Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Other Hockey Games (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   A New NHL Series game. (/forums/showthread.php?t=926166)

BigBadAss33 02-02-2018 12:08 PM

A New NHL Series game.

Simple question to everyone on this forum

Everyone agrees that EA is an absentee landlord just collecting rent from an overpriced leaky roofed apartment. So i have a question

(1)WHY is there no other software company willing to make a better HOCKEY game?

We all know we are really paying for the names of players and team names. So who would really care if you have a guy named STANLEY FROSBY # 87 on the Pittsford Emperors. I personally like the game 5 years into the future when most of the future players are retired.

Lets here your opinions?

Madwolf 02-02-2018 12:17 PM

Re: A New NHL Series game.

It's all about Market size. The video game Hockey Market is small, and if you want to tap into it you're going to need the NHL license and a AAA effort to snag enough of the small market to be profitable.

The first year or two the of the game are going to make it tough to earn your money back, and unfortunately the guys running these companies are only interested in what rakes in maximum profits. Diving into the hockey market just means taking a risk for a small potential return. In the current economy of Big Data, and 0 risks that's just not going to fly for most people in charge of marking share holders money.

EA Sports downsized the NHL team a few years ago when they started the UFC team, and has never really looked back. There is very little reason for them to give the Vancouver based team anything to work with for NHL when they're making money hand over fist on FIFA and can just dump even more resources into that instead.

Sure, they could use the FIFA profits to help out the NHL Franchise, but then you're not thinking like a modern businessman.

GlennN 02-02-2018 12:20 PM

Money makes the world go 'round! If there was money to be made, there would be another hockey game. Me? I don't need real player names (I play franchise, so eventually my league is full of fictional players). I don't even need real teams. But, the casual fan wants real players and real teams. Gotta have the licenses if you want to pitch to the masses. And, with the cost of developing games going up, there is just too high an entry barrier. Face it, hockey, as much as I love it, is a niche sport, and sales of a videogame version are just never going to be great.

Bucketman 02-02-2018 01:13 PM

I'm with GlennN as I really don't care what the name on the jersey says. I've always been into the franchise stuff, building teams and all of that. It would take some dedicated hockey people to put out a good platform that users could edit and no licences required. Sad thing is apparently nobody has the money and/or dedication to do it. I'm all for buying early access versions and things like that to fund a good idea, but there really is nothing around.

thedudedominick 02-02-2018 06:26 PM

I've always wished ea would partner with one of the sim sports games on PC and just have them work on the franchise while the current EA team focuses solely on gameplay and online.

Sent from my XT1650 using Operation Sports mobile app

Bucketman 02-03-2018 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madwolf (Post 2049212441)
It's all about Market size. The video game Hockey Market is small, and if you want to tap into it you're going to need the NHL license and a AAA effort to snag enough of the small market to be profitable.

The first year or two the of the game are going to make it tough to earn your money back, and unfortunately the guys running these companies are only interested in what rakes in maximum profits. Diving into the hockey market just means taking a risk for a small potential return. In the current economy of Big Data, and 0 risks that's just not going to fly for most people in charge of marking share holders money.

EA Sports downsized the NHL team a few years ago when they started the UFC team, and has never really looked back. There is very little reason for them to give the Vancouver based team anything to work with for NHL when they're making money hand over fist on FIFA and can just dump even more resources into that instead.

Sure, they could use the FIFA profits to help out the NHL Franchise, but then you're not thinking like a modern businessman.

While this is all true, I think the Madden team has all the resources they need but they can't get the game right either.

BleacherCreature 02-03-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBadAss33 (Post 2049212427)
Everyone agrees that EA is an absentee landlord just collecting rent from an overpriced leaky roofed apartment.

Greatest analogy ever

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Splitter77 02-05-2018 03:25 PM

I was hoping instead of making super mega baseball 2, that metalhead software was gonna make a super mega hockey.

But you would think by now there would be at least another hockey game out there.