Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   Are modes like Diamond Dynasty legitimately well received by fans? (/forums/showthread.php?t=928780)

BionicJoker 03-15-2018 01:30 PM

Are modes like Diamond Dynasty legitimately well received by fans?

Wall o’ Text: Inbound

I’ve been playing The Show for years. I’ve always loved it, I spend most of my time in Franchise mode while dabbling in RTTS every so often. I never even think about playing Diamond Dynasty for a second.

Now ever since games started having these game types like Diamond Dynasty (i.e. Ultimate Team) it’s never intrigued me. I tried it out at first, understood the concept, played it for a while, didn’t care for it so I left it alone. Never quite understood the popularity of it.

Now aside from these kind of game modes being such obvious cash grabs, are they really being so well received by fans of the game to let your main modes like RTTS and Franchise go by the waist side? Or even to the point now where the official way of playing tournament style is with teams formed in this game mode?

Now yes, this is sorta stemming from the announcement today of the “revamping” of Franchise mode, which turned out to be nothing more than simulating to certain points of the season and changing a couple of screens in the user interface.
Basically showing that they did absolutely nothing to the mode itself, while it being glaringly obvious they invested all their time to trying to beef up Diamond Dynasty.

It’s not just The Show either. Madden has even forgotten that Franchise and My Player are a thing and only focused on Ultimate Team and the horrendous Telltale-esque story mode. It just seems that developers that focus on these game types will let their quality of other modes suffer just for a few extra bucks, and I absolutely think it’s the worst business for game developers to practice.

Dolenz 03-15-2018 01:36 PM

Re: Are modes like Diamond Dynasty legitimately well received by fans?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BionicJoker (Post 2049268964)
Now aside from these kind of game modes being such obvious cash grabs, are they really being so well received by fans of the game to let your main modes like RTTS and Franchise go by the waist side? Or even to the point now where the official way of playing tournament style is with teams formed in this game mode?

Yes, they are received well. If you go to other forums for the game they are a all pretty much focused on DD. The fan base here being so Franchise focused is the anomaly.

I have not seen them let RTTS go by the wayside. Like them or Hate them, RTTS has gotten pretty substantial updates that last couple of years. This years changes are pretty huge.

underdog13 03-15-2018 01:37 PM

go to r/mlbtheshow on reddit, all they talk about is DD.

jb12780 03-15-2018 01:41 PM

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrArlingtonBeach 03-15-2018 01:42 PM

I was pretty much in the same boat as the OP when it came to card-collecting modes. I didn't like Ultimate Team in Madden...it was actually Diamond Dynasty that began to turn me on to them.

I really like the Risk-style Conquest mode, especially. You don't play others online - as we all know, online has been a struggle for The Show for years. And being a bit of a board game geek, I liked the format.

Collecting baseball cards has been something I enjoyed as a kid, and it translates really well to DD. DD also allows for a bit of creation, in the way of your team's uniforms. So it scratches that itch, too.

SoxFan01605 03-15-2018 01:56 PM

Look at streams/channels for the 3 major sports games. Its MUT, DD, etc and MyCareer, RTTS.

That's not to say franchise mode can't be improved to be more popular, but the quick and focused nature of these other modes are not only easy and fun for a lot of people to play, but for people to follow, share, etc...which is the current trend in gaming.

Rocket32 03-15-2018 02:06 PM

Of course, otherwise modes like DD and UT wouldn’t have become the main focus by far in every sports game except NBA2K. Modes like DD and UT getting most of the attention isn’t a coincidence.

WhiteBunny 03-15-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BionicJoker (Post 2049268964)
Wall o’ Text: Inbound

The fans love DD like modes. Not fans of baseball, probably. Just check the sub-reddit of The Show in the last two years, you will struggle to find a single thread in which players talk about baseball stuff. It's all about diamonds, cards and trash talk. These are the players which SDS try to make happy now. For me, it's a middle finger to the most loyal and dedicated fanbase. But you know, opinions.