Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Madden NFL Football (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=493)
-   -   Final Verdict Regarding Longshot (/forums/showthread.php?t=928182)

kennylc629 03-05-2018 08:46 AM

Final Verdict Regarding Longshot

I played Longshot mode for about a total of 13 minutes and I honestly believe 13 minutes was all I needed to deliver a final verdict... it's cute.

If EA released this as an iPhone app... man... I'd be all for it. It would be perfect as a mobile app. When I'm standing in line at the grocery store and the manager has to come with the key. When I'm on a long car ride and need to pass time. When I'm waiting 40 minutes at the doctors office. Those are all the times when playing Longshot is worth it, but to sit at my TV and play Longshot when i could be playing a game? Nah... I'll pass.

And this is my biggest fear. See... I firmly understand that it's a matter of resources. If EA has, say, 1,000 man hours to devote to the game, I understand that there is only but so much that you can do. So my fear is that this Longshot thing is going to take even more resources in Madden 19. The time that could be spent on improving franchise or address 'psychic defense' will be given to 'improving' Longshot.

Just me two cents.

svensenk86 03-05-2018 09:21 AM

Re: Final Verdict Regarding Longshot

I liked it pretty much, thought about playing it a second time…but it was just a thought. It was a nice 4hrs movie, instead of watching 2 movies I watched longshot with a little interactive mode. So for M19, why not, keep this rolling, but it is not a must have. I share also the opinion to invest more resources in franchise than a story mode.
But I think for M19 EA is just adjusting final sliders, hopefully they improved something else than the online mode -.-

PhillyPhanatic14 03-05-2018 10:47 AM

Like you said, it would be fine if like one dude was working on it all year and it got minimal improvements over time, but to divert CFM and gameplay resources to such a niche mode seems crazy.

Nunyerbiz 03-05-2018 11:26 AM

According to another thread bouncing around here, some EA Dev stated that the mode was largely a flop with the player base. I don't know if that means they double down to try and improve it... or cut their losses.

Generally speaking, I think these types of story modes are fine... *if* you have a good core game that doesn't need huge amounts of attention. See NBA2K, The Show or even FIFA for games with a much better foundation in place, where the core games are in a very good or at least solid state. That said, I think most of the time, these things are a distraction... something to do when you're bored with whatever you use as your standard play mode. I don't think they will ever be a major draw for people who were on the fence in regards to a purchase. It's a bone to throw your regular customers, not a way to get new eyes glued to the product.

I don't blame them for trying in Madden, but as others have already alluded to... every dime spent on Longshot is a dime not spent updating animations and AI... let alone adding depth to CFM.

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ 03-06-2018 03:48 AM

If Franchise mode and AI were up to par, I'd have played it. As it stands, I essentially boycotted it, knowing EA was keeping tabs on who played it. Is that fair to guys like Mike Young? Maybe not. But I'm sorry, there is no market competition for the game itself, so I am forced to divert my tiny, less than 0.0001% "market share" to modes that compete with Long Shot in hopes that enough people will do it so that EA listens to US and what WE want, instead of people who want to tell us what we want to be in the game.

I'll play Long Shot when Madden 19 comes out.

JayCutlersCig 03-06-2018 05:14 AM

I’m not a fan of hand-holding as far as Career Modes go. I’m a huge fan of the PS2 era Superstar Modes and I personally enjoy the freedom of customization and living the life of an NFL player.

When I realized it was so linear, I didn’t touch it, and instead watched a playthrough on Youtube. I wasn’t all that impressed and still haven’t touched Longshot as a result.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Grey_Osprey 03-06-2018 07:21 AM

Didn't touch it in Madden18 and won't touch it in Madden19.

Ueauvan 03-06-2018 08:28 AM

i watched it on youtube realising the linear approach and decided never to play it if i ever bought m18