Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   CPU Bullpen logic issues remain in 18! (/forums/showthread.php?t=930502)

tnixen 04-05-2018 12:02 PM

CPU Bullpen logic issues remain in 18!

Maybe I am the only one who feels this way for so long version after version but why does MLB The Show 18 and all earlier versions CPU Bullpen logic make such terrible pitching decisions all the time?

Good example

I was playing an exhibition game between the Houston Astros me vs Detroit Tigers CPU. And Pitcher "Michael Fulmer" CPU in my opinion was pitching very well against me. It was top of the 7th and he had only thrown 44 pitches and given up no runs and 7 hits. So anyway I see the Tigers already have pitchers warming up in the bullpen which I think is crazy. And so my lead off guy gets a little base hit into right field which makes it 45 pitches and 8 hits total for CPU Pitcher Michael Fulmer and sure enough the CPU pulls him for a reliever right after that hit.

Now I admit I am not the most knowledgeable baseball guy in the world but my god don't you think that is just crazy for pulling your number 1 starting pitcher after only throwing 45 freaking pitches and 8 hits with a 2-0 lead?

I mean this is even worse bullpen managing then Phillies new manager Gabe kapler! :( lol

Why has this been an issue for so long without getting fixed?

Thanks

Aceieus 04-05-2018 12:07 PM

Re: CPU Bullpen logic issues remain in 18!

Seems to me that you want sim play but your not playing sim play.

How did he get that far into the game with only 45 pitches. If your wanting sim maybe take a few pitches get a few walks and drive his pitch count up a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

underdog13 04-05-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceieus (Post 2049305110)

How did he get that far into the game with only 45 pitches. If your wanting sim maybe take a few pitches get a few walks and drive his pitch count up a little.

But that doesn't explain or excuse the poor logic.
He had 8 hits so if he was getting pitches to hit you gotta swing away.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tnixen 04-05-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceieus (Post 2049305110)

Because I was swinging at a lot of first pitches which looked very hit able to me.

But anyway that has nothing to do with why the CPU pitcher gets pulled with so little pitches thrown.

It seems like the CPU AI takes into account more how many innings the starting pitcher has pitched then how many pitches he has thrown which is dumb in my opinion.

tnixen 04-05-2018 12:23 PM

O and by the way as I expected after CPU brings in the new pitcher I get a few hits and tie the game up blowing what was a great game pitched so far by the CPU!. So yeah I was happy I tied the game but but at the same time I was pissed because this is just not very realistic and kind of feels like cheating on my part.

I have no idea how any of you true sim baseball guys can put up with this crap?

SDS does not seem to want to fix this! :(

I still have a lot of issues with this "wonderful baseball game" but the CPU AI management logic probably drives me nuts the most.

JayhawkerStL 04-05-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnixen (Post 2049305142)
O and by the way as I expected after CPU brings in the new pitcher I get a few hits and tie the game up blowing what was a great game pitched so far by the CPU!. So yeah I was happy I tied the game but but at the same time I was pissed because this is just not very realistic and kind of feels like cheating on my part.

I have no idea how any of you true sim baseball guys can put up with this crap?

SDS does not seem to want to fix this! :(

I still have a lot of issues with this "wonderful baseball game" but the CPU AI management logic probably drives me nuts the most.

I don't know how a true sim baseball guy takes so few pitches.

The harsh reality is, SDS is aware that many of its customers are swing happy, which throws off the pitch count. You are who they made Quick Counts for. But further, most people that are so swing happy aren't focused on pitch counts, so I'm sure SDS included AI logic to consider inning and hits given up as part of the decision making process to pull an AI pitcher.

Honestly, this is a feature, not a bug. The inability of video game baseball players not to swing at every pitch has been the bane of every baseball game dev's existence.

Good hitters take strikes all the time. That curveball low the zone for a strike? That is a not a good pitch to swing at with no strikes. Wait for your pitch. If you are so gun ho to swing at everything, then working with two strikes ought to be easy for you. But you might find some nice juicy pitches out over the plate along the way.

Look at what you did. You managed 7 hits in 6 innings and scored no runs. And you did it by averaging just 1.76 pitches a batter. Maybe take some pitches, and instead of empty singles, you might find some pitches to drive for extra bases and drive in some runs.

The average number of pitches per at-bat is 4. Had you done exactly that with the same results, the pitcher would have been at 100 pitches by the the 7th.

My personal goal every inning, especially when the starter is till in, is to see 15 pitches every inning, minimum. That gets me to 90 pitches after 6 innings. I don't always make it, but sometimes I can drive it up well over that. But it gets me in the mindset to wait for good pitches.

countryboy 04-05-2018 01:52 PM

I really don't see this as a glaring issue.

Sure if you look at pitch counts then you could be concerned, but had gotten 8 hits off of him thru 6 innings (he hadn't recorded an out in the 7th), so he was giving up 1 hit per inning. In my mind, while the pitcher is up 2-0 and has a low pitch count, he obviously doesn't have swing and miss stuff and the hitters, whether hitting good pitches or bad pitches, are able to make solid enough contact for base hits.

If its late in the game and I'm up only 2-0 and the tying run is coming to the plate, I'm considering using my bullpen despite what the pitch count might be for the starting pitcher, and especially considering that he has scattered 8 hits over 6 innings.

As a manager I'm thinking this:

Tying run at the plate and my starter has been scattering hits all game. Maybe going to the pen will get a fresh arm out there that has swing and miss stuff or at least can get "weak" contact for quick outs.

The fact the bullpen blew the lead isn't relevant to the manager's decision to pull the starter.

bspring3 04-05-2018 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy (Post 2049305355)
I really don't see this as a glaring issue.

Sure if you look at pitch counts then you could be concerned, but had gotten 8 hits off of him thru 6 innings (he hadn't recorded an out in the 7th), so he was giving up 1 hit per inning. In my mind, while the pitcher is up 2-0 and has a low pitch count, he obviously doesn't have swing and miss stuff and the hitters, whether hitting good pitches or bad pitches, are able to make solid enough contact for base hits.

If its late in the game and I'm up only 2-0 and the tying run is coming to the plate, I'm considering using my bullpen despite what the pitch count might be for the starting pitcher, and especially considering that he has scattered 8 hits over 6 innings.

As a manager I'm thinking this:

Tying run at the plate and my starter has been scattering hits all game. Maybe going to the pen will get a fresh arm out there that has swing and miss stuff or at least can get "weak" contact for quick outs.

The fact the bullpen blew the lead isn't relevant to the manager's decision to pull the starter.

Not to mention, that in today's game, the main rule of thumb is to not let your SP pitch to the lineup for a 3rd time unless he is dominating. Giving up 8 hits in this instance is not dominating.