Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not? (/forums/showthread.php?t=929622)

WaitTilNextYear 03-26-2018 08:08 PM

For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not?

First of all, some ground rules, please.

Quote:

1. No bashing of devs, name-calling, or anything else childish that would make the mods have to close this. The SDS devs are not dumb, stupid, lazy, evil, wanting you to fail as a person, or anything else silly like that.

2. No ragging on others who are enjoying the game or who enjoy the game in a different way than you might. We've seen enough "DD players are ruining this game" sentiment to last a lifetime and more.

This is a game that I purchased a PS4 specifically to play MLB 14 and then purchased a PS4 Pro specifically for last year's game. In addition to buying every edition until now, I would say my level of investment has been pretty heavy. Before even counting all the uncountable hours put into rosters, sliders, tips and advice, posting about franchises and so forth.

With that said, I find it really unfortunate that I am foregoing purchase of MLB 18 The Show this year, but I have my reasons (which I've documented quite extensively here on OS in several threads).

However, enough about me, I am more interested in those of you who are not buying this game this year and what your red line issue turned out to be?

Was it something that was taken out? Something that you wanted added to the game, but wasn't? Do you just normally buy the game every 2 years? Other reasons? What (briefly, please no wish lists!!) would get you back in for MLB The Show 19?

I think it would be interesting to hear from people who actually decided not to purchase the game this year apart from all the maybe/maybe nots. If the mods don't agree that this is a worthy topic for discussion, I expect them to simply close and/or nuke this thread in their particular manner. If nobody else decided not to purchase, then this topic will sink like a rock and won't be an issue anyhow. lol

xVVIllx 03-26-2018 08:24 PM

Re: For Those Who Are Not Buying MLB The Show 18, Why Not?

The fact that they removed online franchise claiming that more people play offline than online franchise is ridiculous. The only reason this “data” they collected may be true is because the mode was virtually unplayable for the first 2 months after release last year. I know many players that play online leagues and have ran my own league the past several years since the mode came into existence. To me it’s sad that they sold their soul to the cash cow that is Diamond Dynasty. I do not blame them for following the money and helping the servers for diamond dynasty, but it shows disrespect to the gamers that don’t like seeing Babe Ruth in a neon green helmet and appreciate building teams the old fashioned way AGAINST OTHER PEOPLE. It’s still difficult for me to pass on this game but it wouldn’t make sense to buy it when the only mode I ever played is gone. They chose their cash cow over a large percent of their loyal customers and that’s why I’m sticking with MLB 17.

PPerfect_CJ 03-26-2018 09:31 PM

If they don’t fix the roster share glitch and we’re not able to use Ridin’s OSFM, there is no way on earth I’m buying this game. Add that to the fact that SOTS aren’t working correctly, they removed online franchise, and removed season mode (without saying a word) and it’s been a REALLY disappointing start for ‘18.

fnz21 03-26-2018 09:40 PM

Due to the roster sharing glitches right now and the fact that they didn't add actual faces for most guys making their debuts last year, I really wish I didn't preorder digitally.

I'm sure the game plays well and will even better after the first patch, but even with that, it's not really worth the $60 when I could have stuck with last year's roster and have all the players look the same.

If card-collecting modes are the future of sports gaming and offline players are placed on the shelf, then it looks like I'm on my way out.

Cory4AU 03-26-2018 09:41 PM

This may be my last year to purchase for a while. I thought 17 was the best game yet and 18, in my opinion, is kind of meh. Add in the fact that they took out online franchise, removed space for SOTS, and barely touched franchise mode all for the sake of online gameplay. They failed to mention that season mode was cut or the fact that they cut the SOTS space. I think it's easy to see that their main focus this year and for the foreseeable future is on DD and online play. Plus, they keep messing up stuff with these patches, which I know they will fix eventually, but it's so aggravating. 18 has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

WaitTilNextYear 03-26-2018 10:11 PM

Hey guys, I hear all your gripes loud and clear; in many cases I share them. However, in this thread I was hoping to hear from folks who didn't purchase the game rather than from people who are feeling buyer's remorse. This isn't really a "trash the game thread" lol, although that might be a fine distinction. I mean if you want to post in here, by all means, but I am actually really interested in figuring out what makes someone ultimately buy or not buy the game.

nemesis04 03-26-2018 10:16 PM

I bought 18 but would not have purchased if I had known season mode was pulled.

Here is my story:

My main mode I played was online franchise and was bummed that it was taken but I accepted it was gone and restrategized what I was going to do in 18. I waited to pre-order until I watched the Franchise stream. After not hearing about any major shifts I decided to pre-order figuring I would end up in season mode anyway (my second mode of choice).

I always enjoyed reading about people creating classic rosters for specific time periods and running them in season mode. Figuring there was no online I would invest time in season mode and create some rosters. I spent a chunk of time creating them and was anxious to get them to 18. The rest is history as we surprisingly found out Friday morning there is no season mode to be had. The time wasted makes me boil and the selective transparency on SDS's part is beyond comprehension.

I have not even opened 18 since it was downloaded. I could not even tell you what the opening intro is. Not 1 inning of 18 played so far and I am not sure if I will play it at all.

PPerfect_CJ 03-26-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear (Post 2049287361)
Hey guys, I hear all your gripes loud and clear; in many cases I share them. However, in this thread I was hoping to hear from folks who didn't purchase the game rather than from people who are feeling buyer's remorse. This isn't really a "trash the game thread" lol, although that might be a fine distinction. I mean if you want to post in here, by all means, but I am actually really interested in figuring out what makes someone ultimately buy or not buy the game.

I HAVEN’T bought it, yet and it ain’t lookin’ good. Spent my $60 on Far Cry 5.