 18 is the tackling engine it’s horrible guys run up to each other and and collide and fall backwards or to the side it’s not tackling whatsoever lol

There is one HUGE flaw in Madden 18 in terms of realism. It is the absolutely STUPID tackle game. Is it the button pressing that sucks? Nope. It is the embarrassing disappearance of MOMENTUM during that minigame. Magically a running back is completely reversed in direction despite no added momentum vector from the other guy involved in the play. It is DISGUSTING looking.

All they have to do is change the animation so the rb falls forward if the offense loses the minigame.

acethesnake 02-02-2018 09:39 AM

The tackle button pressing was in Madden 17, too. As unrealistic as it might look, I like it. It gives you a chance to stop what might be a big play, or if you're the RB, create one. You don't just have to rely on getting the right tackle animation or rating difference to win like before. It's one time where I think a very gamey addition really works.

OhMrHanky 02-02-2018 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ (Post 2049211996)
There is one HUGE flaw in Madden 18 in terms of realism. It is the absolutely STUPID tackle game. Is it the button pressing that sucks? Nope. It is the embarrassing disappearance of MOMENTUM during that minigame. Magically a running back is completely reversed in direction despite no added momentum vector from the other guy involved in the play. It is DISGUSTING looking.

All they have to do is change the animation so the rb falls forward if the offense loses the minigame.

I think they actually did a better job of this in 18 than 17. And, that is 1 reason I prefer 18, myself. Is it perfect, yet? Absolutely not! Lol. [emoji6] But, I remember writing a review while playing the early access version and I originally thought it was night and day. That was before any patches, I believe, however, and I think some things changed for the worse with the first patch (as did many, many other people). But, I have to say, I def think 18 has reduced these goofy tackle animations this year. And, I feel that most ISO plays, for example, tend to fall forward more often. Now, if it’s 3rd and inches, and u run ISO vs cpu, do NOT expect to fall forward. [emoji6]. I def think this was built into the game to make it tougher. Lol.

The other reason I prefer 18 is the jukes. Again, I will still not give them a perfect score on the animation and effectiveness of all jukes, but 18 is so much more satisfying. I truly feel when and where to juke, now, and while most of my best timed jukes are effective, they’re realistic enough that some don’t work, so it’s nowhere near a cheese fest. If I had to rate jukes between games (for overall fun, realism, dynamic, etc), I’d probably give the following scores out of 10):
M16 - 6.5 - jukes looked okay, but never really worked. It was always like, what’s the point?
M17 - 7.5 - jukes actually work from time to time, but something’s still off
M18- 9 - jukes actually WORK!! Amazing!!! I can’t believe madden jukes finally work!!!! Omg!!!! Lol. And, between the various precision jukes and speed jukes, they’ve done a good job with these. But, again, they’re not perfect by any means. The exit angles are still awkward sometimes, and the stiff arm is still WEAK regardless of the beast u use. I want to see some STRONG stiff arms in the future! The truck stick is pretty solid and doesn’t always work, so it’s realistic enough.

And, of course, I have Xbox one enhanced, so gotta rock the 18. It just has so much less jagged polygonal things going on. Just feels smoother overall.

Oh, and I only play as atl, and their stadium and the on field sunlight effects look great in 18. Lol. They prob didn’t have all the angles and whatnot before it was finished when they put it in 17, and in 17, it was always closed in franchise. So, that’s team specific, but still. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ 02-03-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acethesnake (Post 2049212227)
The tackle button pressing was in Madden 17, too. As unrealistic as it might look, I like it. It gives you a chance to stop what might be a big play, or if you're the RB, create one. You don't just have to rely on getting the right tackle animation or rating difference to win like before. It's one time where I think a very gamey addition really works.

Well I don’t have a problem with the concept in principle (well, I do, but I’m okay with it), just the animation that goes with it. Just have the running fall down, not backwards. When two people are engaged in a situation like that, the total velocity is near zero, which means total momentum is near zero, which means the gravity vector needs to be the most important influence... which means the rb should fall more down than back. In fact, given the usual situation and basic body mechanics, if the rb goes anywhere but straight down, it should be slightly forward.

But if they just get rid of the reversal of momentum and have the rb fall straight down in those scenarios I would be pacified.

JayCutlersCig 02-04-2018 05:22 PM

Honestly I thought both games were unrealistic, but I had much much more fun with 17 than I have 18. I played 17 all the way up to 18’s release date; with M18, I see myself stopping after the Super Bowl.

Is 18 a good game? I guess, depending on who you ask. But there are WAY too many glaring issues and flaws about this game, more so than 17 had IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports